What are you Reading? (Books Discussion)

CooLDoG

I reading some random Camus and One Dimensional Man by Marcuse because I am smarter than all of you.

But actually though, Stephen King is a boss.

Requiem

I actually haven't gotten to read the Shining yet. My school's library is sorely lacking in classic King. I have read a lot of his new stuff though. Revival was great, Under The Dome as well, and I read the sequel to the Shining, Doctor Sleep, and that was also awesome. He does Americana mixed with Lovecraftian ideas extremely well.

Requiem

I need to read that as well, it ties into the Dark Tower series and I wanna know everything to do with that connection before reading the 5th book.

The Hound

Just Monika
Haven't been reading, but I've been listening to Bill Nye's books on Audible, really brings me back to watching his show as a kid since he's the one narrating the books.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I was about to say, fight me dog.
Stephen King pretty mediocre, m8.
^yo, read Salem's lot then. Has a confined small town setting with vampires, it's pretty chill.
...but Salem's Lot was actually pretty dece, as I remember. Granted, I was a children then.

BigRandy69

To date I've read 15 books, 6 pamphlets and 40-something magazine articles, so I'd classify my reading habit as avid.
In actuality I've had a bit of trouble picking up reading again after stopping outright for a good 2-3 years. Fiction is no longer fascinating to me, it has depreciated my interest to be nearly as incessantly lifeless as non-fiction. I have come to view most literary devices as lazy. Magic, advanced technology, the supernatural, none of these are intriguing or really do anything to convey conflict outside of a limitless power struggle between (usually) objective ends of the moral spectrum. Restriction breeds creativity. A genuine narrative that confines itself to the natural realm of real life relates to the reader on a deeper level aside from fictions usual "if I was in this hypothetical I would do the same thing as the good-guy protagonist so that's why I identify with them." The majority of my favorite pieces of literature are either entirely devoid of conflict and motive or present something evil at first and then try to rationalize it into good. Many of my favorite novel moments come at the very end of a dystopian story where the neo-de-facto arch-evil corporate overlord actually has a really good point that I mostly agree with.

Top Bottom