Forumer Chat Thread

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
School's started up for me again, so I'm probably going to be posting less.

Which means that It'll take longer for me to finish Fantasy Nations stuff.

Also pink isn't a colour of the rainbow.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Probably going to be moving out of home with a mate for the first time ever. Any tips/warnings?
Tips:

Make sure they sign the lease and you both split the security deposit. Due to a unique situation, my friend and I signed the lease and we had two of our friends live with us. They split rent and utility, but when push came to shove - I got fucked over hard by my friend getting his security deposit immediately as he moved out while I was at home. My half was noticeably reduced due to "cleaning" that my landlord forgot to charge. The other two never signed the lease and escaped out of splitting the losses as well. That was my fault for not adding them to the lease and trying to collect it, but I was too pre-occupied with recovering from Mono and seeing my girlfriend off during the move-in period.

Photograph every room and the condition of it. When I moved into my apartment, there was a rug in the room. I left it there thinking it was the landlords and when I finally moved out, I was slapped with a "$10 fee" for him to "to properly dispose of it" because it was apparently mine and I "left it there." Document everything.

Warnings:

There's a good chance you'll grow to hate your friend.
I lived with three of my friends (Well, two friends and one his fiancé) and it was pretty fun overall, but due to the close proximity and frequency - they'll get on your nerves far more easily. My friend and his fiancé were guilty of making huge meals and never doing the dishes because "they were tired." It led to a massive pile of dishes in the sink that were never cleaned until I had nothing to do and was sick and tired of seeing them. Towards the end of the year, we were practically getting into arguments over small things.

That's all I can really think of for now. On the plus side, you'll see your friend pretty frequenty so that'll be cool.

Maretocks

Yeah I originally planned to move in with 3 friends a few months ago, and we were all going to have our names on the lease, I was making sure of that.

Will do with the photographing, that sounds like a doozy. =/

Yeah, I've been told that by everyone. My current prospective roommate and I understand that, and we're going to lay all sorts of ground rules before we move in. Hopefully we can stick to it and not be petty.

Yeah tru dat. I just can't wait to have that little bit of extra independence.

Requiem

To take what Jeroth said about hating your friends to the next level, you really will come to HATE your friends. Unless you've got infinite patience and you're good at dealing with conflict, both internally and externally, you're gonna have more awful times than you will good times.

This also applies to your friend though. If they've got the right mindset and you've got the right mindset, it'll almost be perfect. There'll still be problems, but not terrible ones which is good. Me and a buddy of mine used to be roommates in a dorm. We worked well together. Then I moved in with some other friends because life prevented me and my original friend from living together. Those other friends and I were never on the same page about anything, to the point of us just not being friends anymore and them leaving the apartment behind while I was the only one in there for the summer. Thankfully the apartment was leased out by the room, but still.

It's just about being on the same page. I've lived better with people I've never met than I ever did with people I knew as friends, at least when it came to apartments.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Everything Jeroth said.

Of course, I've only ever gotten along well with all of my roommates, strangers and friends. But that's mostly because I'm really awesome and all of my roommates are also really awesome.

Maretocks

Yeah I think I should be fine with this friend. he's been out of home since we started uni so I'll trust him to work out how we do everything so we aren't stepping on each other's toes.

Oh TC-senpai, how can I be as awesome as you and your roommates?

Maretocks

Never the long hair again. So much of my life wasted, hiding behind a greasy fringe...
Thanks gorgeous, as long as you're with me I'll keep it together. <3

Top Bottom