GamerGate

D

Deleted member 13

Unregsistered User
This thread needs a trigger warning, there's so much misogyny in here.

Check your privilege, shitlords.

Frilzer

So basically, as I understand it, the name gamergate attracts the attention of feminist to try to make a point... about men, er 'gamers', being... bad? And attracts the loose term of 'gamers' to call for... ethics reform in game reviews...? Whatever that means, because all media could use an 'ethics reform'. And attack said feminist?

Right?

Firedemon

I think something finally talked too fast for me, but I think after the second rewatch I got it.

A bunch of asshats accused a game reviewer of giving a game favorable reviews because he wanted to be/is in a relationship with the game's female developer. Several websites then all backed him up at once and said "You're a bunch of douche bags", to which these douche bags responded "NO U" and created GamerGate, from which they spew forth bullshit, typically misogynistic in nature. Right?

D

Deleted member 13

Unregsistered User
A bunch of asshats accused a game reviewer of giving a game favorable reviews because he wanted to be/is in a relationship with the game's female developer.
Exchanging sex for favorable reviews is generally considered unethical. And borderline prostitution.

I like how people claiming the moral high ground are the first to justify disgustingly unethical acts and beliefs, including, but not limited to, lying, coercion, nepotism, threats, bullying promotion, autism shaming, suicide encouragement, unwarranted comparisons to ISIS/Nazis/KKK, and general attempts to silence any and all dissent or open conversation.

Firedemon

Exchanging sex for favorable reviews is generally considered unethical. And borderline prostitution.

I like how people claiming the moral high ground are the first to justify disgustingly unethical acts and beliefs, including, but not limited to, lying, coercion, nepotism, threats, bullying promotion, autism shaming, suicide encouragement, unwarranted comparisons to ISIS/Nazis/KKK, and general attempts to silence any and all dissent or open conversation.
Never said it was right. I said he was accused of it. I have no fucking idea what is going on.

Requiem

Then get educated. I'm not gonna jump down your throat, but before you talk about a subject, at least go read about it a little to get the major and fine details down.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
tl;dr edition: Game journalism is corrupt and terrible, but any attempts to talk about it will be shut down the moment you say "GamerGate", because GamerGate has a lot of cunts rallied under it, which obviously means that the movement as a whole is invalid and everyone supporting it is a misogynist.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
It's just my opinion, but I think GamerGate is too far gone to bring any good into play. Game journalism has a lot of issues that need to be addressed, but I don't think it's possible to do that successfully under the banner of GamerGate at this point.

13thforsworn

tl;dr edition: Game journalism is corrupt and terrible, but any attempts to talk about it will be shut down the moment you say "GamerGate", because GamerGate has a lot of cunts rallied under it, which obviously means that the movement as a whole is invalid and everyone supporting it is a misogynist.
GamerGate and anti-GamerGate movements have a lot of cunts rallied around them. Both sides are so radicalized, that no actual legitimate conversation can be had. If you're pro-GG, you're a misogynist, and if you're anti-GG, you're a fedora wearing SJW that's trying to get their dick wet. Or a whore if you're a women.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I've seen more efforts to be reasonable by people who count themselves as part of GamerGate than I have by the opposition, so at least there's that. Taking the very worst things that people on the other side do as your go-to complaint and deciding that that makes them wrong about an entire issue is really, really stupid.

D

Deleted member 13

Unregsistered User
It's just my opinion, but I think GamerGate is too far gone to bring any good into play. Game journalism has a lot of issues that need to be addressed, but I don't think it's possible to do that successfully under the banner of GamerGate at this point.
But, the thing is, it isn't even Gamergate as a whole that's even remotely responsible. It's a small minority of harassers who, in all probability, don't even care about any of the concerns/goals of the movement and are just trying to stir shit up because they're bitter and hate-filled. There's plenty of people like that on the other side as well, but nobody pays attention to them, because the media completely serves the interests of people with a very specific agenda and worldview, and ignores all other perspectives.

I just can't get over the fact that a movement that's raised over $70,000 for a project that is completely dedicated to getting more female developers is being called a "misogynistic hate group". I literally would not have cared about any of this were it not for the fact that the media is knowingly and intentionally distorting things and misinforming as many people as they can.

I've always hated the media, but this is the first time I've ever seen a coordinated or popular attempt to address all of its flaws. Hopefully it will broaden its goals to protesting all journalistic corruption, rather than just corruption related to the narrow field of gaming.

Requiem

The funny thing is, unless I'm wrong, The Fine Young Capitalists, the group behind the indiegogo project that got all of the money it did from the early GamerGate movement (before it had a name), was actually "hacked" and taken down for a little while there and the culprits are supposedly tied to Zoe Quinn. They wanted TFYC's indiegogo campaign taken down because of how much publicity they were getting by being supported through 4chan, essentially. Because if there's good things being done, but by the wrong people, all of the good things need to be destroyed, amirite?

That said, I don't have all of the facts and I haven't fully looked into why TFYC got their indiegogo page taken down. I just know it happened mainly because of their accepting support from 4chan and this all happened when the "Quinnspiracy" was being revealed and was the main focus of things.

In fact, you know what, I'll go look up info on it now. Hopefully I find some info, though some of you might know about it more than me.

Also, #notyourshield. Unrelated to specifically TFYC, but still awesome. I just love that that was and is a thing.

Lumpy

Gamergate is just the name given to a recent scandal in the gaming industry. It's not actually a movement, it's more of a mascot scandal to spread awareness of corruption in gaming journalism. The discussion has been going for a long time. Long before Anita Sarkeesian started her career of being a victim.

Kane and Lynch Scandal (2007-2008): Gerstmann was dismissed from his position at GameSpot as Editorial Director on November 28, 2007. Immediately after his termination, rumors circulated proclaiming his dismissal was a result of external pressure from Eidos Interactive the publisher of Kane & Lynch: Dead Men which Gerstmann had previously given a Fair rating, which is relatively undesirable, along with critique. This was at a time when Eidos had been putting heavy advertising money into GameSpot, going as far as transforming the entire website to use a Kane & Lynch theme and background instead of the regular GameSpot layout, regardless of which game or page viewers were seeing. In accordance with California State Law and CNET Networks, GameSpot could not give details as to why Gerstmann was terminated. Both GameSpot and parent company CNET stated that his dismissal was unrelated to the negative review. However, a subsequent interview with Gerstmann in 2012 countered this statement, with Gerstmann claiming that management gave in to publisher pressure.

Dorito Pope Interview (2012): This should speak for itself but here's a link to explain how people reacted to this video.

Gamers are Entitled (2012): I don't really feel like searching around for it but the concept of gamers being entitled for wanting a better mass effect ending was heavily pushed by gaming media at the time.

EA voted Worst Company in America 2 years in a row (2012-2013): They almost won three years in a row. They beat out Bank of America back when they almost crashed the global economy. Here's a good article on why people hate EA. It touches on a lot of the corruption people have been complaining about.

Gaming media's latest thing is to try and paint gamers as white misogynist men to deflect accusations directed at them. They are actually trying to relate this whole thing to Anita Sarkeesian, like it all started with her harassment. That this is all an organized movement against women. Anita Sarkeesian and feminism have nothing to do with Gamergate. To take the accusations of misogyny, racism, and whiteness in the "movement" in any serious way would be allowing the ones accused of corruption to completely deflect the course of discussion in absurd ways.

This is what people are upset about:

Last edited:
Top Bottom