AndyM03

Because carrying a lethal weapon like that gives you a responsibility.
Rights always exist with a co-existing responsibility. The clothing analogy simply doesn't work because her right to wear what she wants doesn't effect others the way that carrying a weapon does. In your first analogy it's the responsibility of the man not to be a dick head, in the second one it's her fault for not taking proper care of her weapon, and if we want to take issue with the law itself, the fact that the weapon was in the open.

TimTh33nchant3r

In your first analogy it's the responsibility of the man not to be a dick head, in the second one it's her fault for not taking proper care of her weapon, and if we want to take issue with the law itself, the fact that the weapon was in the open.
Would it not then be the "man's" responsibility to not grab her weapon and be a dickhead with it?
Is it the woman's fault for not taking proper care of her purse if an assailant absconds with it?
Should we have concealed carry only of any and all valuable things subject to theft?

Your logic seems a bit uneven. Victim-blaming, even.

If it's the innocent's responsibility to safeguard their goods, then theft, rape, murder, etc. are all good, because the victim did not secure themselves and their valuables accordingly.

For my side of that, the responsibility owned by a person open carrying is essentially to know and accept the potential consequences of anything they do with that. It should be accompanied by training delineating when use of deadly force is appropriate, and how to apply such force in a way that minimizes impact on unintended targets. Much like learning to kill with your hands, you must know when it is right and when it is not to use that knowledge, and you must know the consequences of those actions both in sanctioned and unsanctioned instances, for even when you are in the right in the eyes of the law, there will be consequences.

Requiem

I think we can all agree that taking proper precautions with firearms, especially ones you open carry, is a good idea at all times. That said, even if you do take all of the precautions and then someone steals your gun and uses it in a crime, that's on them, not you. Same for if you don't use every precaution.

Its just best to use every precaution period, metaphors about assault or not.

AndyM03

My statement was victim blaming, it's true you can't prepare for every outcome. My anger at the law itself clouded me a bit.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
The difference is that a woman with her tits out in the open puts herself at risk, while a man with his Kalashnikov out in the open puts everybody around him at risk. This is an extremely important distinction.

Dunsparce

Well I'm all for open carry. For too long my gun has been concealed. I want to stand proud with my gun exposed. I want you all to look down at my waist and see my handgun with envy. Know that my rifle is bigger than yours.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Nobody's jealous of your pocket pistol, and pulling it out just to wave it around in front of everyone won't make 'em jealous, just make 'em think you're a fuckin' nut.

Lumpy

The difference is that a woman with her tits out in the open puts herself at risk, while a man with his Kalashnikov out in the open puts everybody around him at risk. This is an extremely important distinction.
I mean, obviously. But the trick was to say that without victim blaming and you clearly failed, my white male friend.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
In that case, I'll point out that women naturally have tits, and have to go out of their way to cover them, whereas rednecks don't naturally have firearms and have to go out of their way to display them. You can't blame a woman for not going far enough out of her way to certainly avoid putting herself at risk, but you can totally blame an idiot for going out of his way to put everybody around him at risk.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Come down to it, no hood and robes either.

Lumpy

In that case, I'll point out that women naturally have tits, and have to go out of their way to cover them, whereas rednecks don't naturally have firearms and have to go out of their way to display them. You can't blame a woman for not going far enough out of her way to certainly avoid putting herself at risk, but you can totally blame an idiot for going out of his way to put everybody around him at risk.
Seems like you'd have to go more out of your way to conceal it. Maybe these rednecks are more comfortable wearing their holsters on the outside of their clothing. They should be shot and killed for wearing something more comfortable?

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Which is all flawed, because they have to go more out of their way to wear it openly than to not wear it at all.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Man, I worked hard for these arms. 'S not right that any bitch ass can walk around acting tough just because he bought some.

The Hound

Just Monika
My forefathers fought and died for my right to bear arms and ain't nobody gonna take them away from me.

I was going to post a picture of bear arms but then I saw this guy and figured an armed bear was more appropriate.

Top Bottom