How Age of Ultron Could Have Been A Lot Better

Requiem

I like it a lot. I still enjoy AoU, but it's true that the movie lacks something. This fix of the movie really focuses on the end of the Avengers 1 and the characters' relationships to each other without adding in the slice of life stuff we never get to see between the two movies (like Black Widow and Banner hooking up). The end of the first movie is pretty clear, Iron Man and Cap are the leaders, Widow and Hawkeye are BFFs, Hulk and Thor are bros. Keeping that as the set up of the second movie and then focusing on each character's strengths throughout the film would have been better than what we got in the original version.

I agree with one of the comments that was made in the last article. The big fight at the end of the movie is still essentially the same as the original, but I like the touch with Cap wielding Mjolnir. It makes a lot of sense and it isn't just a gag like it was in the original. We know Cap is more worthy than probably any other human, so seeing that fully realized is interesting and it adds to the dynamic of the Hulk/Thor relationship, especially with Hulk running away from his problems. Thor now sees this other human who he shares something with that few if any other beings in the entire universe, let alone just humans on Earth, would be able to do. The idea of Thor's mortality is also important because RAGNAROK. That should have been highlighted how it was. Hell, Thor getting stabbed and going comatose could be used to give him his visions of the future. That wasn't fully specified in this version of things.

All in all, good fix. Could use less of the big, bang, shoot booms of the original's third act and just be its own version of things, but I think a big, dangerous situation like that is necessary to set up things for Civil War.

Top Bottom