Never Forget

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Another year, another moment to reflect on the slow death that we've condemned ourselves to.

I don't regret any of my choices regarding this community. Do you?

Chickenspleen

All things considered, I think hate is much better for bringing people together than love.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
On topic, I woke up today and I remembered 9/11. Both of them. Man, do we have anymore UREALMS 9/11 images?

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Jesus Christ Rob was dramatic
If I recall correctly, he decided on a whim and when we started making 9/11 jokes - he immediately regretted the decision and asked us to not do it. At that point, the forums were forsaken so we started spamming them.

13thforsworn

Is that the date the original forum went down?
Not quite. It was the day he announced he was removing a lot of the community bits of the forums (like the Off Topic section, Foolishness and Fun, etc), and reorganized it into a place to exclusively talk about his video content and UQ game/Minecraft mod development (Dwarves vs Zombies was the one he was working on at the time IIRC). He left the RP section up too, but at that point, it was basically an eviction notice for us misfits. Then came all the 9/11 jokes, which like Jeroth said, he immediately regretted the day he had accidentally chosen.

The forums were actually up for a year or two after that, but basically nobody posted on them except a couple RPers and the odd question here and there about DvZ and UR/UQ. I would pop in once every 2-3 months to clean up all the spam and approve new users. Eventually though, he straight up took them down and redirected the URL to his UQ development log Tumblr page. Now it redirects to the UR Live countdown page.

I still have the moderator control panel page bookmarked, even though it goes to a 404 page. For old times' sake. :'(

Last edited:

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
He left the RP section up too, but at that point, it was basically an eviction notice for us misfits.
While he left the RP boards up, at the time he claimed that they would be closed, as well. Everyone evacuated fast as fuck, so he ended up with RP boards that were fucking trash.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
I remember the mad scramble to save all memorable threads before they were lost forever. Even then, only so much could be reserved. Years of history of hundreds of individuals, wiped out in an instant..

Steal Thy Kill

I remember the mad scramble to save all memorable threads before they were lost forever. Even then, only so much could be reserved. Years of history of hundreds of individuals, wiped out in an instant..
Yeah, but that was hardly the first time that happened. Rob killed and restarted the forums every couple of years (the final vbulletin edition was at least the third incarnation of the UR forums).

It's just that Rob finally recognized that he hated (and was shit at) being a community manager. So his options were throwing up a few modmins to do it for him, or scrap the forums entirely. One of these options worked. The other is what he wound up doing after he fucked the first one up.

Top Bottom