Telltale Games!

Tag_Ross

Oh, I loved the game, I just didn't like that only the last choice that matters in the end.
or that one of the two options literally erases everything you did. It was expected that it would be an option with 0the theme of time travel, but with it being one of only two options it felt pretty disappointing.

Still a great game, I still recommend it despite the lackluster endings.

TimTh33nchant3r

Tales From the Borderlands...Pretty good game.
I couldn't stop laughing during the final Voltron-esque scene.
Game of Thrones.
I wasn't sure if it was just me and the choices I picked, but those Forrester dudes got fucked up. A lot. Asher was cool though. It sounds like from what all you guys are saying, there really isn't a winning ending to this though. Kind of discourages a second playthrough. It wouldn't even have to be a winning end so much as a less-shit one, really. My playthrough left basically everyone but Asher and those bastard dudes dead. And they were really creepy.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
So I just started playing the Wolf Among Us. God damn, the start with the Woodsman was intense and set the mood perfectly. I just stopped by Lawrence's apartment and had the chase scene happen. I'm about to see what's going on with Toad. Faith was cute and I'm sad about what happened. Overall, I'm excited to continue the story.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
Life is Strange is a great game, but I couldn't help feeling railroaded more while playing it than I did in any Tell Tale game.

Walrus

So I just started playing this game where I make choices about how I interact with other people. It gets me a few weird reactions when I pause for a few seconds before saying anything to whoever I'm talking to, but it's been pretty great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Fuck. I just hit the end of episode 1. My rendition of Bigby was going to be a cop that was rough around the edges.

I'm going full rampage, loose cannon cop on the edge from now on.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Fuck. I just hit the end of episode 1. My rendition of Bigby was going to be a cop that was rough around the edges.

I'm going full rampage, loose cannon cop on the edge from now on.

And I just hit the opening credits of episode 2. What the fuck is going on?

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Keep these moment-by-moment updates coming. Use spoiler tags if necessary. I love hearing peoples' thought on this game as it unfolds.

Which reminds me, @Null Hypothesis Casey started binging the game last night. He seemed pretty disinterested half an hour into the first episode, then like five hours later he started texting me about the end of episode 3. Heh heh heh.

Tag_Ross

Before the topic came up the other day i didn't have anyone to talk about these games who didn't want to only talk about walking dead, which I'm not interested in, and I've been meaning to play wolf among us, so I'll probably get around to it next month, too many bills to buy more games this month.

Did anyone play Telltale's Back to the Future? I played the first episode before I watched the movies and I never much about them since, is it any good?

Requiem

I own it and the Sam and Max series. Haven't played either of them, but I suppose they were good enough to make AMC want them to do TWD, so that's something.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Fuck. I knew Crane was becoming too decent. I was thinking it was a glamour Crane, but given the mirror was smashed? Yeah. Also, Bluebeard is making power plays in the preview for episode 3. I don't trust him.

Overall, I tried to play it better. Like Snow would. I went out of my way to avoid fighting people except the Beast and it was self-defense.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Damn. Double Duped. So Crane was just a pawn. Half-right and half-wrong. I still have a reason to hate Crane.

My decisions for the episode was not interrupting the funeral. I was there, so I didn't think anything bad would happen. Fuck the Tweedles.

Following that, I went to Crane's apartment and refused Jack's deal. He's a thief and I've been playing Bigby as a "Law is the Law" type of guy. Jack was stealing, no deal. He either spits up information or he's arrested. Then I went to the Tweedle's office and offered Flycatcher a job - or an opportunity for one. Then I went to the bar, backed the Woodsman and found out about witch's address.

I knew the little girl was the witch from that start. Shit was too suspicious. I almost burned her tree down, but remembered how rough the other fables have it. Begrudgingly, I let her keep it since I remembered that it's not technically illegal for glamours. I did threaten that if her information was wrong I'd burn it down.

Finally, I murdered Dum. I murdered him so god damn hard. I'm all for playing by the rules, but that was self-defense. They KEPT shooting at Bigby and had no sign of stopping or giving up. They ruined the funeral rites and are overall, just shitty people. I don't see the benefits of keeping someone alive who seems irredeemable.

I started a bit of Episode 4 and I made the decision about Colin. This is the first time that I wavered. I didn't promise Colin that I wouldn't send him to the farm or that he'd be sent. I said that Snow will come around. I tried to ask if I could take of Nerissa's ribbon, but apparently the option meant trying to do it anyway. So Nerissa is a bit scared of me for that. I stopped there and I'll pick up later.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Is Bloody Mary the freaking best, or what? I want a season 2 prequel with her as the main character.
I feel like her visual design could be a bit better, but she's a pretty sweet character. I'm curious to see more of her in episode 4 & 5.

I'm debating killing her if I ever get the option. I've been trying to be good, but no matter what I do, I'm seen as a monster. I know Bigby wants to change and leave his past behind, but I'm going to murder whoever I see as evil. Also, Snow's uppity pretentious bullshit is starting to get on my nerves.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
To preface it, I liked the setting far more than the game. I liked the voice actors and the characters, but I just absolutely despise tell tale games at this point. I've been a DM enough to notice the illusion of choice and it's frustrating to play it and realize that the final choice of the game determines one of two ends. You could play a good cop all the way until the final confrontation and then that's your end. Also, the "Will remember that" bits don't do much.

With Walking Dead, it felt better due to the character connections. With Tales from the Borderlands [which I've begun to play], I don't care because the dialogue is hysterical. Wolf Among Us didn't have any fantastic characters except Nerissa and Bigby. Maybe Woody. Let me dive into it though.

As far as my important choices, I told Colin that Snow may change her mind about the farm. Colin was annoying at first, but having one guy actually stand up for me after everyone going: "BIGBY, YOU'RE A DICK FOR KILLING DUM! BY THE WAY, KILL THE CROOKED MAN FOR US." It felt good.

I went to the lucky pawn next and god damn. Jersey Devil is making me proud to be from there. His glamoured form was perfect and his actual form was even better. Woody helping me out, sharing a cig and the quick chat? Probably the highlight of the game for me given how it started. Then I went to the Butcher shop. I expected the butcher to backstab me, not.. y'know. Be a wimpy look out.

I gave Toad the money because Glamour is pretty hard to get and I can see that.

For the final choice, I told the Crooked man that he's coming with me, but I honestly wish I just chose [smoke]. It would have been pretty sweet.

Also, I was kind to Tiny Tim. I pitied the kid even after he was complaining how everyone pities him.

I killed Georgie. The Crooked Man in his fable was an absolute cock and I wanted to smash him to pieces, but I'm the man of the law. I pitied Georgie, being forced to kill two employees then to watch his girl/partner/partner-in-crime die in front of him. It was an unsavory business, but it was due to the Woodlands and how terrible Crane was.

The fight against Bloody Mary was pretty neat, but I much preferred the fight with Jersey. It was more gritty and felt more like a brawl.

I disarmed the Crooked Man and took him in. I wanted to kill him, but I didn't want Snow to complain or the rest of the villagers to (Not that they would - after all, they all want him dead.)

Of course, the Crooked Man sways the crowd. Throughout this, I just stuck on the road of "Shut up. You're on trial. We'll deal with ourselves later."

Nerissa showing up was great and of course the Crooked Man tries to hurt Bigby. Originally, I wanted to toss him down the well, but after what he pulled? I wanted to tear his head off. Honestly, if it was just Bigby and the Crooked Man, I would have.

Somehow Colin stayed and Toad was sent away? I guess for Colin to have to go back, you force him to the truck. Toad is an ass, so I don't feel too bad, but I'm upset with Snow for not giving him another chance. So much for "We need to help the community."

I accepted TJ's gift. Who the fuck would deny it? That's just mean.

For my talk with Nerissa, I basically just told her that no matter what people get mad at me when I'm doing a dangerous job to protect them and I just hope that I've done some good. They ended the season well with that cool bookend, but in the same vein, I don't know if I'd be interested in season 2.

Overall, my issues with the game is that it doesn't dramatically change the story, just the responses. If you're a dick, they fear you or they're a dick back. That and some of the characters were just poorly written.

Snow went from being the good cop that wanted to help everyone if it meant bending the law to Javert: "MY DUTY IS TO THE LAW. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT. COME WITH ME TOAD!" I adored her in Season 1. She felt like the novice cop that needed guidance to an equal to someone who I felt loss for. Then I just stopped caring about her once Crane was gone. Once she demanded she needed my respect, she lost it.

Beast - The only character trait of him I enjoyed was the voicemail. It was sickeningly sweet and cute, but outside of that? His character was ruined in Chapter 2.

"BIGBY! I SEE YOU FOR WHO YOU ARE. I WON'T LISTEN TO REASON! I'M A BEAST!" The doo
[Door is knocked down revealing blood]
"OH FUCK. I GUESS YOU'RE RIGHT AND I'LL DO WHAT YOU SAY AND PRETEND WE WEREN'T JUST FIGHTING"

Iunno. It wasn't my favorite Telltale game. Walking Dead Season 1 still has that space since I got connected to the story. Tales from the Borderlands might claim second since I've laughed way too hard at it and I actually like the dialogue in the game.

BigRandy69

Having only played the walking dead (seasons 1 & 2) and game of thrones, I can only vouch for game of thrones being drastically superior. There is more of a weighted feel to the relationship between Lee and Clem that always feels much more forgiving in that your choices never seem to be able to jeopardize it in any way. What this does in turn is focus the choices on affecting other non-player characters that are much more expendable. (not that game of thrones is without it's lions share of death) The disposition changes in the walking dead seem to do more in etching out deviations from the typical set-in-stone story-line than game of thrones. While I was certainly surprised at the twist ending in episode 1, the split character arcs never allowed for much investment towards any of the minor roles and the major characters were wearing plot armor so pointless and cumbersome it may as well have been a shoehorned Bethesda DLC.

Overall each game presented itself exceptionally though both included far less suspenseful (action) moments than I would have desired. What makes walking dead superior IMO is the authenticity of Clems character and her relationship with Lee. This genuine bond leaves the second season feeling overwhelmingly lonesome and more like a spin-off than a sequel. Another drawback from both games (though mostly for me) is the lack of an incentive to aid or familiarize with the underdog characters. Finn (GoT) and Larry (WD) were brutish assholes who could still be sympathized and reasoned with, but overall they were just a liability to everyone else, never using their strength for profit in any situation. And then there's Ben. A true detriment to society, culture and average human competence.

Single favorite moments from each game:

game of thrones - episode 3:
Playing as Garett while still in the nights watch will eventually lead you to an impressively obnoxious twat named Britt. While patrolling atop the wall Britt just impales you out of nowhere, leaving you with a very small time frame to make a very important series of decisions. If you make the objectively correct choices eventually you end up slowly torturing Britt before kicking him off of the top of the wall.
walking dead season 1 - episode 2:
Killing Duck

Top Bottom