RWBY Volume 4 Character Short (Ruby)

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
And now drunkle Qrow's gonna die. DAMN YOU, 2016!

13thforsworn

Caught up on the last three episodes. Anyone thought it was stupid that Chameleon girl attacked Sun but they just dipped after asking for the scroll nicely didn't work? She already incapacitated one unarmed individual, just do the same to the other and take back the scroll.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
She and Blake might have some history.

Requiem

Yeah, that makes sense. It's a cool character design though. I'm interested to see more.

Steal Thy Kill

Alright. It's really bothering me that we're 10 episodes in and we've not really accomplished 10 episodes worth of stuff. The fractured story-lines are showing their weaknesses. This was a good episode though.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Alright. It's really bothering me that we're 10 episodes in and we've not really accomplished 10 episodes worth of stuff. The fractured story-lines are showing their weaknesses. This was a good episode though.
I agree. There's two more weeks until the season finale. I'm only keen to see it due to that nuckelavee Grimm. The soft "Boop" playing as Ren gives Nora the wooden hammer was absolutely touching.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
The entire season so far seems to still be setting up the world and characters after the time jump. And if that's the case why jump ahead in the first place. The Ren and Nora flash back was really good though.

Steal Thy Kill

Alright so it looks like we've reached the end of the line for three out of the four after today.

Yang: The only one that I'm actually satisfied with. In a season where not much was advanced or accomplished, that's okay for Yang. Because she wasn't supposed to do much except recover from PTSD and get her robot arm. So mission accomplished now it's either to Mistral or to find Raven and get involved in that whole mess. Probably Mistral since it seems like next year everybody's coming back together there. I was a little worried about how they'd be able to handle this arc, but they did a really good job with it. It went a bit fast at the start, but they still sold it nicely. Full Points.

Weiss: Honestly this was a complete waste of time. We would've been better off if Weiss just stayed behind and went with Team Jaune to Mistral. Weiss is going to Mistral anyway to find Winter, and she could easily accomplish that without the worthless detour to Atlas. I mean really, Weiss did nothing all season. She got home, Dad fired her, she left. What little happened in the Schnee mansion this season could have been easily accomplished without her being there. I wasn't expecting much here going in, but thought we could see some neat broader political stuff like Penny's creator and Ironwood. Yeah... no. We get Ironwood saying "I'm going to make a power play", then him saying "I did". Boring. It was the one thing that could've made Atlas interesting and worthwhile and they glossed over it.

Blake: Alright, the one saving grace here is that Sun finally told Blake what we're all thinking: be less angsty. Hope it sticks, because an actual campaign against the White Fang can be fun. Just like Sun suggested at the beginning of the season. Blake should listen to the monkey boy more often. This season definitely rained on any hype I'd have here. Sucks that we've gotta wait nine damn months for the next volume. But if Yang feels complete, and Weiss feels like a waste, then Blake feels half done. Blake also didn't get much done, but it at least feels like she accomplished more than Weiss because she had growth and scenes with her parents and Sun and actually stumbled back onto the plot. Still not entirely satisfying.

So far we're at a score of 1.5/3, with 2 storylines to go (Team Jaune, then I'm gonna mesh the Ozpin/Salem overplot into something), which is a score I think makes sense for mediocre season. Next week we get our traditional boss battle, then we'll see what else.

13thforsworn

After how season 3 ended on such a high note, season 4 has been disappointing for the reasons outlined by Stealthy. The one thing I kinda disagree with is the bit about Weiss. I feel like seeing her at home fleshed out her backstory and her hatred for her father. It did amount to nothing plot-wise, but I feel like it made sense having her be there since the rest of her team split up.

That all being said, I'm looking forward to the fight against the Grimm White Walker Demon.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
He lived.
Overall, this was sadly "Nothing happened" the season. It felt like a huge promo for season 5.

RenNora confirmed was great. Armed and Ready (the credits song) was fucking amazing. I was disappointed by how the Nuckelavee fight since it was mostly RNJR being sluggish/non-strategic. I think the first fight in the volume had more strategy.

Mistral has the cowardly lion as the headmaster. Watts is there which will be cool. The after-credit scene was pretty cool.

13thforsworn

Overall, this was sadly "Nothing happened" the season. It felt like a huge promo for season 5.

RenNora confirmed was great. Armed and Ready (the credits song) was fucking amazing. I was disappointed by how the Nuckelavee fight since it was mostly RNJR being sluggish/non-strategic. I think the first fight in the volume had more strategy.

Mistral has the cowardly lion as the headmaster. Watts is there which will be cool. The after-credit scene was pretty cool.
Agreed with everything here. The boss fight was really unsatisfying. It stinks of the "stand around and talk while the enemy doesn't attack" thing which always pisses me off. The way they ended up killing it was alright, but the lead up to it was just so lame.

Steal Thy Kill

I actually liked the boss fight. I mean, choreography was lame, but Ren sold the emotional investment. One of the only real justifications for the meandering Ruby plotline is what they did with Ren. This was a season of good moments and scenes that were boring when all put together. I think the Ruby plotline is indicative of that where it has a lot of good scenes but was overall boring.

I understand why this season had to be slow. Gotta set things up again for the action of Volume 5. But there's slow and then there's boring. They dropped the ball with Blake and especially Weiss, and a more balanced sense of action with those two would have salvaged the season, because honestly Ruby's plotline was the only one where things occasionally happened. To carry on from the above, I'll give the Ruby plotline 3/4 points because the back half was good (particularly the Ren bits), but loses because it took half a season to get anywhere and ultimately it lacked any overall weight.

So we're at 2 1/4 stars out of 4, which feels like the right ballpark. The season wasn't bad. It had some very good individual scenes that I can point to, but had serious flaws as a whole.

Still better than Volume 2 and especially 1, but that says more about the problems of the first two seasons than what we got this year.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I was disappointed by how the Nuckelavee fight since it was mostly RNJR being sluggish/non-strategic. I think the first fight in the volume had more strategy.
Agreed with everything here. The boss fight was really unsatisfying. It stinks of the "stand around and talk while the enemy doesn't attack" thing which always pisses me off. The way they ended up killing it was alright, but the lead up to it was just so lame.
I disagree on this, actually. Apart from Ren going apeshit full-ham in the first part of it, this was easily a more tactical approach to boss-fighting than any of the Geist battle was.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
Better than season 1 and 2, but very lack luster coming after season 3. The end of the boss battle until the credits was legit though. I always kind of like Ren even though he never had much of a character so I'm glad so much time was spent on him this season at least.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
The after-credit scene was pretty cool.
"No, don't! Alcohol's a vasodilator, it's the last thing you need!"
"Ren, I'm already recovering from Faunus poison. Now is not the time for any more chemical changes to my system."

...is a conversation I like to think happened earlier, as Qrow was taking off to find the nearest bar.

Top Bottom