TV: Game of Thrones

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Haven't watched it yet because season five totally killed my enthusiasm for the show, but I came in here to express that apathy.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
It was a pretty shit episode, honestly.
The only exciting part is Onion Knight right now. Jon Snow will probably be resurrected by Melissandre. It's hard to find characters to like after Stannis "died"[Off-screen and not confirmed] and Tywin died.

Whitetiger

Davos said something about the other night's watch guys aren't the only ones who owe Jon their life or some shit. What did he mean about that? I don't remember him and Jon interacting at all except when negotiating about Stannis. Did I just mishear him or something? Why the fuck is he so loyal to Jon in the show? They don't even meet in the books.

Requiem

Davos said something about the other night's watch guys aren't the only ones who owe Jon their life or some shit. What did he mean about that? I don't remember him and Jon interacting at all except when negotiating about Stannis. Did I just mishear him or something? Why the fuck is he so loyal to Jon in the show? They don't even meet in the books.
You know that big thing Jon did? The thing Thorne mentions when he admits he killed Jon? How Jon let a lot of Wildlings through the gates? I'd say those people owe him their lives.

The Hound

Just Monika
My thought Whitetiger was that Davos meant the Wildlings, they owe Jon a ton (now my memory is blurring because I know what he did for them in the book, and I can't offhand remember how much he's did for them in the show), and I could see that as just desserts for Thorne as what he wanted to avoid the ruin of the Nights Watch and that would probably guarantee it. As for Davos suddenly being Jon's best buddy, I don't know I feel like the show was like shit we have these people here and these people here, we'll now they're allies.

Other thoughts: So now Brienne is a fucking killing machine? That was just silly, even if those are the worst men of the Dreadfort that's just fucking embarrassing. Also love how the dogs just completely fucked off, because you know dogs do that when they see their masters killed.

They need to make up their mind on how Meereen and the surrounding area look, on one hand grassy fields and one minute later complete red desert. Also I'm calling bullshit on Jorah finding her ring that seems really unlikely and really contrived.

I have more thoughts but hold off for now.

Requiem

I wouldn't say it's loyalty to Jon. It's just that Jon was smart and sensible, rightfully made Lord Commander, and Davos knew that. Jon at least had a reputation at Castle Black and Davos did deal with Jon at least for a little while at the end of last season. He knows who Jon was at least and he knows Jon was better than Thorne, considering the dude got a group of men together to stab Jon to death when he least expected it.

As for Melisandre not telling Davos about Stannis, she doesn't necessarily know that he's dead. It's extremely reasonable to guess it and anyone at Castle Black could do that, but they don't know fully. Besides, it is what it is. Davos loved the Princess and Stannis allowed her to be killed. That was enough "shit went down, just so you know" stuff that I don't really also need her to tell Davos that Stannis is dead.

As for Brienne being a killing machine, she gave as good as she got when saving Sansa. She didn't kill all of the dudes even. Pod got a kill in, same as Theon. I don't think that was too unbelievable.

Whitetiger

That fight was pure bullshit. Brienne fell off her horse and no longer had like any chance of killing the rest of the dudes so for some fucking reason they step off their horses to make it a fair fight.

Requiem

As for Jorah finding the ring, that's not contrived at all. Danny dropped the ring, then the Dothraki circled her on hundreds of horses. Walk to the center of that circle, bam, there you go. Plus, getting there wouldn't be hard to explain. Drogon had to have left a trail since his nest seemed pretty well lived in. Ask the locals if a big ass dragon landed nearby, you'll find the thing pretty easily, lol.

As for Meereen being desert or being green, only the area where Danny landed and was taken was green. It's not impossible for that to happen.

And I'm not sure we even saw the same fight, Whitetiger. Brienne fell off her horse, yes, but she jumped up at a guy while he was on his own horse, knocked him off, slit his throat, then Pod knocked a guy off a horse, stabbed him, then almost got killed by a soldier who was already on the ground. There were a handful of those.

The only bullshit part of the fight was what Bob mentioned, the dogs running away. That shouldn't have happened.

Requiem

Went back and watched the scene again. Only one guy gets off his horse to fight Brienne, and yeah, it's pretty silly, but considering they identify her as a woman right as she's riding up, then see her get knocked down, and then he boots her in the face after getting off his horse, it's not unlikely that he thought he had the fight in the bag. We've seen Brienne get underestimated often which is kinda her thing as a female fighter in this world.

He shouldn't have gotten off his horse, but it's not hard to see why he might have chosen to. He was a random jobber who made a random jobber mistake as random jobbers are wont to do.

The Hound

Just Monika
I still can't get past the dogs running away, that just wouldn't happen. The second Brienne went down she should have had two snarling pups at her throat.

The reason it's looks contrived that Jorah found the ring is because they didn't animate the land as if 1,000 horses rode over it, they rendered it as a lush field of green thus making it feel like "what the fuck there's no way he finds that in a million fucking years, I lose my damn phone in the couch and he's finding barely shining rings in lush fucking wilderness."

Also more what I mean is in the book it really hammered home about this great desert expanse and I'm just feeling like the general land area doesn't make much sense, or at least seems kind of extreme. I have to go look at a map of it all because it my head it isn't adding up, I just mention it to see if anyone else noticed.

Requiem

It looked pretty clear on my big TV that there was a massive circle of torn up grass around a smooth patch of grass where Dany was standing. That was definitely pretty clear.

13thforsworn

The episode was completely fine, not sure why people were saying it was shit. We saw a lot of storylines reach a neat hiatus point at the end of season 5 and this episodes establishes a continuation of these storylines. It's not a Purple Wedding season opener, but I think it was fine the way it was.

Dogs: Ya, I agree with everyone else that it was pretty bullshit that they just ran off, but I'm not to upset by it. Just because they kill shit doesn't mean they're fearless. They could conceivably run off out of fear of giant thundering horses. The dogs were trained to fuck up people, not animals larger than them, or so it seems. And I don't think they were necessarily particularly loyal to those soldiers. They're probably not the handlers, just the guys who use them time to time to catch shit. In any case, it's not really a big deal in my opinion.

The ring: I also don't have a problem with this. It was really really clear that the Dothraki had circled an area because of the trampled grass, which brings attention to the spot they surrounded. He would be looking for clues as to what they had stopped for, and he found one. It moves the plot along, and it's not too far fetched. I once lost a pocket knife and went searching for it in the field I dropped it in at 2 am. I found it by fucking stepping on it. What were the chances of that? Slimmer than finding that ring. At least he had a "HEY LOOK OVER HERE" circle of grass to inspect.

Old hag Millesandre: Fastest boner kill of life.

Oberyn's brother getting assassinated: Fuck that bitch. Fuck her. She has NO RIGHT to go on this revenge tirade. Oberyn made the choice to fight, and got himself killed like a fucking moron. That's not the Lannisters' fault, that's his fault. Then she kills and innocent young girl, followed by her lover's brother. Fuck her.

There were a couple of jokes that were quite good. After the Sand Snakes kill the prince of Dorne, the greedy bitch line cracked me up. Also, the Khal and his men arguing over what was better than seeing a girl naked for the first time. Some comic relief in an overall tense show is fantastic.

/inb4 Rocky montage of Arya becoming the greatest blind fighter that ever was

Steal Thy Kill

There was a fucking crop circle within walking distance of Drogon's latest nest. Finding that is not exactly a huge stretch of the imagination.

I like how there was kindof a recurring theme this episode of "what do you do with your dead" and dealing with the dead of last season's finale. The immediate claiming of Jon's body at Castle Black. Ramsay on feeding Myranda's fine-ass corpse to the dogs. Jaime and Cersei discussing what happens to a corpse after death in relation to their mother and their daughter. It's a solid "feast for crows" feel.

Overall the episode was a lot of table setting, but the season openers usually are, and this one did a good job of it.

And jesus fucking christ, did the gratuitous nudity backfire on us or what?

Requiem

that'smyfetish.png

And yeah, this was a table setting episode, season premieres usually are. Davos and Jon's friends bro-ing it up and the tense build up of a coming fight between them and the Night's Watch, plus the possible raiding from the Wildlings. Got me salivating over here.

Dany getting thrust back into Dothraki culture is great since she lost pretty much all of her Dothraki people over the years. She gets back to her roots, though they are secondary still to her Targaryen roots.

Sansa and Brienne FINALLY making their oaths to one another, Pod getting a kill, Theon becoming Theon again (though with a few bits less).

Then Jaime being a fucking boss saying "We're gonna kill everyone. Literally everyone." Jaime doesn't give a fuck, they're gonna take their zombie Mountain and smash him down on top of anyone who gets in their way, even if that includes the King (who, I'm guessing, isn't even the King anymore and was deposed by some fuckboy while Jaime and Cersei were away). It's weird how Tommen being a good character, morally, makes me root for Cersei even a little bit, but really I just wanna see King's Landing implode on itself with Holy Righteous Fury, taking the rest of the Lannisters with it. Except maybe Jaime. Maybe.

And then Dorne being Dorne. That can't end well and that whole kingdom is gonna go up in smokes for sure.

Like, I get it, we didn't see Jon fully finished, he wasn't buried or burned, he wasn't resurrected, Melisandre is an old wrinkly hag witch, and there wasn't a massive, exciting battle or some shit, but for a quiet episode, this wasn't bad at all. You've gotta appreciate the small brush strokes as much as the broad ones.

Top Bottom