Forum Games: Guidelines

Should Mafia games have their own subforum?

• Yes

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Introduction
May I begin this thread by stating, I am not in anyway qualified to make a post like this. However, I do have the time and credentials to make a sticky and as such I'm going to go ahead and do so. This thread will be continuously updated as players and game masters (GMs) submit their thoughts. If your a player or a game manager, feel free to reply and I'll update the post, hopefully we can make a cool guidebook for people interested.

Titling Your Thread
Now here is the only section that I can personally set some guidelines on. Starting with the prefix, we just implemented some thread prefixes that are specific to this section of the site. There are Recruiting, Active, Inactive, Hiatus, Ended and Continuous. It's pretty self explanatory.

Recruiting: The game is currently looking for people to signup. Not really for gauging interest.
Active: The game is no longer seeking new players and is in progress. Depending on the (GM) you may be able to still join.
Inactive: The game has been inactive for 2 weeks and has had no mention of being put on hold. It has practically died.
Hiatus: The GM and players have agreed to put the game on hold for the convenience of everybody involved.
Ended: The game was played to completion or was Inactive for 2 weeks after being marked inactive (4 weeks since last post.)
Continuous: The game isn't intended to end and goes on indefinitely. These games typically can go inactive for weeks without being officially marked inactive and then be resurrected with little or no change in game flow.

Following the prefix would be the title of your thread which should be representative of your game. It can be loosely related but anybody should be able to understand what it is without too much inside or prior knowledge.

Following the title is the optional status. Most of the time, Mafia games put what day they're in surrounded by brackets of some sort.

Running The Game
Awaiting feedback

Typical Player Feedback
Awaiting feedback

Last edited:

Dunsparce

There are some games that aren't really designed to end, like the Get the Cookie Thread. Maybe add a prefix that says "Continuous" or something. You could also just make a separate board. On URealms we had boards for all sorts of games.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
By the way, what's the proper board to post a CYOA story?
Forum Games sounds the most appropriate. We're not really strict on what thread goes where, the community is small enough to allow a new post to be noticed anywhere except the Shadow Zone Realm. I just dump things in there to die.

Requiem

I think making a specific board for certain types of games makes sense. Or at least two sub boards for Mafia and specifically Community Games & Nonsense.

In the past, and also now it seems, we've had a lot of activity when it comes to mafia. It usually warrants making someone a mod and giving Mafia its own section, though I would personally talk to the main mafia people about that. As much as I love the game, I'm not as fully involved with it as I used to be years ago.

Making @Jeroth a mod of the (hypothetical) board would be a good idea, though with him being so busy, it makes sense if there's someone else for the job or just someone there to help him. Maybe Tirin since he's already a global mod.

As for Community Games & Nonsense, I admit this isn't something that's fully needed as a sub board, but it's worked well for us in the past. Helps keep things organized as well. If there were to be a board mod for that, @Colonel Thunder would be a good choice, if he says he has the time.

This isn't really me trying to make anything happen, just more of a suggestion of how we've done things in the past that has worked well for organization and maintenance. For what it's worth, I'd say a mafia board would be definitely needed, with CG&N sadly coming at a somewhat distant second.

(Though even just renaming Forum Games to Community Games & Nonsense would tickle my nostalgia pickle.)

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
I'll tickle that pickle in a non-sexual way and start a poll. Hopefully Hillary Clinton doesn't rig the fuck out of it.

Walrus

Considering the string of mafia games we have now, a "mafia board" would make sense for organizing that stuff. People like to read through earlier games from time to time, and having them all organized in a board would help for that.

However, I wouldn't make the board exclusively for mafia games. There are some other hidden role games that could also work within that board: One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Secret Hitler, Spyfall, the Resistance, Bang, 2 Rooms and a Boom, etc. I'd say that the element tying all those kinds of games together is the signing up for a winnable social game that has a definite end-game point and that will be played over the forums in its own thread. I could conceivably start up a game that isn't a hidden role game (e.g. Celestia) but I would still feel that it belongs in this subforum if it has these elements. The most important distinction: Is this a game I can jump in and start/stop playing anytime I want, or is this a game I need to sign-up for and that I'm expected to commit to playing?

I personally intend to setup some more games of One Night Ultimate Werewolf and to start up some games of Spyfall.

Requiem

Calling it a Mafia board would still make sense though. It's more of an umbrella term in reference to games where an uninformed majority are against an informed minority. If you mention mafia, people get that you're also mentioning other games like Werewolf.

Walrus

Yeah. What I'm picturing is a title like 'Mafia board' with a subtitle like 'Board for playing Mafia and similar games.' Title could change later if the board ends up being dominantly used for a game that isn't Mafia (highly unlikely)

But you don't know your stuff, Req. Some of the newer games have equally informed sides or an informed majority alongside an uninformed minority. Look at 2 Rooms and a Boom and Spyfall if you want to see some innovative stuff.

Last edited:

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
While a modded mafia subforum seems, to me, to be a pretty good idea, I don't think that CGaN would need a moderator if mafia and mafia derivatives were split off from it. While a mafia board could no doubt benefit from better organization and mod oversight, CGaN will lose a significant amount of traffic with mafia gone - at the time I'm posting, the seven most recently-active threads (excepting this one) are all mafia or mafia-related.

Based on this, I can't say I see a need for a CGaN moderator right now. While TC would be an excellent choice for the position, he'd have very little work to do, as rigidly organizing CGaN would to some degree defeat the purpose of the board and just making sure that nobody's too big an asshole is already done by the report system.

Requiem

Yeah, that's mainly why I mentioned changing the name would be a good idea. I mainly wanted to mention what we have done in the past as opposed to what we should do right this second. If the need comes up, it's something to consider for later. Just having it be called CG&N is good enough to me.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
I knew somebody would vote for Hillary in the poll. I should have dropped her off the ballot, she offers nothing productive to us.

Zircom

Considering the string of mafia games we have now, a "mafia board" would make sense for organizing that stuff. People like to read through earlier games from time to time, and having them all organized in a board would help for that.

However, I wouldn't make the board exclusively for mafia games. There are some other hidden role games that could also work within that board: One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Secret Hitler, Spyfall, the Resistance, Bang, 2 Rooms and a Boom
how would bang work in a forum setting?

too big an asshole using the report system.
fixd

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Making @Jeroth a mod of the (hypothetical) board would be a good idea, though with him being so busy, it makes sense if there's someone else for the job or just someone there to help him. Maybe Tirin since he's already a global mod.
Eh, I can manage a mafia board. It's not like I have to deal with shitposters. I just need to organize the shelves from time to time.

Top Bottom