Data Leak of Personal Data for ALL 191 Million Registered US Voters

Firedemon

So, this happened. If you Google "191 million voters" you'll find a plethora of other articles. Basically, a whitehat hacker stumbled upon a completely open and unsecured database containing the names, phone numbers, home addresses, and whether or not they voted in different years' primaries and general elections, for all 191 million registered US voters. Thankfully no social security numbers or financial information, but we don't know how long this data was up or who could have done what with it. This database was accessible by anyone who could find the address. There was no security of any kind, not even an encryption.

13thforsworn

Is voter registration not a state responsibility? Why would there be a national database to begin with?

Firedemon

It is a state responsibility, but I believe most of that data is sent to some federal agency to be responsibly used for research and possibly to be released partially to political parties and campaigns. The United States as a whole has been becoming more and more centralized over time, heavily ramping up after FDR, so it doesn't really surprise that this data would be aggregated together like this. It also shouldn't really surprise me that this data got leaked, as the US government holds itself to lower cyber security standards than it does the private sector.

Dragonruby

Well China already has all my information from when they stole all that stuff from American service members, so hey, not like much has changed for me.

Top Bottom