Captain America: Civil War - Vote in Poll!

Who Do You Support?

• Total voters

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Discuss the film here!

Please please please use spoiler tags when relevant!

Also, if you have any questions for myself, Jeroth, or Req for Part 2 of the Civil War podcast, please share them in this thread.

(Link to Part 1 of that podcast.)

I guess also discuss whether you're on #TeamTwizz or #TeamSPK, and please speculate on the Forum Civil War that may or may not be a thing.

Dunsparce

I hated that it ended in a draw. They should have had one side win and one side lose. It would have been really obvious that Iron Man's side was gonna win, since his side had all the important characters, but still.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
So I skipped over most of the podcast because I haven't seen the new movie, and probably won't any time soon.

Missed the whole Twizz vs SPK bit.
That was during the spoiler warning. I started telling people to drop what they're doing to go see the film now and Req brought up twizzlers because he's a filthy heathen.

Lotus

Twizzlers, huh? Which sort of twizzlers? @Requiem

I'm probably on #TeamTwizz.

I did pick up Ultimate Alliance Two and was utterly surprised (pleasantly) at which hero, Cap vs Feman, was on which side of the regulation.

I've never read any comics, and marvel movies are not really a priority for me, but I did grow up watching the old cartoons. I don't really remember the Reg War (civil war) being in any cartoon I watched.

That potential blasphemy aside, I very much enjoyed the fact that Cap lead the side that he did, and I'm 100% on Team Cap, with a furious burning passion.

My favorite Marvel character has always been Johnny Storm, aka The Human Torch. I was disappointed that ol' Torch's powers are way stronger on Feman's side and that fact caused me to join the billionaire tin can and his cause for this play through.

Requiem

Any twizzlers will do, but you can't beat the classic original kind.

As for watching the movie, if you've got time, there's actually a DVD quality stream of the movie online that I watched. Only problem is that it has Chinese subtitles, but only for when the characters are speaking something other than English, weirdly enough. I could link it to you if you'd like. I'd have to go find it again, but that shouldn't be hard.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Okay, so lemme start off by saying that I'm far from a comic book geek. In fact, I probably fall somewhere short of comic book casual. Basically, I don't read 'em. I never have. The only thing "Silver Age" or "Golden Age" mean to me, is that somebody once told me Silver Age comics tended to be ridiculous even by comic book standards. In short, I didn't know exactly what sort of conflict to expect in Civil War. I figured there'd be... well, some variation on some kind of actual civil war. Y'know. Drones, politics, some very fundamental and serious examinations of the importance of checks and regulations on the use of exceptional power vs... well, the individual liberties of government bureaus, I guess, or whatever the heck the other side's priorities are.

What I got just seemed kind of like an excuse plot to get a couple of superheroes beefin' at each other, which was relatively underwhelming, in that light. Now, certain war-like aspects certainly did exist: Snap decisions based on half-assed intel that end with Americans blowing up a lots of foreign civilians and infrastructure, reckless attempts at assassination without trial in the name of protecting our fundamental freedoms against terrorist attack, the U.N. not really doing anything about anything... that kinda stuff. But that's just general incompetence, not actual war, per se.

And then there's the part where everything comes off as contrived. Bear with me here: why's Cap start off with being such a dumbass about the Accords? I get that he has an issue with giving the U.N. a blank check to tell him whom to blow up or not to blow up, but how does it never manage to hit him that it's more bullshit that the US has a group of operatives who regularly violate international borders to carry out extrajudicial interventions, with no legal authority or oversight whatsoever, (but often with US government assistance and dispensation), and wreck everything nearby on a goddamn whim? Only an American could actually feel entitled to that kind of power. Sure, Putin isn't shy about that sort of thing - but at least he doesn't pretend that he actually has a fundamental right to.

Granted, he's the Captain of 'em, but isn't he just supposed to represent all the good things about America? Throwing in that sense of exceptionalism is a dangerous move. Nobody wants to see him turn into a fat, ignorant racist with a red baseball cap and a penchant for raving about walls and Muslims. That'd make for a real shitty bunch of movies.

Anyway. Villain Plot Step 1: Get the U.N. to find Barnes. Pretty asspulled how this happened so quickly, but fair enough. He could just as well have been prepared to wait. It wouldn't necessarily affect his plan if this had taken longer, except insofar as this would give everybody more time to gather evidence about the bombing beyond a shitty half-second shot of grainy video.

Step 2: Intercept interrogation of Barnes. Mmmmaayyyybe. It'd be damn hard to be sure of where they'd bring him in the first place, and of exactly what psychiatrist they'd bring in, and that nobody would recognize that individual - but, put that down to preparation and a little luck. It'd be impossible to be confident that Barnes gets brought in alive in the first place, though, since that relied on the Captain going rogue (fairly predictable), having excellent top-tier intel (much less predictable), and actually succeeding at fending off the task force (not really predictable at all). But so far, fairly acceptable.

Step 3: Rely on Cap and Bucky successfully making it to the silo, (not good odds), Stark finding out their destination, (not bad odds), and deciding to go after them alone to help out (really shitty odds). In the super unlikely event that this actually pans out, he then needs Tony to lose it and absolutely chimp out after watching the video, which also wasn't guaranteed to pan out at all.
Okay, so... all that said, personal bitching aside and what have you, it's a superhero movie. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I'd hoped to, but, what the hell. I enjoyed it. Cool choreography, fancy special effects, and a clutch last-minute victory by the good guys, these are the things you expect from a superhero movie. It has them in spades, so if that's what you're looking for, go ahead and watch it.

Also, the run time makes it a pretty good ticket buy for your money, so there's that as well.

Requiem

The Marvel movies tend to just be popcorn flicks made for people who wanna see some shootbangs and the superhero nerds who are already invested in seeing this characters in movies, which thankfully there's a lot of both which makes the films successful.

When it comes to deep plots with no holes or potential pitfalls, Marvel (and superhero movies in general) aren't going to be able to deliver on that. They can on occasion get pretty damn close (Captain America: Winter Soldier) and sometimes they'll even succeed in some measure (The Dark Knight), but that's usually a byproduct after the fact.

Civil War is just called Civil War because Marvel and all other comic book companies like having big, named events in order to sell books and merchandise. Civil War was one of the more successful events and it's fairly recent, all comic book history taken into account. Basically, people liked Civil War in the comics, even if it was a bit contrived and the ending was unsatisfactory (and ultimately still just a plot meant to make the heroes fight each other), so Marvel dedicated a film to the idea of Civil War within the MCU.

It's important to note that the overall goal of the MCU, plot-wise, is to create a long form story that we get in chunks here and there. A whole bunch of connecting threads, if you will. When Marvel tries to "do" events from the comics, they've gotta make sure those events fit into the MCU's plot itself. Right now, the lead up is to Infinity War, which is also an event in the MCU. Since every movie being made right now for the MCU is ultimately tied to Infinity War and nothing else, other events can get shoe horned in for the sake of character development and what have you.

While the events of Civil War aren't world-shattering military campaigns or anything, for the people dedicated to the stories, they're still world-changing or more world-revealing. It's really about what the fans want to see more than making good movies for the sake of good movies. In a sense that sucks, but Marvel knows how to cater to its audience and make successful films, so if it works, it works.

All in all, you're right about the movie being a good superhero flick. It's mainly made for fans up to this point, so I'm cool with that being the case.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Yeah, nothing wrong with it as a superhero film. Based on all the buildup I'd been expecting something more like Marvel's answer to The Dark Knight, which probably wasn't a reasonable expectation to have. It is what it was actually supposed to be, so I'm not actually complaining. Hell, if tickets weren't so expensive, as a luxury item, I'd probably go see it again.

Requiem

Yeah, Marvel has always been about the characters themselves. They don't do enough slice of life stuff, but they do it more than DC does, I believe. I'd love to see a superhero movie that tries to do something big though, like what you were hoping civil war would be. That would really be cool.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
If you want Marvel's response to "The Dark Knight", go watch Daredevil and Jessica Jones, like, immediately. I haven't finished Jessica Jones, but Daredevil is literally the best thing Marvel has made to-date.

Requiem

That's definitely true. I was thinkingore along the lines of the movies, but the shows are pretty damn great. Makes me wonder why they're just relegated to being show characters as opposed to having their own films as well.

Dunsparce

Part 2 will be posted either late tonight or tomorrow!
Hope you don't need me to fix the audio again. My compy'll be out of commission for a day or two, and I don't know if I'll be able to do this in the future since I'm switching to a new OS. I also got rid of all of the art assets I used, but I guess I can just make new ones.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
You said that last time.

Top Bottom