The Mount Rushmore of Gaming

Tag_Ross

[Links/videos at the bottom]

Alright fuckers, so I had this video¹ recommended to me by YouTube yesterday so I, still feeling patriotic (drunk), watched the crappy video. Realizing how crappy it was, even though I was patriotic off my ass, I decided to make a better Mount Rushmore of gaming that had less to do with me personally, and more to do with gaming, as it relates to the culture of gaming.

My list goes as follows:

Super Mario

Reasons: simple, he's the star of the highest selling video game franchise to date. He's become synonymous with platformers(as well as other genres) Plus he'll be turning thirty-five this Saturday, what other video game characters can say that?

Fuckin Pikachu.

Reasons, he's the Pokemon mascot, the face is the series that created the collectable monster trading games that revolutionized social gaming so much he was banned from schools and feared to be the Antichrist (that's pretty metal)

Bond, James Bond.

Whys: without GOLDENEYE the console FPS scene would be totally different, he by no means created it, or even popularized it, but without the existence of 007 and his game we would likely not have our halos and cod(that makes me want fried fish and onion rings) that would go on to restructure today's video game industry.

Mortal Kombat ninja

Who? Hey, it's an unpainted carving in a mountain and they all look the same without color.

So yeah, originally I was gonna pick Ryu from Street Fighter, but i felt Mortal Kombat was the Fighter that left a bigger mark in gaming culture since they forced the creation of the rating system we've known and ignored for a long time. So I was going to pick their main character... But Liu Kang is the most boring character in the first couple games, the most popular characters are the ninjas, Sub Zero and Scorpion, who were palette swaps of the same actor (who wore a red costume by the way) their rivalry has defined the series whose brutality made parents realize that videogames aren't just toys.

My question to you guys is this, can we make it any better?

The Hound

Just Monika
Hmm off the top of my head

Mario (sonic works too but Sonic really was the guy who took the Mario ideas an made them EXTREME and awkwardly sexy at times)

Doom Guy/Wolfenstein guy/Whatever FPS you had a boner for in the early-mid 90's (Goldeneye innovated on Multiplayer FPS, well that and Perfect Dark but same company, but I'd say Doom guy and Wolfenstein guy did more for the entire FPS genre)

Pikachu is fine but I'd rather put someone like Link up there, if we're talking about open world adventure games Link really is one of the pillars of that, and since many of the early open world RPG's didn't really have memorable main characters, it just feels even more fitting to put Link up there.

Lastly I'd put an Orc on there? or a Starcraft Zerg? Something to commemorate Blizzard and what they've done not only for the MMO but also RTS (and now the Collectible card game genre).

Oh and yea that video is trash, that dude is the perfect example of that kid we all went to school with who would try to twist every project into a chance to give the things he likes a blowjob even if it had nothing to do with the assignment.

Dunsparce

That video was so dumb. They represented games that they personally liked, instead of games that actually laid the foundations for the medium.

My list would probably be:
#1 Arthas from WoW: because it's a game that really influenced me, and Arthas would look really cool as a giant statue.
#2 Dunsparce from Pokemon: because Pokemon is a game that influenced a lot of people, and Dunsparce is the most well known pokemon in my mind.
#3 Tracer's ass from League of Legends: because that's a character that I think really touched a lot of our hearts.
#4 Dunsparce from Pokemon: because if I submit it twice, I think it has a better chance.

Rondait

I'm not a big fan of the character but I'd argue Cloud Strife would be a decent pick.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
If I was going to pick a character from Final Fantasy, they would be from I, IV, VI, or Tactics. Fuck off with your shit pick, Rondait, Mount Rushmore is for good presidents.

Rondait

All those games I enjoy more than VII but Cloud is far more recognizable by a man on the street than any other FF character. If it's a Mount Rushmore representing gaming culture in general then he is the best pick from the series sadly.

Tag_Ross

Honestly, despite everything ff has done for the genre (and gaming as a whole) I wouldn't ever consider using one of them for the mount Rushmore of gaming, mostly it has to do with the way ff is structured, the games are so loosely related to eachother that it doesn't even feel like a franchise, you could replace final fantasy with "Square Enix RPG #" and have damn near the same effect.

If i was forced to use an ff character I'd pick a chocobo or a moogle.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
If it's a Mount Rushmore representing gaming culture in general then he is the best pick from the series sadly.
The purpose would presumably be, much like actual Mount Rushmore, to celebrate the history and progress of vidya games, not the culture thereof.

A chocobo or moogle would be a solid pick, but I still wouldn't put Final Fantasy on my Mount Playmore. Not even TG Cid.

Top Bottom