What are you Reading? (Books Discussion)

Whitetiger

So seeing as we're a bunch of Neanderthals and don't have a book thread yet, I decided to make one.

Anyway, I've been reading and listening to Brandon Sanderson's books/audiobooks lately. So far I've finished both Stormlight Archives novels and am nearly complete book 3 of the Mistborn series. I'd highly recommend both series to anyone interested in High Fantasy at all.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Recently I started reading the accidental death of an anarchist. I'm about a third of the way through.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
that really nails it down bruv.
Honestly the only Stephen King I've read is "On Writing" which is awful of me, but oh well.
I've been reading through On Writing. I'm about 140 pages in. I mostly started reading writing books to get some ideas on how to improve my CYOA writing.

Speaking of reading, I think I have a reading problem. I've been binge reading CYOA stories for the past few months.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
The Shawshank Redemption is Stephen King's best work imo.

Reading through an 80 page TIME special on Alexander Hamilton. Also just started the Count of Monte Cristo. Recently finished The War and the Novelist, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
>reading

Actually considering reading The Art of War, though. Maybe Dune as well.

Requiem

that really nails it down bruv.
Honestly the only Stephen King I've read is "On Writing" which is awful of me, but oh well.
He's a master of what he does and that's not me speaking kindly. He just knows his shit. His world crafting is amazing and his ability to tie all of his works into one thing with a single line or word is incredible. Like, the Shining, it's a power that some people have, right? It only just dawned on me that characters in the Dark Tower probably have the Shining themselves. The stories are so well crafted and put together that you don't even see the connections until you finally do.

I know not all of that will make sense, but go read his stuff. He knows how to use time and space to great effect in his settings. It's wonderful.

AndyM03

I haven't read in so long but now I have an hour and 20 minute bus commute I've started reading a Confederacy of Dunces.

TimTh33nchant3r

Brandon Sanderson is very good. I'm currently reading Strands of Sorrow, by John Ringo. Can't go wrong with a zombie story. Almost done with that though, and on to more Wild Cards novels next.

Whitetiger

I finished the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie and am starting the three side stories set in the same world now. I found First Law to have absolutely fantastic characters and some very interesting plot twists. My only complaint is the ending didn't really feel wrapped up very much, but I think that was sort of the point.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I finally found the time to finish reading On Writing by Stephen King. A good portion of the book is about how he became a rather, and not writing itself. Overall it was an alright book, had some stuff I took away from it. At the very least it's making me a little more conscious of how many adverbs I use.

Top Bottom