NHL Hockey Talk

The Hound

Just Monika
Babcock has won 3 Stanley Cups. I would think they'd give him the time to make a quality squad before they do anything rash.
True, but that doesn't mean that much in the sports world these days, it's all about what have you done for me recently. Good example would be the Chicago Cubs, they hired a few years back a GM by the name of Theo Epstein and all he had done prior was build two World Series Champions with the Boston Red Sox (You know the other team like the Cubs that had 80+ years of futility and curses). Well he came to Chicago and basically did a fire sale, he got rid of all the players of any value for young prospects. He did this for a few years, anytime someone had value he'd flip them for prospects, and the fans began to turn on him, calling for his job, wanting him fired. It took 4 years and now finally the team is coming together, but only because the owner of the team ignored all the media and fan bullshit, something Toronto has struggled with.

We'll have to see and obviously baseball is very different than Hockey, you don't need to stockpile as much and the turn around time can be a lot shorter since 3-4 players and good coaching can turn around a team fast and they definitely do have the coaching now.

I just hope Leaf fans don't expect to compete right away.

Shadow

Banned
but only because the owner of the team ignored all the media and fan bullshit, something Toronto has struggled with.
Toronto's problem is that MLSE is jointly owned by Rogers and Bell, who heavily rely on the fanbase as their source of income (more so than every other franchise), and as such will give the fans literally anything that they ask for in order to keep them watching their crappy hockey.

Case in point. The fans wanted Dion Phaneuf. The fans got Dion Phaneuf. The fans wanted Nonis fired. The fans got Nonis fired.

The fans wanted Babcock. The fans got Babcock.

In a couple years, after the fans lose patience and demand that Babcock be fired because nothing has changed and the Leafs still suck because they're trying to rebuild the team from the ground up and that's not something that can be done overnight, the fans will get Babcock fired because nothing has changed and the Leafs still suck because they're trying to rebuild the team from the ground up and that's not something that can be done overnight.

Last edited:

Shadow

Banned
The only reason I wanted Chicago to win the Western Final is because the thought of Kesler winning a cup is literally worse than Hitler.

Now I can go back to hating them.

The Hound

Just Monika
I guess I don't care who wins, all the teams I hate were eliminated. The only reason I wouldn't want the Bolts to win is I hate when teams from places where Ice doesn't form naturally win the cup. As for the Hawks I hate how stupid Chicago fans are, this city is literally the biggest bandwagon city ever, so I'd hate for them to get another cup.

I guess I'll just root for Stamkos.

The Hound

Just Monika
Seriously, what awful luck.

Now that Toronto has shed all that dead weight I could see them competing again as soon as next year, unlike the long term rebuilds of the Sabres or Oilers.

13thforsworn

Now that Toronto has shed all that dead weight I could see them competing again as soon as next year, unlike the long term rebuilds of the Sabres or Oilers.
Wow, that's really optimistic, but I'll be thrilled if you're right. Who are their goal scorers? You know you have a problem when your aggressive third/fourth line forechecker is your top goal scorer ('m talking about Leo Kamaorv).

The Hound

Just Monika
I guess I just like the base team the Maple Leafs have over what Buffalo or the Oilers had. Pretty much set at goalie, losing Dion automatically made the defense better, I still think with the right pieces around them and coaching Bozak, Kadri, and JVR can be more than competent goal scorers. Draft defense (or if there's just a fucking superstar sitting there take that) sign a few forwards and this team could fight for a bottom playoff spot.

It's just going to really depend on their goal, and whether they want to spend this offseason or if they're going to keep unloading guys. Which they might do, considering my optimism only extends to them competeting for a playoff spot and that might not be enough for the Maple Leaf Organization (though they should be happy with any positive success).

The Hound

Just Monika
So much Hockey stupid going on in the NHL and the Bruins can't find anyone willing to trade with them. Incredibly frustrating.

13thforsworn

PK SUBBAN FOR SHEA WEBER?! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?

I AM SO FUCKING SALTY, THEY CHOSE A SHIT COACH OVER AN ELITE ALL-STAR DEFENCEMAN. SO FUCKING BRAIN DEAD.

The Hound

Just Monika
It just boggles the mind, considering the Bruins were offering both their first round picks that teams would rather take Shea Weber who's several years older than PK, produces less than PK, and is signed until his year 40. Or the Oilers trading Hall for Larsson which great, Larsson should be decent but he's projected at best to be a 2nd line D-man, Fucking Chiarelli couldn't have helped his old team out? Plus what a moron he is considering he's traded both the top picks in the 2010 draft, lets hope the Hall trade burns him as much as the Seguin deal did.

I just can't believe with those trades happening that teams during the draft were asking for draft picks AND Pastrnak, it's just pathetic. 1 first round pick let alone 2 is better value than what the Habs got for Subban, just absolutely stupid on their part.

Shadow

Banned
Wait...

Edmonton drafted Jesse Puljujärvi fourth overall this year, which means they probably want him to play on their top line at some point in the future.

So let me get this straight. They're going to have Hockey Jesus as their center, a Finnish right winger, and a hulking left winger whose main job is to beat the crap out of people.

Why does that sound familiar...

13thforsworn

The Leafs didn't make it easy for themselves. Once they were within one game of clinching the last playoff spot available, they went 1 in 4. And look how their rivals did.

Oh well, they're in, so that's all that matters.

Top Bottom