Pay This Guy $1 Million to See the New Ghostbusters

The Hound

Just Monika
It's so trendy now to refuse to see the movie. I really hope people stick to their guns and avoid watching that abomination.

The Hound

Just Monika
Besides not looking funny, not being what anyone wanted, and having Bill Murray but supposedly not having him play Peter Venkman are all enough reason for me to not want to see it. They had 30 years to make the Ghostbusters everyone wanted, they didn't make that movie and instead gave us this. I'm not even a big Ghostbusters fan, I just feel for everyone who wanted to see a real trilogy of films but instead got this. On top of that to just name it Ghostbusters is pretty galling.

Last edited:

Chickenspleen

I'm hoping that they can make at least a halfway decent movie out of it. If the reviews are at least mixed then I'll probably go see it.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Besides not looking funny, not being what anyone wanted, and having Bill Murray but supposedly not having him play Peter Venkman are all enough reason for me to not want to see it. They had 30 years to make the Ghostbusters everyone wanted, they didn't make that movie and instead gave us this. I'm not even a big Ghostbusters fan, I just feel for everyone who wanted to see a real trilogy of films but instead got this. On top of that to just name it Ghostbusters is pretty galling.

Yeah. That and it doesn't look spectacular at all. I'm waiting for it to bomb.

Steal Thy Kill

Honestly, if you're gonna reboot a series, genderbending it like this is a great way to go. Make it different and fresh. I applaud that.

That said, I think a big part of the hate (beyond the frankly sexist bits of the internet), is that this movie just isn't gonna resemble the original's humor whatsoever. And it really can't. Humor like that is, I feel, fairly limited and unique to Ramis, Murray, and Aykroyd. Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, and Kristen Wiig are three very funny actresses (though their particular brands of humor may not be your cup of tea) and Paul Feig is an excellent comedic director with a solid resume. But the fact that this is such a cherished movie puts a lot of pressure on the creative team, and they're also screwed because this movie won't be the original in terms of humor, just the subject matter. It's being held down by the legacy of the original, and an unflattering comparison between the two. I think it's similar to the feelings of book loyalists when film or tv adaptations come out.

If it wasn't named Ghostbusters, then I don't think people would care so much or pre-judge it so harshly.

Of course, it could still be a totally shit movie, but this much preemptive hate is over the top.

Chickenspleen

Honestly, I think what's bugging me the most about the reboot is that they seem to be trying to do the original again. I look at the cast of the reboot and I see the cast of the original in female form. If they want to do an all female Ghostbusters, go ahead, man. Just don't make them female versions of the same archetypes, otherwise it gets into remake territory.

Also, if they cave and do that all male spinoff like I heard they were planning, I'm done.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Humor like that is, I feel, fairly limited and unique to Ramis, Murray, and Aykroyd. Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, and Kristen Wiig are three very funny actresses (though their particular brands of humor may not be your cup of tea) and Paul Feig is an excellent comedic director with a solid resume. But the fact that this is such a cherished movie puts a lot of pressure on the creative team, and they're also screwed because this movie won't be the original in terms of humor, just the subject matter. It's being held down by the legacy of the original, and an unflattering comparison between the two.
A thousand times this. Ghostbusters came out at the right time in the right place. I had to explain this to the new intern at work who thinks this movie will be fantastic. This issue is that the movie will bomb. There's such a thing as a vocal minority, but I don't see this as a vocal minority.

Of course, it could still be a totally shit movie, but this much preemptive hate is over the top.
To harken back to what Bob said:

Besides not looking funny, not being what anyone wanted, and having Bill Murray but supposedly not having him play Peter Venkman are all enough reason for me to not want to see it. They had 30 years to make the Ghostbusters everyone wanted, they didn't make that movie and instead gave us this. I'm not even a big Ghostbusters fan, I just feel for everyone who wanted to see a real trilogy of films but instead got this.
Ghostbusters would have never been as popular without Ramis, Murray and Aykroyd. The movies themselves are charming, but the chemistry of the three actors is the memory of it. People have wanted a Ghostbusters and have been told there would be a Ghostbusters movies with the main cast that was being worked on until it was stuffed away into a video game.

I'll probably be giving this a hard pass. With how movies are, I don't really want to drop $15 to go see it. There are other movies that I could see that I'd enjoy far more.

Tag_Ross

I disliked the trailer day one, it had <5000 thumbs down at the time, I disliked it because it was a Shitty trailer, I hope the movie would be much better than the trailer presented, but that's still to see. I'm not opposed to an all female cast, it's normally a non issue for me; however, it seems to not be a non issue for a part of the fan base, and more importantly the writers of the movie itself, it feels very much like a "look, girls can do that too." That nobody* is disagreeing with, especially when we've already had a female GhostBuster in the cartoon, near twenty years ago,

*except of course the idiots that are turning this into a gender issue.

I'll probably be giving this a hard pass. With how movies are, I don't really want to drop $15 to go see it. There are other movies that I could see that I'd enjoy far more.
$15 to see it alone, I only go to the theater in groups of at least six, spend $120 on tickets alone another $50 on food and drinks in the theater, then we go out for dinner around another $120. As it stands this GhostBusters movie has not given me enough interest to spend roughly $300 on the evening, especially if I can only get tickets on a Sunday night, seeing as I have to wake up for work at 2:45 am on Mondays.

Lumpy

So for the people that don't like this movie; is it a race thing or a lady thing?

Requiem

More of a lady thing than a race thing, but I'm sure some of them see it as a race thing as well.

Top Bottom