Forumer Chat Thread

Firedemon

Shaving your head is a pretty solid move in my totally unbiased opinion.

Some bald pro-tips though:
Your head will get cold in the winter, consider a beanie if you don't already have one.
Your hair actually absorbs a lot of sweat, a lot more than you think until you shave your head. You may have issues of sweat running into your eyes.
Also, avoid sun burns. They really suck on your scalp, and for the first week or two it'll be really easy to burn if you're outside a lot and it's sunny.
Also, being bald is annoyingly high maintenance in terms of shaving.

The Hound

Just Monika
Yep already have several beanies, it's part of the reason I decided to shave it off now because if I hated it I could just wear a beanie all winter. As for sunburns I know that wrath already since my hair was thinning on the top and I happened to get a scalp burn this past summer. I do have a sweatband somewhere, I might have to dig it up for when I play sports, definitely didn't think about that.

I'm fully prepared for the extra work it's going to take, but considering it wasn't too bad shaving it all off in the first place I'm not too concerned, plus no more haircut appointments and no more bullshit small talk with the hairdresser.

Chickenspleen

I've always thought about shaving my head bald, but I'm always worried I'll have some weird birthmark or something up there.

The Hound

Just Monika
Well you might be able to notice I have a mole on my forehead, which I accidentally nicked while shaving and it was bleeding everywhere. I was quite concerned about a scar I have on the top of my head but it's hardly noticeable.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I think it looks neat. I'm a fan of my hair personally, it's nice keeping my head a little warmer during winter.

Ro Ro Ro

I plan on shaving my hair in just over one week. Second time donating it. First time going bald. I will definitely be taking before and after photos.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
So, I've been running some crazy calculation with Excel at my university's main computer lab for the last... 2 hours and it's only around 90% done. After I cut out 7,000 iterations. I have two more data sets to run this same calculation with.

Mass spec data can just go fuck itself. Right in the eye. With a depleted primary ion source.
...?

What are you even doing, that you end up A) leaving out 7k iterations from your end result, and B) hating on your own MS data? Protein synthesis?

Firedemon

Basically I was using the most inefficient algorithm ever. I was lamenting this suffering to a friend of mine and he gave me an algorithm that did it in less than a minute for each data set. All I was doing was binning the data, and Excel doesn't have a built in function for that. The postdoc in my lab told me to use the SUMIF() function, which has the issue of needing to check every single data point on every iteration. These spectra are of massive gold clusters (we're characterizing our primary ions right now) with over 600,000 data points, so you can see why that might take a while. I dropped the last 350,000 iterations (I actually misspoke earlier) on that data set because our collection window had been a bit too large (it was around 1.2 million data points) and was picking up a second projectile, and we weren't really that interested in the noise past the peak* anyways.

*blob/distribution

But yeah, my friend's algorithm trivialized that and saved me around four hours.

Ro Ro Ro

So Shadow's interview for his departure inspired me to talk about how in the hell I became a furry. @Colonel Thunder do you want to conduct an interview with me regarding that, or shall I just remake Ro3's Random Adventures? I could also give a second perspective on Team Dash.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
So Shadow's interview for his departure inspired me to talk about how in the hell I became a furry. @Colonel Thunder do you want to conduct an interview with me regarding that, or shall I just remake Ro3's Random Adventures? I could also give a second perspective on Team Dash.
Ha. Sure, I'm down.

Top Bottom