RWBY Volume 4 Character Short (Ruby)

13thforsworn

Is it out for the public, or just first members? Because when I click on the episode, it shows me the First members signup form.

Requiem

Do I have to wait a week? I better not have to wait a week. It would not be fun to wait a week.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
1st episode came out. It's a good 20 minutes, and man I hope that the rest of the episodes are this long. I know RWBY's goal was to be structured more episodically instead of cut together as one large movie, so here's hoping they've hit that. With the cast fractured like they are, the show's gonna need the extra runtime to do them justice.
It felt a bit lackluster, to be honest. I know it's the first episode, but I feel like nothing really happened except for:

*Salem's Inner Circle of EEEEVIIL for 5 minutes
*Fauna doing whatever for 2 minutes.
*RNJR doin' thangs for the remainder and talking about heading east.
* Bee tee dubs, Jaune has a qt hoodie and some sweet metal from his dead AF GF.

We already knew RNJR was headed East so it's nothing new.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I still prefer RRNJ. Especially with orange being a mix of red and yellow, and all.

13thforsworn

It felt a bit lackluster, to be honest. I know it's the first episode, but I feel like nothing really happened except for:

*Salem's Inner Circle of EEEEVIIL for 5 minutes
*Fauna doing whatever for 2 minutes.
*RNJR doin' thangs for the remainder and talking about heading east.
* Bee tee dubs, Jaune has a qt hoodie and some sweet metal from his dead AF GF.

We already knew RNJR was headed East so it's nothing new.
I sort of agree. I think the laughing EEEEVIIL dude is annoying as fuck and over the top. Him being a Junkrat-type goofball is fine, but the maniacal laughing every three seconds is really not funny or interesting. Just annoying. All in all, the episode wasn't bad, but it was anything special either.

Steal Thy Kill

I'm more impressed with the technical side of things, and how that's jumped up. Better environments, and the character models fit better with their surroundings. Much better animation, even the hands. There was a fair bit of awkward editing in the past, including a lot of delayed reaction sort of deals in the fight scenes. None of that. Same with the dialogue. Agreed that Evil Joker Assassin sucks. Dr. Stick Up His Ass is also unimpressive as a first impression but there's still room for something there. Chemistry with RNJR/JNRR/RRNJ is better than anything Team RWBY ever had, so looking forward to more of them. Helps that RNJR (and JNPR before them) are actually fun. I'm still not sure how I feel about the fanservicing shoutouts, but the team name argument worked better than the team attack/shipping names.

Still, I think it was a solid first episode. It's a reintroduction, which is limiting, but it does a fine enough job of that. Looking forward to next week, where hopefully Weiss's plotline is good.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Dr. Stick Up His Ass is also unimpressive as a first impression but there's still room for something there.
I'll fite u, m8.

Dr. Watts is the best out of that god damn group. He's voiced by Chris Sabat (Alex Louis Armstrong from FMA, Any Character from DBZ.)

He ripped on Cinder, so he's okay in my book.

I sort of agree. I think the laughing EEEEVIIL dude is annoying as fuck and over the top. Him being a Junkrat-type goofball is fine, but the maniacal laughing every three seconds is really not funny or interesting. Just annoying. All in all, the episode wasn't bad, but it was anything special either.
It's sad. My friends and I were discussing the intro when we were waiting for the episode to drop. We really liked his design and had high hopes for the smug Tyrian. Then he just went full maniacal laughter and they aimed for the insane route when the episode dropped.

It may have just been the indescribable hype that I had for the series, but it really fell flat on its face.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Dr. Watts is the best out of that god damn group. He's voiced by Chris Sabat (Alex Louis Armstrong from FMA, Any Character from DBZ.)
Hazel is pretty obviously the best out of that goddamn group.
It's sad. My friends and I were discussing the intro when we were waiting for the episode to drop. We really liked his design and had high hopes for the smug Tyrian. Then he just went full maniacal laughter and they aimed for the insane route when the episode dropped.

It may have just been the indescribable hype that I had for the series, but it really fell flat on its face.
Tyrian worst/most punch-able villain. Literally a less respectable villain than the late Lord Fuse, Neveradventurer.
Still, I think it was a solid first episode. It's a reintroduction, which is limiting, but it does a fine enough job of that. Looking forward to next week, where hopefully Weiss's plotline is good.
That's just gonna be a consolation prize for the halfhearted RRNJ intro, though. =(

Steal Thy Kill

Okay episode. Animation's beautiful, and there's some good character moments, but hardly any forward motion. It was 14 minutes where I don't feel like anything was accomplished.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Okay episode. Animation's beautiful, and there's some good character moments, but hardly any forward motion. It was 14 minutes where I don't feel like anything was accomplished.
I disagree about the forward motion. There's a bit of forward motion with the RNJR plot line, specifically Ren and Nora.

Weiss
  • Weiss has a younger brother named Whitley - unsure if it's genuine or just acting. The writing for RWBY is pretty basic so I'd be shocked if he's not evil/selfish.
  • "Mom is drinking in the garden again" - Weiss' Mom confirmed Alcoholic
  • Ironwood is getting close to being the fuhrer with having two seats on the council.
  • Daddy Schnee treats his kids as employees, but also has a fairly justified reason to be angry at Ironwood.
  • Weiss' butler has split personalities and represents the seven dwarves.
Notes: The only interesting thing is the naming scheme for the Schnee family:

Willow Schnee
Winter Schnee
Weiss Schnee
Whitley Schnee

Then you have Jacques Schnee. It may be a reference to "Jack Frost", but the implications could be that he married into the Schnee family to run the company since his name doesn't follow the "W" naming scheme.

RNJR (Or is it JNRR?)
  • Light-hearted banter.
  • Interesting character moment where Jaune and Ruby are optimistic about saving the guy. Ren and Nora both know the man is dead. Part of me was hoping that Ren would just kill him to end his pain, but that'd cause too much uproar in the team.
  • Nora and Ren recognize the symbol. It's Tyrian's weapon, so there's a good chance that there could be a revenge fight between Nora and Ren against Tyrian, which I'd be keen towards. I'm also expecting a fight between Tyrian and RNJR next episode.
  • Ruby has PTSD flashbacks sparked by Jaune's late night training or SILVER EYES are causing Pyrrah to linger around her.
  • Jaune listens her almost-confession training session and practices non-stop. Part of me hopes that if Jaune ever does a last stand in the series, they'll overlay the clip with Pyrrah's training session. A bloodied and battered arm holding up a shield, a broken sword that's pointed straight and a yell before cutting to black.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
Ok, so just figured out that you can sign up for the free membership thing on Roosterteeth and watch this the day after instead of waiting a week.

13thforsworn

The episode was alright. Not bad, not amazing, like episode 1.

So Jaune's semblance (or attempt at summoning it) is like a mega strike or something? Anyone notice that when he swung his sword, he created "energy waves" that resembled the symbol on his shield?

Top Bottom