Guild Wars 2 75% Saturday and Sunday [Expansion Hype]

Firedemon

I guess I should get back to Guild Wars 2 and finally get my necromancer to max level. But so busy... I should get someone to do my writing assignments for lab for me, that would give me enough time.

Firedemon

I wonder if the Revenant is going to be reminiscent of the ritualist from Guild Wars: Factions, like how the rogue is very clearly inspired by the assassin and the guardian is derived from the ever popular Warrior/Monk combination. Whether it's a nod to Factions or not, I'm definitely gonna be one of those totally original guys rolling one on day 1 to see how awesome it is. I just hope they don't, accidentally or otherwise, make it extremely OP at first like when Blizzard added the first new class to WoW.

I'm really glad they're putting guild halls and GvG into the game, it just isn't Guild Wars without guild wars. The gliders I hope aren't gimmicky, but they have potential for cool. It sounds like the new zone is going to be huge, like the size of several zones, in which case cool, but if it is only the size of a normal zone, I hope they add some more. A singular new zone that isn't absurdly large just isn't enough for an expansion, not after the bars they set with Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North, or after the bars other MMOs have set.

So, the Story Trailer seemed to have the Sylvari being seen as an enemy by the other races, is this a continuation of something I haven't gotten to in the story yet, or is this something new?

13thforsworn

I wonder if the Revenant is going to be reminiscent of the ritualist from Guild Wars: Factions, like how the rogue is very clearly inspired by the assassin and the guardian is derived from the ever popular Warrior/Monk combination. Whether it's a nod to Factions or not, I'm definitely gonna be one of those totally original guys rolling one on day 1 to see how awesome it is. I just hope they don't, accidentally or otherwise, make it extremely OP at first like when Blizzard added the first new class to WoW.

I'm really glad they're putting guild halls and GvG into the game, it just isn't Guild Wars without guild wars. The gliders I hope aren't gimmicky, but they have potential for cool. It sounds like the new zone is going to be huge, like the size of several zones, in which case cool, but if it is only the size of a normal zone, I hope they add some more. A singular new zone that isn't absurdly large just isn't enough for an expansion, not after the bars they set with Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North, or after the bars other MMOs have set.

So, the Story Trailer seemed to have the Sylvari being seen as an enemy by the other races, is this a continuation of something I haven't gotten to in the story yet, or is this something new?
All of Living Story season 2 has been leading up to
the sylvari are actually creations of Mordremoth and (at least some of them) are under its command now).

Also, you can get a taste of what the revenant class will be like from the annoucement trailer. Rytlock is now a revenant.

Other notable things from the trailer:
Mesmer shields
Ranger staves (druid specialization)
Engineer hammers
Rytlock using a spear out of water
Necromacer greatswords (not pictured but confirmed)

Last edited:

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
So what makes Guild Wars special? I haven't really been able to get very far in many mmo's.

13thforsworn

So what makes Guild Wars special? I haven't really been able to get very far in many mmo's.
Copy/pasting this from a reddit thread because it does a better job than I could ever do.
I highly recommend this game, especially at this cost, it's a goddamned steal. I first tried GW2 shortly after leaving WoW, and honestly I didn't like it at first. I approached it like another WoW mmo, and just didn't "get it". I booted it up again some time later, and just decided to ignore everything and go off exploring, and found the best exploration game this side of Skyrim. There's stuff hidden everywhere, incredible views (My screenshot folder is huge), there's an incredibly active and friendly community.

The way it was designed really helps foster the community as well. Every class can rez a downed character, every class can heal, every class is fun. There's no competition for gathering nodes, which spoils nodes for every other game, seriously.

The graphics are the best I've seen in an mmo. The characters are vibrant and beautiful, and Arenanet's focus on aesthetics is fantastic. Being someone a bit old in the teeth (mid thirties), I've calmed down from my raiding days, and I've found this game suits me perfectly. The combat is great, extremely active, and being able to dodge ruins combat in other games for me as well.

In most MMO's, I hate pvp. I hate it. I get stunlocked, can't do anything, and then die. Over and over and over and it never stops till I ragequit. Guild Wars 2's Edge Of The Mists is incredible for PvP, though. Think of two (or more) incredibly large armies, roaming around a giant mazelike battlefield. You can go off on your own, I certainly did my first time. I didn't see anyone, so I went wandering off to pick herbs and chop trees or whatever, and then I noticed my frame rate starting to drop. I suddenly saw a literal wave of red names come streaming over a hill, annihilate me in half a second as I attempted to flee, and continued their march to secure points. Seeing two groups meet up accidentally is the most fun I've ever had in a game online.

I haven't dabbled in dungeons or fractals (hard dungeons, as I understand it), as I'm still exploring. The zones in the game all downscale your level, but not in a way that makes you feel neutered. So, this essentially makes the entire game still viable for max level characters. That's an astonishing amount of content. I leveled my first character primarily in two starter zones and PvP, so here I am with a max char, and hardly any map progress.

So, set aside what you think Guild Wars 2 is, please. You would be doing yourself a disservice passing it up. Sure, it's not as hard as other MMO's, but they don't all have to be. Guild Wars 2 has the most stunning game world I've ever seen, and I really hope you all give it a go.

Edit: Also, the crafting is brilliant. Also, the focus on character wardrobe is amazing. You can dye your armor freely, and transmog sets to make the most perfect outfit for any situation you choose. It's a really, really great feature.

There is a cash shop, but you can buy the currency with in game gold as well, which I have done. The game is not at all pay to win, so quell that fear. Tons of cosmetics, temporary boosters, that sort of thing. You can also deposit all your "collectables" (crafting materials) to your bank from anywhere, which is sooooo fucking handy. Also, the ability to sell on the Auction House from anywhere is super awesome.

There are no mounts (which bummed me out at first), there's a waypoint system. As you explore, you come on these waypoints and they unlock, so you can just double click them on the map from anywhere, and instantly teleport for a small fee. I've come to appreciate these more than mounts, actually.
If anyone has any specific question, I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I would buy it, but it is really annoying to get prepaid debit cards since I don't have my own, and I don't think they sell them in 10$ amounts where I live and I don't know what I'd do with the rest. When does the sale end again? Tomorrow?

13thforsworn

I would buy it, but it is really annoying to get prepaid debit cards since I don't have my own, and I don't think they sell them in 10$ amounts where I live and I don't know what I'd do with the rest. When does the sale end again? Tomorrow?
11:59 pm PST, January 25th. So the end of tomorrow. You can always spend the rest on Steam games or even gem store items. Or something really cheap on Amazon, because god knows everything on that website is a steal compared to retail.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Yeah I'll probably try buying it tomorrow. I actually have a really mild phobia of going to stores and buying things which is the real reason I don't like buying prepaid debit cards though. Not sure if it is being stingy, anti-social or a combination of both. So how many people on the forums play guild wars 2 again?

Last edited:

13thforsworn

I have it, Fire Demon has it, and now Tolvan and possibly you. I know back in the day Rob made a GW2 guild that had a bunch of people, but that thing died quickly and I don't even remember who was in it besides him, Sugar, and Roamin.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Well I bought the game, I hate character creation in MMOs though. I can never decide between mage, theif and archer classes. Usually I just go mage but I generally like other ones too. So do you guys play on the same server?

Top Bottom