US-Cuba Deal

13thforsworn

So POTUS announced his plan to lift sanctions against Cuba and restoring diplomatic relations, after secret negations mediated by Canada and apparently Pope Francis. The goal of the sanctions back in the day was to starve Cuba into overthrowing the communist regime there. Considering the Cuban regime has outlived the Soviet Union, that obvious didn't work. Anyway, many people are saying that it was about time, however there are legitimate concerns about this deal other than the typical partisan opposition. For example, Cuba has a poor history with respecting human rights, and this deal may not liberalize the country and only provide more financial wealth for the regime and not necessarily the average Cuban.

Most of y'all are Americans. Thoughts?

Obligatory "thanks Obama..."

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Hm, I guess we haven't really traded anything in awhile. I mean, we almost traded missiles in the 60's but that was about it.

If this means I can get Cuban cigars with no hassle, I'm all for it.

Walrus

My limited, secondhand understanding of the deal is that Obama gave Cuba stuff and got nothing in return, so it is the worst deal ever and Obama failed at negotiating. Is that an accurate account?

Also, as a half-cuban with relatives that were political prisoners, I don't like Castro.

Top Bottom