Kerbal Space Program

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
NASA launched their second lander from Munar orbit
.2014-10-03_00001.jpg 2014-10-03_00002.jpg
Unfortunately landing on the dark side of the Mun is very hazardous, plus the altimeter calculates for sea level not the actual ground, and since everything was dark I couldn't even use shadows to help gauge altitude. Suffice to say it crashed into the surface roughly 30 kilometers from Jebediah's current location. No one was harmed in this attempt the only casualty was the on-board computer the engineers liked to call H4X0R. Poor H4X0r.

With the second and final lander from Binary Sunrise out of commission NASA has come out with a statement vowing to not give up. We have a new plan! A better plan!
2014-10-03_00004.jpg
We're still working out the kinks.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
While Jebediah's rescue is long over due, the public is also concerned for the five crew aboard Binary Sunrise.
2014-10-06_00005.jpg 2014-10-06_00006.jpg
Rest assured NASA is doing everything we can to get them home safely. Without any further landing-craft the Binary Sunrise can no longer continue with their mission and as such has returned to a low orbit around planet Kerban.

Since Binary Sunrise was never intended to ever land it has no capabilities to safely return to the planet surface.
2014-10-06_00007.jpg 2014-10-06_00012.jpg
As such a new craft is in the works to bring the crew back safely. Here we see the O.R.A.L.S. or Orbital Reentry And Landing Systems being thoroughly tested.
2014-10-06_00014.jpg 2014-10-06_00016.jpg
Once O.R.A.L.S. check out NASA tries to put her in Orbit.
2014-10-06_00017.jpg 2014-10-06_00020.jpg
NASA tries again.
2014-10-06_00021.jpg 2014-10-06_00022.jpg
Okay so that last time actually made it, but the power supply ran out leaving the craft dead in space. So we tried once more with solar panels. We have achieved orbit and now are maneuvering into position to dock with Binary Sunrise.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
So that update where the buildings are destructible is now live. I may want to consider putting parachutes on the multiple stages of my rockets. Who am I kidding we'll just rebuild an hire new staff if anything bad happens.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
MASA is back with a vengeance thanks to the update. I've always wanted to build a space plane and but the parts just simply weren't there. Thanks to this update however, I can now build the beautiful plane that I've always wanted.

Behold, the MASA Thunderbolt. (Yes the name is being reused.)
2014-10-07_00013.jpg

This beauty of engineering is a long distance, heavy class, space cruiser. I built several variants thanks to the new parts. With my new plane built, what was I supposed to do with it? Well, I decided that I would do some form of a long term mun thingy. The point was that I got to try this thing out.

Unfortunately due to the mass of the plane, I had to make some plans for getting it out of the atmosphere. I decided to use a NASA (the real one) style of vertical take off and to attach some massive thrust to the shuttle to assist it. I went with the MASA style of bigger rockets are better and before you know it...
2014-10-07_00008.jpg

We have lift off on the MASA Thunderbolt. It needed two of the biggest thrusters in game with the largest fuel tanks, and four solid boosters to give it the thrust it needed to lift off.

The benefit of the overpowered lift system was that the Thunderbolt could reach space using little to none of its own fuel.
2014-10-07_00014.jpg

Unfortunately... I was missing a few parts for long term space travel... like solar panels... so my launch had to be scrapped as I went back to fit the parts necessary.

On the next lift off, a major failure occurred and we had to abort the mission. Luckily, the space plane was built to function and look cool, so landing it was extremely easy, despite the weird aerodynamic system in Kerbal Space Program.
2014-10-07_00010.jpg 2014-10-07_00011.jpg

I even managed to land it on the runway, as if no problem ever happened. So, the third time being the charm, I once again lifted off to colonize the moon.
2014-10-08_00001.jpg

And then it broke apart randomly. However, it's still pretty cool to see all those parts drifting through space. With hope running high and determination running low, I set off once again. Hoping this time that we will be able to fly across the dark frontier.

Bill and Jebediah Kerman, sat in the cockpit excited to see space and have the experience of a life time. The rocket sat on the launch pad like a sleeping giant when HQ started the final countdown.

"Lift off in T minus 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..."

Then the rockets kicked into life creating massive Gee force which pulled Jebediah and Bill into their seats. It was almost as if the seat was wrapping around them as the deafening roar of 10 massive rockets propelled them upwards.

2014-10-07_00009.jpg

"Prepare for separation of stage 3 solid booster rockets," crackled through the radio.

The solid rockets had drained their fuel reservoir in less than 1 minute and 8 seconds into the flight and it was time to drop the dead weight. Bill flipped the switch and a series of explosions rang out, barely audible, but discernible from the rocket's drone.

"Successful separation of stage 3 solid booster rockets confirmed."

Bill let out the breath he didn't realize he was holding. There was only one more stage separation to go and it was the most stable and dependable one.

The rocket continued on for what was only another minute before the four massive thrusters and the fuel silos, which were nearly the size of corn silos, had to be released. Bill braced himself for the last separation and what was the last major hurdle between him and the last frontier.

"Prepare for separation of stage 2 rockets."

Once again Bill found his hand waiting on the switch. He was just waiting for the noise to die out, that was his queue to release the rockets. Then, like planned, there was silence. The rockets exhausted their fuel and the only sound was the air rushing over the cabin. He flipped the switch and the hydraulic detachment manifold separated the rockets using the huge explosive charge meant for demolishing buildings. Now, all there was to do was initiate the stage 1 rockets and slowly accelerate out from between the two huge beasts. In all of his simulations, it was simple. Bill moved his hand to initiate the stage 1 rockets when a loud clang was heard. Jebediah looked towards Bill for reassurance. The clang transformed into a scraping noise, the sound was unmistakable. It was metal scratching against metal. Soon the sound mutated again into a tearing noise. The sound stopped and it was silent once again.

"Thunderbolt, we have confirmed that you have lost your starboard stabilizer. Abort, I repeat abort the mission."

It was with practiced precision that Bill took the controls and plunged the yolk downwards. He could hear the ailerons groan as the bird slowly begin to rotate. All the practice in the world couldn't prepare him for the feelings that were beginning to manifest inside of him.

2014-10-08_00002.jpg

The abort process for this stage of the mission was simple in theory. The nose was plunged down into a dive position until the shuttle had enough vertical speed to convert it into horizontal speed. The end result should be a controlled glide path. This, was what Bill was thinking but, it was kind of hard for him to wrap his head around the idea of heading straight down towards Kerbal.

It wasn't until the flashing alarms that Bill was pulled from his train of thought. Now was the time to focus. Soon the bird began its dive. If there's one thing that you can rely on in the space bussiness, it's that gravity, or the lack thereof, can seriously fuck things up. Today, was no different. Gravity, being the bitch she is, pulled the plane towards the ground. As the plane accelerated, the drag on the tail fin was becoming more substantial, the lack of drag on the missing tail fin was throwing the plane into an awkward dive. The wind became increasingly louder and louder and louder. It was howling to be heard like some sort of hound from hell and it was getting distracting.

It was almost time to pull the plane into a dive when the first audible alarm was triggered.

A calm male voice started chanting, "Don't crash. Pull up!"

This alarm was of course no help. If any alarm wanted to be helpful, it should have have told him that the thruster was out of alignment prior to releasing an empty corn silo on his starboard stabilizer.

Bill pushed it all out of his mind and pulled on the joystick. He could hear the motors strain as it compressed the air in the cylinders, as the cylinders pushed on the hydraulic fluid, and as the flaps began to modify the airflow. Slowly the nose began to pull up and then exponentially as the flying surface of the wings caught the air. Bill and Jebediah were crushed into their seats but then it came into the viewport. MASA's runways greeted them as they glided towards it. Stable and in control.

2014-10-08_00003.jpg

With a little bit of tricky maneuvering Bill was able to coax the lopsided bird into a controlled stall over the runway. He couldn't see it, but he could feel as MASA's multi-million dollar coffin slowly touched down onto the runway. Bill pulled the brakes and the tires began to squeal as pavement pulled them to a stop.

2014-10-08_00005.jpg

This time both Bill and Jebediah let out a held breath.

They could even taxi it back to the hanger, so that MASA could fix it up and send them up again towards the dark frontier.

EDIT: I was also totally unaware that you could blow up your space center with falling parts... considering the previous events, I hope my space center is okay.

Last edited:

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
The Update seems to have messed with the textures in my game. Even though I have them at the max setting the are very fuzzy.

Recon, you should replace the engines on the thunderbolt with the Nuclear one since they are the most efficient for space flight.

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
The Update seems to have messed with the textures in my game. Even though I have them at the max setting the are very fuzzy.
Make sure to check your resolution and full screen settings. Mine got fucked up during the update.

P.S DOUBLE POST FTW

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
So st some point I lost all my saves, either it was from my computer going down or they wiped all the previous games in a content update.
That being said NASA is starting over from scratch. To mark this new beginning NASA Administrators have agreed our best chance is to start off on the right foot.

Clearly the best way to do this is to send Jebediah to the Mun!
NASA has agreed to better explore the Mun a rover of sorts would be necessary. To compensate for the extra weight of the genuineness that is NASA's rover landing craft combo vehicle, extra fuel for a return trip was excluded.
2014-12-22_00004.jpg 2014-12-22_00008.jpg
We're not messing around here. We're coming in hard and fast.
2014-12-22_00010.jpg 2014-12-22_00011.jpg
Slowing to safe decent speeds. Wait are we landing on a slope? The landing gear should still catch us.
2014-12-22_00018.jpg 2014-12-22_00020.jpg 2014-12-22_00021.jpg
Nope the craft ended up sliding down the hill on its side, but do to some tricky maneuvering on Jebediah's part he was able to right the craft and exit safely.
2014-12-22_00023.jpg 2014-12-22_00029.jpg 2014-12-22_00033.jpg
Unfortunately all the solar panels were damaged during the landing and so shortly after contact was lost With Jebedia Kerman as the batteries ran out.

NASA has issued a statement in their most recent press conference stating that Jebediah is safe and rescue efforts are under way.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
I actually just got into this game again as well. So far I've made a spaceplane that goes to space, but uh, can't stay there for more than a few minutes.

I also had a Kerbal perform an ill-fated EVA that resulted in him re-entering the atmosphere with only his spacesuit. He survived re-entry and splashed down in the water, somehow surviving. I have no idea how.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
I tried to get back into this, but I didn't remember enough to salvage the rescue mission that was mid progress when I interest last time. Now I just haven't put in the time to relearn everything.

Top Bottom