Looking For a New Computer Mic

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Hey folks, so a couple years back I asked you all to help me decide on a computer to get that was within my budget. And you freaking delivered. I got a really good laptop on a really good deal because you're all super bright and knowledgeable. So here we are again.

I'm looking to get a new mic for my computer. Not a headset, just a mic, like one that connects to the computer but sits beside it somewhere. In the future I hope to be doing more letsplays with @Null Hypothesis and folks, and it'd be really helpful to have a decent quality mic that we can both speak into without having to jerry-rig the audio.

This is a field I don't know much about, but I'm hoping to get a decent mic for around $50, ideally less. I know Cyber Monday is coming up, and some sales have already started, so I feel like this would be a good opportunity to get a mic.

Please lemme know if you have any questions or comments, or if you know of a sale or know where to look.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Simple, the best choice is the Blue Yeti.

I purchased my Blue Yeti so long ago that I can't recall the date, but it has held up exceptionally well. For a price range of just above $100 it has exceptional quality. Make sure to keep an eye out, they go on sale commonly for $80, which isn't too far from your budget. The Yeti by Blue microphones has a design that works for what it is intended for, which is direct to computer recording. With it's heavy and stable stand there is no worry of toppling this microphone. This is a good thing considering the microphone itself is quite heavy. The stand is also adjustable so that you can position it with relative ease for when it's time to record. I have managed to strip one of the screws on my mic, but that's because I started playing with them when I was bored... not my best idea. With only one working screw, it is still very stable.

The microphone itself is excellent, it has a great pickup range across the frequencies. So, if you have been using a cheaper mic you should notice a night and day difference. I know I did. However, I have also played with some other mics in higher price ranges and could notice where the Yeti was a bit flat. The microphone also has a built in audio jack for live monitoring. This allows the user to listen to what the microphone is picking up which is great for boosting your production value and catching annoying noises before you get to post. Between the mini-USB port and the audio jack is the threaded mount for a mic stand. This isn't any use to a person who plans to use it in the included stand but allows for expansion on your setup in the future with radial shock mounts and mic stands. Nothing says "legit" like having your mic in a radial shock mount hanging from a studio microphone arm.

I have noticed with my usage though that the microphone has a very sensitive filament. This is both a pro and a con. While it can pick up a great range of volume, from quiet whispers to explosive rants, it can also easily pick up the noise in the background like your key presses on the keyboard, the click of the mouse and possibly annoying inhabitants of your house. I would recommend asking roommates to masturbate quietly while you're recording. This can be adjusted on the fly with the mic's gain knob located on the back. However, even at the minimal setting it can be quite sensitive.

There is also another know below the gain which changes the microphone's pickup pattern. In plain English, it modifies the direction(s) that the microphone is most sensitive too. This is probably the most advantageous feature to you. The mic can do Cardioid, Omnidirectional, Bidirectional, and Stereo.

Despite your pickup patten, if any sound is loud or close enough, a microphone will pick it up. Also, I am no expert, I am just a fellow user that picks up this stuff on the fly. If you want a more comprehensive terminology list with more in depth explanations, check out this page.

Cardioid

This pickup pattern is named based on it's shape, it looks like a heart. Best for picking up vocals and instruments placed directly in front of the microphone.

Omnidirectional

This pickup pattern is simple, it picks up audio in all directions around the mic, except up and down.

Bidirectional

This pickup patten looks like a 8, with sound being picked up from the microphones front and back. This would probably be ideal for you use if cardioid doesn't sound better.

Stereo
This pattern is similar to bidirectional except that the mic picks up audio mostly to the front with sensitivity to the sides to create two channels of audio. Consider it mostly like a fancy form of Cardioid.

Overall, while this microphone isn't exactly in your price range, if you were to splurge and buy this you would not regret it. I remember being in the same boat as you and not wanting to purchase anything too expensive when I got mine on sale, I do not regret the money I spent on this mic. Buy something that you can grow into, not something you will grow out of.

TL;DR: 11/10, would buy again.

P.S If you really can't afford to purchase the Blue Yeti, then the next best option I've hear a lot of good things about is the Blue Snowball.

Thrown together to help you make an informed purchase and avoid buyer's regret.
RECONmaster

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Whoa! Thanks for the post, @RECONmaster ! The Blue Yeti seems like it's all that I'd need and more, but that's looking to break my budget pretty thoroughly. This is hobby material, not job material. I don't know I can dump that much at this time. Do the Blu Yetis regularly get discounted to $100? If so I think I might wait it out and buy one at a later date. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards the Snowball. I'll talk to other folks about it too, though.

@Null Hypothesis Hm...I'm around almost all of winter break, which starts Dec. 14th. I'm thinking then we can record a TON of stuff.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
Depending on how job stuff works out I might be able to pick one up un the near future. I'm going to need a mike or headset for my new tower anyway.

Top Bottom