Never Forget

Walrus

We made a lifeboat that day. It was no ordinary lifeboat. It was a skype call that we all crammed ourselves onto. I remember bravely clicking on the names of various forum goers and clicking "add to call." I remember our outcries and efforts to find the skype usernames of beloved forumers before they were lost forever. I remember how from that lifeboat we sailed forth to a new salvation, a new sea of troubles...

Never forget.

Last edited:

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
We made a lifeboat that day. It was no ordinary lifeboat. It was a skype call that we all crammed ourselves onto. I remember bravely clicking on the names of various forum goers and clicking "add to call." I remember our outcries and efforts to find the skype usernames of beloved forumers before they were lost forever. I remember how from that lifeboat we saved forth to a new salvation, a new sea of troubles...

Never forget.
The URtanic sank that day.

Firedemon

Eventually though, he straight up took them down and redirected the URL to his UQ development log Tumblr page. Now it redirects to the UR Live countdown page.

I still have the moderator control panel page bookmarked, even though it goes to a 404 page. For old times' sake. :'(
Should I or should I not bring up how this was actually Dunsparce's fault?

Tag_Ross

Should I or should I not bring up how this was actually Dunsparce's fault?
No, he's the reason Rob closed the entire forum, we had already left, apparently the blame for the closing of the"non essential" boards landed on tropag, reaprar, and myself.

Dunsparce

He intentionally misinterpreted what I said and used it as a flimsy excuse to close the forum, which he admitted he wanted to do anyway. The funny thing is, the main thrust of that post of mine was actually that he had convinced me to his side. I basically said "Alright, I believe you, but if your lying then go die." The "go die" wasn't literal, but my way of expressing that my forgiveness is conditional. He ignored the point I was trying to make and sperged out on that last part to justify what he already wanted to do.

I'm not going to accept any blame for the forum getting shut down. I didn't force Rob to do it, he did it of his own free will. As for my poor choice of words, I actually formally apologized to him on Twitter for that (though he didn't respond, so I'm not sure he got it).

Firedemon

I think my post should not be misconstrued as an assertion that shutting down those forums was an irrational and poor choice. Rob had probably long known he really doesn't want to, and shouldn't, run a community, and I agree that he was probably going to do it anyways.

But I still blame you for teh lulz.

Requiem

And yet Rob wants to start another forum sometime soon. Since I donated a dollar to the UQ Kickstarter, I get the emails and updates when he does actually make them.

So, not only has he changed the art style of the game, he's taken out the character creation aspect of the game entirely. He's now making the playable characters be ones you recognize from the show, which he's rebooting as well. Instead of making your own character, you play as Schmoopy, Roamin, etc.

That's two drastic changes to the game because he can't make his mind up. I'm cool with him being successful still and making neat things besides UQ and that he's dedicated to UQ despite doing all of that, but as a customer, if I had donated more than $1 to the Kickstarter, I'd be a little more than angry at this point. That doesn't take into account the amount of time it's taken him to get to this point, let alone the release of the game being left behind light-years back down the road. If the game comes out at all looking like what was originally pitched, I'll be surprised.

Not to mention Danny talking about how the game was originally just him and Rob working on it and it was meant to be a simple Pokémon style game with the UR lore and content behind it, but then it got scrapped entirely.

But if Rob wants to keep trying to make a game he's literally spent years on just trying to figure out the basics, all while creating another community when he's had enough examples of why he should never run a community again (in regards to his own personal health) and while his other projects are being developed just fine without trouble and are actually real cool, then alright, I guess.

Oh and, #bigpost

13thforsworn

I imagine the art style change has to do with his lead art director designer person leaving he project? And by leaving the project, I mean his wife Kitten/Sugar/Krysta divorcing him. I suppose that might be reasonable but obviously unfortunate compromise?

Requiem

Nah, his reasoning is that the original art style was too difficult to animate because it involved too many moving pieces. Being that as it may, whatever the reason is, as a consumer (and again, with the stipulation that I hypothetically donated more than I actually did) I wouldn't like to know that the whole entire look if the game changed after years of the game being worked on. For a major project, something as drastic as the art style being changed is a big deal. While we as a community know this already, it just shows that Rob doesn't keep to his word or in the least that he shouldn't talk about what his plans are. He's just gonna change them within 6 months anyways.

Walrus

Rob should start off with a simple UQ board game. It's much easier and faster to prototype a board game (I try to get my prototypes up within a week of the game idea; sometimes I can do it the same day if it's simple enough) and if the prototype ends up not being pursued further (e.g. wasn't fun enough; wasn't inspiring enough; want to scrap everything and try something new) you still have a fully functioning prototype to share with your fans in a print and play format instead of useless scraps.

I'd print out and play a simple Unforgotten Quest board game.

(to be a bit more objective: Making a simple UQ video game demo is also feasible. Print and play board games are more feasible, though.)

Salsy

Rob should start off with a simple UQ board game. It's much easier and faster to prototype a board game (I try to get my prototypes up within a week of the game idea; sometimes I can do it the same day if it's simple enough) and if the prototype ends up not being pursued further (e.g. wasn't fun enough; wasn't inspiring enough; want to scrap everything and try something new) you still have a fully functioning prototype to share with your fans in a print and play format instead of useless scraps.

I'd print out and play a simple Unforgotten Quest board game.

(to be a bit more objective: Making a simple UQ video game demo is also feasible. Print and play board games are more feasible, though.)
Doesn't he have one? Last I heard that's what he does now.

Salsy

Walrus

Doesn't he have one? Last I heard that's what he does now.
You're right because UR Live. I forgot about that (I haven't been following Rob very much). I was thinking more of a traditional one-off competitive game in the UR universe when I made the comment, but Rob's roleplaying thing is technically still a UR board game and a really good place to start.

Top Bottom