The Walking Dead

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
My thoughts on the utterly fantastic most recent episode.

The Carol cold opening was fantastic.

Carol placing a cookie by Sam's grave was fan-freaking-tastic.

Carol ruining my CarolxDaryl ship, was not okay.

Falsifying Gregory's head was fantastic. Too bad they didn't just kill him for being the worst.

Abraham being a dick wasn't cool.

Eugene talking about cookies after witnessing the Abraham/Rosita split, was hilarious.

Glenn losing his innocence, and temporarily relieving Heath of losing his, was fantastic and tense.

Glenn and Heath barricading themselves in the armory and blowing everyone to pieces, was horrific and fantastic.

The horrific foreshadowing of (presumably) Negan's victims was fantastic, and genuinely scary.

Carol caring so much for Maggie and her baby was very touching, and I like seeing Carol's more rare soft side.

Carol walking up to Old Testament Rick Grimes and calling him out for being laissez faire about Maggie's presence on the battlefield, was fantastic. Rick just being like, "hmm, okay" within five seconds is the greatest success anyone has ever had in convincing Rick of literally anything ever.

Daryl getting his motorcycle back was hilarious and so much fan-service.

Father Gabriel going all Father Grigori and executing a man while quoting scripture, was perhaps my favorite moment of the episode. Definitely the best moment for his character thus far.

A flawless victory being interrupted by the kidnapping of literally the two strongest female leads on the show, was great cliffhanger bait.

The music was also spot on the entire episode.

All in all an incredibly strong episode. We saw our group of "heroes" perform a carefully organized, systemic murder plot which centered on sleep-executing people they've never met. Very few episodes of the show have managed to include solid character development, quiet tense moments, loud scary moments, laugh out loud humor, serious moral reflection, and strong plot advancement all in one refined, complete package.

This is likely my favorite episode of the season, and a competitor for all-time favorite.

What'd you guys think?

Firedemon

I personally was not okay with the scene of not Caryl/Darol. But, recalling how Ressie/Jick lead to Richonne, I'm now accepting it.

The realization that Glenn is one of the few characters who STILL hadn't killed a living person was interesting to think about symbolically, then the realization that this is no longer the case was somewhat saddening.

The foreshadowing of Morgan building a new prison at the end was rather interesting. I have this sneaking suspicion he's actually going to try to imprison Carol or Rick, but that seems absurd. There's no way he'd be able to do it, so it probably is for any hypothetical murderous individuals he encounters.

I swear to god if they kill Carol or Maggie, there will be riots in the streets and I will lead them. I suspect Maggie will have baby armor at least, since they've already shown themselves unwilling to actually kill a baby.
I say this because in the comic Judith actually died all the way back at the prison, during one of the Governor's attacks

Requiem

Lori deserved to die and Andrea was just a failure despite being a good person in the end. She and Michonne should have had more time together, at least on screen, but c'est la vie.

Though I should really start watching this season.

Colonel Thunder

Recent episode was good, but definitely a more slow-paced character development-y one.

I'd love to see an alternate version of the initial radio call though.

"Put down your weapons!"

"Um, no?"

"You better. We have a Carol and a Maggie."

"Okay, let's talk. There's no need...wait did you say Carol?"

"Yes."

"You kidnapped Carol?"

"Yes. And we'll kill her if y-"

*Rick Grimes and his entire group laughs for over a minute*

"Hey! We're holding her hostage! This is serious, we're not afraid to kill her!"

"HAHAHA, YOU KIDNAPPED CAAAAAROL? GOOD LUCK YOU SONS OF BITCHES! HAHAHAHAHA!"

Firedemon

So Carol seems to be trying to turn over a new leaf; I suspect because of her conflict with Morgan and the death of that stupid kid. We now know what those numbers were that she was writing down.

Also, the Caryl/Darol hug at the end. QUIT TEASING US YOU FUCKING WRITERS

I can't quite figure out what's gotten into Maggie and why she's so bloodthirsty.

Also, Negan is an ideology I see. And Rick decided to kill who he thought was Negan rather than interrogate him to make sure they didn't miss anything. Dammit Rick. And Carol didn't say "Wait, Rick, no, they're all Negan. That's not what he means!" Dammit Carol.

Firedemon

So, was anyone else a little surprised by Carol actually leaving and how suddenly Carol went full Morgan? I guess we're going to be seeing Morgan out looking for her to teach her his ways of subduing enemies but not killing them.

Also, was Dwayne's face fucked up before? I don't remember anything happening to his face.

Colonel Thunder

Carol going full Morgan might be some awesome character development, but if it results in the death of, well, any characters I like I won't like it. Carol is arguably the strongest character on the show, and I'd hate to see the writers ruin all they've done with her.

Dwight's face was not originally messed up. It's actually an interesting story point I'm hoping they'll approach before long. I actually really like the comic version of Dwight, but so far I'm hating his interpretation in the show. He's not a poorly done character, I just don't like him so far.

Also, I'm very relieved they only killed whats-her-name annoying doctor lady that nobody liked. Her death scene/Dwight's reintroduction is straight out of the comics, only a much more beloved character gets arrow'd in the face. I'm happy it means that they get at least a little bit more screen time.

Also, have some memes.

Top Bottom