Rogue One

AndyM03

I loved it personally. That being said, the pacing felt a bit off and it's arguable whether or not they did enough to make you love the characters. Considering it's structure as not only a war movie but a stand-a-lone, that's pretty important.

Regardless, fucking loved it. Third Act is a 69/10.
The Darth Vader scenes were so well done it's ridiculous.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
I would agree the pacing felt fast for the first third of the movie. For a stand alone movie it does a great job of building up A New Hope by giving it a ton more depth.

Also best Darth Vader scenes in all of the Star Wars movies. K2 is also best comic relief.

Rondait

I usually dislike Star wars but I always watch them with an open mind in hopes that they'll surprise me, and I have to admit I quite liked this one. I'm not really sure what did it for me comparatively, but maybe the fact that it felt slightly more grounded than the rest of them helped.

Also, seeing capital ships being relatively useful for a change was nice.

Last edited:

Salsy

Meh film saved by the final act. Still better than Force Awakens.

That Darth Vader pun ...

Firedemon

I just saw it tonight, since my friends are lame and saw it while I was working. It was pretty good, I'm glad Disney is now 2 for 2 on not screwing this up.

Seriously though, need more force monk guy. Please give him a movie next, forget Rey and Fin.

Chickenspleen

I think it works really well as a bridge between the prequels and the OT. There's enough fanservice from both to satisfy anyone.

13thforsworn

I loved it personally. That being said, the pacing felt a bit off and it's arguable whether or not they did enough to make you love the characters. Considering it's structure as not only a war movie but a stand-a-lone, that's pretty important.

Regardless, fucking loved it. Third Act is a 69/10.
Just got home from watching it. This sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Did anyone notice the insane CGI on Governor Tarkin's face? It was pretty jarring. They can make starships look believable, but not a face? It's not like it's never been done before, Fast 7 and Captain America: The First Avenger made it seamless from what I recall.

Chickenspleen

I think the believability of Tarkinbot varied with the lighting. When there were enough shadows on him, he seemed almost real.

13thforsworn

So apparently Leia at the very end of the movie is also CGI, which explains why she looks so stunningly similar. It was done very well in comparison to Tarkin, though she was on screen for about 20 seconds total, whereas Tarkin had a lot more screen time. I don't have a problem with them using CGI, I just wish it was so painfully obvious. I guess I'm asking for too much, because it's probably hard as shit and very expensive.

AndyM03

Seriously though, need more force monk guy. Please give him a movie next, forget Rey and Fin.
I know he was hit and miss with a lot of people, I personally found the bloke charming and funny, but definitely didn't like him that much.
And also Rey and Fin are incredible don't be spinning these lies.

So apparently Leia at the very end of the movie is also CGI, which explains why she looks so stunningly similar. It was done very well in comparison to Tarkin, though she was on screen for about 20 seconds total, whereas Tarkin had a lot more screen time. I don't have a problem with them using CGI, I just wish it was so painfully obvious. I guess I'm asking for too much, because it's probably hard as shit and very expensive.
Unlike Tarkin, Leia was CGI on top of another actual living person. I believe they used Paul Walkers brother to do it.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
And also Rey and Fin are incredible don't be spinning these lies.
I'm actually not too interested in them. It might be the hype that died down, but I'm not a huge fan of them.

Meh film saved by the final act. Still better than Force Awakens.

That Darth Vader pun ...
Salsy's opinion matches mine. It was all right. I went in expecting nothing and found one character that I really liked -
K2. And even then it's because he had more character than the rest of the cast combined by having the drawback of having to always speak his mind.

The Darth Vader pun was jarring. I actually laughed uncontrollably in the theatre at it and yelled "What?" - It was too bizarre and out of character. It makes me feel that the was practicing Stand-Up moments before the meeting. The final scene was amazing though and redeemed it. It's probably my favorite part of the movie.

My friends and I actually thought the production quality on the Vader costume was really low though - the old one from the 70's looked better.

Overall, it was better than Force Awakens, but it's still pretty "eh." I was really excited by the start of it and I thought I was going to get a really dark, gritty story. Then the main characters was introduced and I was met with cold indifference from her character and the charisma of a damp rag.

AndyM03

I'm actually not too interested in them. It might be the hype that died down, but I'm not a huge fan of them.
They tried too often and sometimes too hard to make Finn funny but apart from that I thought they were an amazing performance and built from good writing.
The Darth Vader pun was jarring. I actually laughed uncontrollably in the theatre at it and yelled "What?" - It was too bizarre and out of character. It makes me feel that the was practicing Stand-Up moments before the meeting. The final scene was amazing though and redeemed it. It's probably my favorite part of the movie.
I know many disliked the line but I couldn't help but enjoy it haha. Especially when Darth Vader is hooked up to a breathing apparatus because of his ambition, I mean, it does work sorta. And oath, the last Vader scene was incredible

Overall, it was better than Force Awakens, but it's still pretty "eh." I was really excited by the start of it and I thought I was going to get a really dark, gritty story. Then the main characters was introduced and I was met with cold indifference from her character and the charisma of a damp rag.
Definitely can't say it was better than the Force Awakens, but I was surprised by how hit and miss that movie was for a lot of people. For me it would have been perfect if the plot was just not A New Hope word for word. But I guess if you didn't enjoy Rey and Fin as much as I did I'm sure many other parts of the movie fell flat for you.

I would never rate Rogue One over TFA because TFA knew what it was and in my opinion, killed it. Rogue One has identity and pacing issues which hurt it as a movie. I liked Rogue One a lot, just not that much.

Top Bottom