Forumer Chat Thread

The Hound

Just Monika
I could never tell but did Canadians actually like Rob Ford? Like half the time it seemed like they were embarrassed of him and now there's so many memorial stuff all over the place.

13thforsworn

I could never tell but did Canadians actually like Rob Ford? Like half the time it seemed like they were embarrassed of him and now there's so many memorial stuff all over the place.
Some Torontonians liked him. He presented himself as an every man's man sort of person. If you had a problem, he would personally take care of it. There are many stories of people calling his office over a problem they had, and he would show up at their door the next day with the work crew that was needed to fix the problem. He was almost like Trump in a sense, he "said it like it was" and campaigned on ending public spending waste. His motto was "respect for the taxpayers", and was in favour of building new subways in certain sections of the city. Looking at all this at face value, he seems like a pretty appealing guy, but that's just it, it's a glance at his policy platform. People didn't bother to dig deeper. He was hugely disruptive during city council, so polarizing that little was getting done. Other city councillors called it a circus. He made cuts to the budget that were harmful in the name of cutting waste. People in Toronto hear "subway" and get an erection, but they didn't bother to consider whether putting a subway where Ford proposed building it actually made sense, and at what cost (monetarily) and at what cost policy-wise. He canceled the previous transit initiative that was fully approved, fully funded, and ready to go, that would have serviced more people by several magnitudes. He put transit in Toronto back a decade, and his plan has been canceled in favour of the new mayor's plan, which is a little better, but not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Ford was also arguably racist and homophobic, not very good in a city that is hugely multicultural and is home to people from virtually every country in the world.

So why are people sad and posting memorial stuff? Because he was our mayor, and because he genuinely cared about the city, even if his ideas of making it better were hugely flawed. Also, he died of cancer. Nobody deserves that. I hated the guy, but I was legitimately disappointed to hear about it at the time, even though it meant he had to tag out of the mayoral race and switch spots with his brother, which allowed a new, competent mayor to be elected. I'm in no shape or form happy to hear about his death, he was only 46 and has two young kids.

Requiem

The way I had it explained to me is that he was a flawed man. He did good and he did bad. He doesn't seem like he was an evil dude, just misguided and not that great at his job at all times. Sad to hear he passed.

Lumpy

City councilors didn't like Ford because he kept trying to cut their budget and salaries while he was a city councilor.

Requiem

Yeah, the ruseman thing is pretty shitty and stupid. I'm usually a fan of things bucking the trends and what not. I'm pretty sure this was supposed to have to do with the troll face and an alarming number of people tried to make it a thing when literally everyone else wanted it to not be a thing.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
So I think @Colonel Thunder or a distant relative of his opened my new bank account.

He had a similar face, voice and mannerisms as TC, including the part where he almost crashed the program along with the fact that he was was clueless on how to apply for a credit card and had to ask an administrator for help.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
So I think @Colonel Thunder or a distant relative of his opened my new bank account.

He had a similar face, voice and mannerisms as TC, including the part where he almost crashed the program along with the fact that he was was clueless on how to apply for a credit card and had to ask an administrator for help.
Ha, nice.

Apparently I have a very familiar or at least somewhat common appearance and demeanor. About once every month or two, some random person walks up to me and starts talking to me like an old friend, and then after a few seconds they realize I'm not who they thought I was. Occasionally I have to be the one to explain that they are mistaken as to my identity, but it's always really awkward because I'm plagued by the feeling that perhaps I actually do know hem, I've just forgotten who they are. So far, it's only been confirmed strangers though, so that's nice.

Top Bottom