TV: Game of Thrones

AndyM03

take all the Dorne screen time we wasted.
put into kingsmoot/anything.
Show now 100% better.
The Hold the Door didn't seem like a cop out to me, I liked it a lot, and it truly made Hodor such a tragic character. His entire life he had one destiny because Bran forced him to, which is fucked in a way in how he was such a good and loyal servant to the Starks and a fan favourite. Utter tragedy.
The entire series is just 'Local man ruins everything' ft. Bran Stark.

Requiem

Which is wrapped in the news headline, "Local man floods earth with fans' tasty, tasty tears" ft. GRRM.

Firedemon

So over the last... Week and a half(ish?) I've watched all of Game of Thrones to date for the first time.

I think I might be a heartless bastard; everyone made me think this was supposed to be painful. Jon Snow betraying Ygritte and her death shortly after got me right in the feels, but that was about it. Daenerys smothering Kahl Drogo gave me a smidgen of feels. Maybe everyone just hyped the depression too much for me.

The Hound

Just Monika
I have to say out of any other show I've seen GoT is the one I'd say hits harder when you have to wait a whole week/season for it. That being said only the most sensitive nancies are really freaking out about Hodor and unless you were completely not expecting JS to die that could have been a moment (until he was rezzed), but for the most part it's just people overreacting to a show that actually kills main characters. The books gives a lot of backstory to some of the people who died so that helps make the connection that show fails at, so like for me someone like Ser Barristan Selmy dying had a big impact but nobody who only watched the show would care that an old man died.

I haven't changed my mind on not liking the Hold the Door thing but seeing people put Hodor stickers in elevators has warmed my cold heart a bit.

Edit: So I just saw this but someone pointed out that Bran's dire wolf Summer died, so winter is most definitely coming.

Last edited:

The Hound

Just Monika
I'm shocked that you only took 5-12 hours breaks for that, I've never tried to get into one of those games but I've heard they can be more addicting and time consuming than Civ and that scares me.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
So over the last... Week and a half(ish?) I've watched all of Game of Thrones to date for the first time.

I think I might be a heartless bastard; everyone made me think this was supposed to be painful. Jon Snow betraying Ygritte and her death shortly after got me right in the feels, but that was about it. Daenerys smothering Kahl Drogo gave me a smidgen of feels. Maybe everyone just hyped the depression too much for me.
Not even giving a fuck about the Young Wolf getting murdered. What kind of horrible monstrosity are you?

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
That being said only the most sensitive nancies are really freaking out about Hodor
Man. Hodor was the best. I was more freaking out since when had a tragic death. The man was traumatized and his entire purpose was to die holding a door.

I didn't care for Ygritte dying. I was upset with Selmy dying, but that was expected

Easy

Right Honorable Justice

AndyM03

Not even giving a fuck about the Young Wolf getting murdered. What kind of horrible monstrosity are you?
Yeah fuck you Firedemon you absolute bastard.
THE KING IN THE NORTH is an all time favourite scene of mine. Robb was an amazing character and did so well. Gets shit on too much by people.

The Hound

Just Monika
I wasn't terribly moved when Robb died, honestly was never a fan. Though I've noticed the characters I like differ from most, a good example is I was more upset when Tywin died than Robb.

Edit: Also as emotional as Robb's death could have been, it was balanced out by my joy that Catelyn Stark died too.

The Hound

Just Monika
Good shows need good bad guys, and Tywin was as slick as they come. He struck fear in his enemies with cunning and being a ruthless tactician, and unlike bad guys like Joffrey or Ramsey he wasn't crazy, he was logical. Mind you I said upset, not sad. It upset me losing a badass but no I didn't cry over Tywin.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Dunno if I'd necessarily call Tywin a bad guy. Every bad thing he's done, he's done either to protect his family, or to save huge amounts of lives.

TimTh33nchant3r

Dunno if I'd necessarily call Tywin a bad guy. Every bad thing he's done, he's done either to protect his family, or to save huge amounts of lives.
You say protect his family, others say enrich at the cost of the known world. On the other hand, it's not like the political clime was particularly conducive to living for pretty much anyone in Westeros even without him putting his daughter on the throne in an attempt to gain power. Let's be honest, Cersei was kind of awful as a ruler. Great backstabber, poor ruler. And how he handled Tyrion was pretty wasteful, though there wasn't a lot to be done there. Tyrion wanted to do his own thing for his family, Tywin wanted absolute control over the whole shebang, they butted heads, and we all know how that ended. His motivations might have been only semi-selfish since they largely centered around the preservation of his line, but good motivations make not a good individual. The road to hell, and all that.

Eh. Tomato, potato.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Certainly he preferred his own management to Tyrion's, but he also far preferred Tyrion's to Cersei's, and made a point of taking away her power wherever he could. Which should have been clear from when he sent Tyrion down there to put her in check after Robert died, since he had to stay behind and run the war effort himself.

Requiem

Tywin wasn't a terrible person. He's pretty much the greyest character out of them all. I think he never intended Tyrion to ever have a chance of death during his trial and that even if he had no love for his son, he wanted to do what he could to settle everything to do with Joffrey's death and move on since I'm sure he saw the King's death as an overall positive thing for the kingdom. We'll never know what with the trial by combat and everything.

While his goals were mainly focused on protecting his family line and he was no good man, he was also wise. He didn't want to hurt anyone, he never seemed the villainous, evil type. He's not a Bolton running around raping and flaying people alive. He wasn't necessarily a fan of the people, but he wasn't their enemy either. He didn't even really want to be king for his own sake, but to bring peace to the seven kingdoms and get everything calm and normal again. There were dozens of ways he could have done that without putting the Lannisters at the top of the food chain, after all, but that is one of his downfalls, of course. Was it possible for the Lannisters to be the leaders of the free worlds and reunite the seven kingdoms in peace? Definitely, but that more or less didn't/isn't going to happen due to things that were out of Tywin's control.

Is he a bad guy? Not so much. Is he a good guy? Definitely not. Did he have overall good intentions for mostly everyone? I think so. In whatever "right" way there is to be selfish, that was Tywin Lannister.

Top Bottom