RWBY Volume 3 Discussion - Finale airs tomorrow (Feb 14th) at 10:am CST

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Hell, I'm watching the episode because it was so good.

Currently, there's a ton of nicknames.

RRJN - Orange.
RNJR - Ranger seems to be the favorite though.

Overall, I agree with @Steal Thy Kill with his post. Some Yang vs Blake may happen since Yang feels betrayed. Weiss is dealing with Papa Schnee. I always loved JNPR and I'm excited to see their personalities, especially now that they aren't the main source of comic relief. They all feel the weight of Pyrrah's death and it's all affected them in ways that I'm curious to see.

I'm still incredibly upset about Torchwick though. He stole the show.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I'm still incredibly upset about Torchwick though. He stole the show.
Among other things. Eyy.

Gotta say that I can't see Mercury holding a candle to Torchwick, anyway. Too servile. Not very servile, mind you, but about 10,000% more servile than Torchwick. It changes the villain dynamic up quite a bit.
I'd say RRNJ is the best, personally, on account of the color thing. But I can't deny that RNJR is a better acronym and descriptive.[/quote]

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Gotta say that I can't see Mercury holding a candle to Torchwick, anyway. Too servile. Not very servile, mind you, but about 10,000% more servile than Torchwick. It changes the villain dynamic up quite a bit.
Yeah, while I do love me some Smirkury "WORLDSTAR" Black, I don't think he'll be as grew as Torchwick. That monologue was too perfect on Season 3 Episode 11.

13thforsworn

Yep.

Season 1 was introduction. Season 2 was pretty sweet except for the Breach, which was absolute bullshit. The saving grace of that episode was Caffeine being played.

Season 3 was all right for the first few episodes, but really hit its stride five or six episodes in. I'm pretty excited to see season 4
Yeah, the Breach was terribly anti-climactic. Was kinda bullshit, and left a bad taste in my mouth for the whole A plot of that season. This is the first time that I'm actually satisfied with a RWBY finale.
I 100% agree with these analyses.

I am gonna miss Torchwick, but I'm not to upset he's gone, especially since the very end of the finale shows just how small of a fish he was in the villain hierarchy. Man was funny as fuck though. At first I was kinda pissed off about how they chose to kill him off, but how the finale ended up playing out made we realize it was quite fitting.

Did anyone else think that Burnie as Taiyang Xiao Long's voice was really jarring? For the most part, even though I recognize all the Rooster Teeth people in their roles, but I always still see them as "Yang", or "Sun", "Jaune". Somehow Burnie breaks the immersion. To me it's not Tai speaking, it's Burnie talking.

A lot of people doubted whether the RWBY crew knew what they were doing when the tone dramatically shifted in Volume 3, but the whole "do you remember what Ozpin said to you the first time you met" thing really shows that they've been planning everything from the very beginning all along, all along, all along.

The introduction to the season finally sunk in. Everything about it was so telling of the season to come, especially the falling spiral bit. You notice that Pyhrra is the first to break off and fall to the wayside, the other three from JNPR simply disappear when the scene cuts to a different angle. Also, when team RWBY are sitting in the circle, everyone's head down except for Ruby's, who looks very much defeated. It shows the disunity and the personal struggle with where they end up at the end of the season. It all makes sense now.

I think it was absolutely brilliant with what they did with the "narrator's" voice at the end. Throughout all the seasons and World of Revenant's, you think they're just a person who pushes the plot along and builds the world. But the twist is that she, Salem, is actually the major villain the whole time, and has been manipulating the audience like she's been pulling the strings behind the scenes in the show. Fucking brilliant.

So is Cinder dead? It seems unlikely that she is, but at the same time how does she survive Ruby's FUCKING SPIRIT BOMB?!?!!?

If you guys commute or have some free time or something, I suggest checking out the After Buzz TV RWBY podcast. They talk about the show and have members of the RWBY cast as guests on every episode. It's on iTunes and Youtube.

Last edited:

Requiem

Since it has to do with season 2 I won't put this in spoilers, I read that the breach was something that was supposed to happen this season. RWBY managed to happen upon it much earlier than anticipated, so it's like they ruined part of the plan before it was meant to happen. I'll have to go back and watch everything to make sure that's actually the case, but it does feel like everything has been planned very well, so I wouldn't put it past RT and Monty's script.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Since it has to do with season 2 I won't put this in spoilers, I read that the breach was something that was supposed to happen this season. RWBY managed to happen upon it much earlier than anticipated, so it's like they ruined part of the plan before it was meant to happen. I'll have to go back and watch everything to make sure that's actually the case, but it does feel like everything has been planned very well, so I wouldn't put it past RT and Monty's script.
Mm. My issue isn't with the concept of Grimm breaching or them stumbling upon the plan. It was the issue of how it was hyped up to be and they just sort of breezed past in an anti-climatic way.

It was: "Oh shit! A bunch of Grimm are in the city. This is a huge deal."

>Rwby starts to fight with JNPR
>Cinder & Co decide to help a little bit.
>Neptune and Sun goof off while Atlas robots arrive.
>CFVY SHOW UP WITH HIGH-OCTANE MUSIC
>They kill everything.
>Glynda repairs the breach.
>Roman is arrested.
>End of episode.
>After-credits: Yang's Mom is there to talk with her, but in season 3, Yang says she only saw her mother and never spoke.

It didn't really feel huge. It just felt like another episode of RWBY

I don't really watch that much Roosterteeth sans for the original seasons of Red vs Blue and RWBY, so Burnie's voice didn't bother me. Also, to show more proof of how much was planned [from my Skype conversation with Easy] :

[2/13/16, 11:54:40 AM] Jeroth: >Narrator: But even the most brilliant lights eventually flicker and die. And when they are gone... darkness will return.
>Narrator: So you may prepare your guardians, build your monuments to a so-called "free world", but take heed... there will be no victory in strength.
>Ozpin (voice over): But perhaps victory is in the simpler things that you've long forgotten. Things that require a smaller, more honest soul.
[2/13/16, 11:55:05 AM] Jeroth: Then 2 volumes and 11 episodes, she retorts about the smaller, more honest soul.

I can't remember if it was mentioned, but I'm banking on the BBEG shown at the end by the name of Salem and she's corrupted by Grimm. My money is her being an ex-maiden that was slighted by Oz. Being a fallen maiden, she's considered a "Witch" and her name represents the Salem Witch Trials. Points to Firedemon for that coincidental mafia game.

Overall, I'm incredibly excited for Season 4. I've been sifting through slice of life academy silliness to get to this point.

13thforsworn

Mm. My issue isn't with the concept of Grimm breaching or them stumbling upon the plan. It was the issue of how it was hyped up to be and they just sort of breezed past in an anti-climatic way.

It was: "Oh shit! A bunch of Grimm are in the city. This is a huge deal."

>Rwby starts to fight with JNPR
>Cinder & Co decide to help a little bit.
>Neptune and Sun goof off while Atlas robots arrive.
>CFVY SHOW UP WITH HIGH-OCTANE MUSIC
>They kill everything.
>Glynda repairs the breach.
>Roman is arrested.
>End of episode.
>After-credits: Yang's Mom is there to talk with her, but in season 3, Yang says she only saw her mother and never spoke.

It didn't really feel huge. It just felt like another episode of RWBY
Basically this.

Obligatory viewing: https://www.instagram.com/p/BBxax2XBXen/

Also, more proof of how long they have been planning for this episode; these photos where taken two and half years ago.

13thforsworn

This is a quote from the Yellow trailer. Foreshadowing Yang's lack of... symmetry? (I didn't find this by the way)

Steal Thy Kill

Cinder's not dead. She's just frozen. Of course she survived the Spirit Bomb. Everybody survives the Spirit Bomb. The silver eyes thing was pretty deus ex, would've been nice if they foreshadowed it more than a single line in the first episode. But hey, at least it means that someday we'll get the big "let's take out a giant Grimm dragon" fight scene that we were blueballed over.

And yeah, Salem is definitely the Wicked Witch to Ozpin's Wizard of Emerald City.

Laughed at the instagram thing. I've seen the joke in more than a few other places and it's great every time.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
The silver eyes thing was pretty deus ex, would've been nice if they foreshadowed it more than a single line in the first episode.
I'm actually really happy with how it was done and that they didn't ham fist it in. We've known since the start of the series that silver eyes were unique - people harped and theorized on it for the year afterward before they just forgot about it. If they built it up with the story and everything, it would have been annoying. We've known that she was special, but never why. In a moment of pure grief and trauma, those silver eyes came into play and we were rewarded with Qrow explaining it to Ruby (And us), letting us know what's to come. Overall, I'd rather have the creator let us figure it out and find the details opposed to treating us like idiots.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
This is a quote from the Yellow trailer. Foreshadowing Yang's lack of... symmetry? (I didn't find this by the way)(img)
Joked at Riyant about that earlier; she may not be symmetrical anymore, but at least she's managed the one-sided part.
I'm actually really happy with how it was done and that they didn't ham fist it in. We've known since the start of the series that silver eyes were unique - people harped and theorized on it for the year afterward before they just forgot about it. If they built it up with the story and everything, it would have been annoying. We've known that she was special, but never why. In a moment of pure grief and trauma, those silver eyes came into play and we were rewarded with Qrow explaining it to Ruby (And us), letting us know what's to come. Overall, I'd rather have the creator let us figure it out and find the details opposed to treating us like idiots.
Finally explains how Ruby got to skip ahead into Beacon, anyway.
Also, I'm probably gonna start discontinuing the spoiler-tags tomorrow. People who haven't watched up with the show, be advised: Of course there are gonna be spoilers up in here.

13thforsworn

Finally explains how Ruby got to skip ahead into Beacon, anyway.
Also, I'm probably gonna start discontinuing the spoiler-tags tomorrow. People who haven't watched up with the show, be advised: Of course there are gonna be spoilers up in here.
There's a part in Volume 3 where Ruby's like, "hmm, I really do wonder why Ozpin let me come to his school," which was code for "HEY GUYS, YOU'RE GONNA FIND OUT WHY OZPIN LET HER COME TO HIS SCHOOL."

At this point if you're reading the thread and haven't watched the finale, you're doing it to yourself. As soon as I saw the spoiler tags being thrown up yesterday, I stopped reading the thread and waited for the episode to go public for everyone before coming back.

Steal Thy Kill

Oh yeah, overdoing it would've been bad, and I'm glad it was a surprise, but if I hadn't watched the first episode a few days ago I wouldn't have even remembered that Ruby had silver eyes, let alone that it might've had something. I'm not asking for a whole scene where we hear about the legend of the silver eyed warriors, more along the lines of a snark from Qrow about how Ruby has her mom's weird eye color or something. idk. I'm not a writer, just something to pull that idea from the abyss of forgotten memories to the back of your mind. I like that I saw the eye blast and remembered the silver eye thing and was able to immediately see where the eye blasts came from even if I never would've guessed or expected that to happen. But idk if the average viewer saw the eye blast and made the connection, and instead had a wtf is this bullshit thing going on. Just my view on it is all.

13thforsworn

Oh yeah, overdoing it would've been bad, and I'm glad it was a surprise, but if I hadn't watched the first episode a few days ago I wouldn't have even remembered that Ruby had silver eyes, let alone that it might've had something. I'm not asking for a whole scene where we hear about the legend of the silver eyed warriors, more along the lines of a snark from Qrow about how Ruby has her mom's weird eye color or something. idk. I'm not a writer, just something to pull that idea from the abyss of forgotten memories to the back of your mind. I like that I saw the eye blast and remembered the silver eye thing and was able to immediately see where the eye blasts came from even if I never would've guessed or expected that to happen. But idk if the average viewer saw the eye blast and made the connection, and instead had a wtf is this bullshit thing going on. Just my view on it is all.
Ya, I felt it was kind of out of nowhere. I'm not too upset about it or anything, but it seemed kinda bullshit. That being said, I much prefer it be this way than it being super forced and shoved down my throat.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
But idk if the average viewer saw the eye blast and made the connection, and instead had a wtf is this bullshit thing going on. Just my view on it is all.
Ya, I felt it was kind of out of nowhere. I'm not too upset about it or anything, but it seemed kinda bullshit. That being said, I much prefer it be this way than it being super forced and shoved down my throat.
Man, I saw that happening and I immediately thought these two things:

(1) Ruby is a Maiden.
> No, that'd be way too ridiculous.
(2) Ruby's silver eyes.
> The beam came from her eyes. Silver Eyes.

Then again, I look way too far into the series and theory craft hard for it.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
Finally got to watch the finally after being gone all weekend. Really didn't see the second half of the season coming, especially with how light hearted the first two seasons were. Really glad they did it though to shake up the protagonist and take away the untouchable aspect they had. Makes the issues they built up in the previous seasons completely weaksauce. Going to miss Pyhrra, but I'm looking forward to Yang with a sweet robot arm though.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I was wondering if she was moping so much because she wouldn't be able to afford a robot arm, but Mercury complains about the cost of a leg unit as if he buys them himself. I guess it's probably more about getting wrecked like that, or Blake and Weiss leaving, or her mom staying true to her word about not showing up to save her again, or maybe just never getting a chance to restore her good name again at Beacon.

13thforsworn

I was wondering if she was moping so much because she wouldn't be able to afford a robot arm, but Mercury complains about the cost of a leg unit as if he buys them himself. I guess it's probably more about getting wrecked like that, or Blake and Weiss leaving, or her mom staying true to her word about not showing up to save her again, or maybe just never getting a chance to restore her good name again at Beacon.
Probably everything at once. I think that the most devastating thing though is that she a) lost her arm (of course) and b) did so trying to save Blake, who proceeded to run away, appearing to abandon Yang and her team. I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks she went to rejoin the White Fang or something.

So a friend and I were talking about the RWBY finale on Facebook. Another friend chimed in saying that our conversation had prompted him to marathon all three volumes and was upset that we never told him it was so good beforehand. So I'm kinda pleased about that..

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Probably everything at once. I think that the most devastating thing though is that she a) lost her arm (of course) and b) did so trying to save Blake, who proceeded to run away, appearing to abandon Yang and her team. I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks she went to rejoin the White Fang or something.
I'd be surprised. I mean, last she saw was one of them stabbing her.

Top Bottom