TV: Game of Thrones

Bryaugh

Unknown
As much as I hated them, I'm still confused as to where the hell the Ironborn went... did they write them out of the TV series at some point that I missed, or are they planning to bring them back in later? There was no need whatsoever for them to catch up with the books yet, there is SO much decent content that they've scrapped. And what the hell with those missing characters??? I thought they would have been pretty important.

Also, Easy, what do you mean about chapters on the web? Is he releasing them online?

Tag_Ross

I recall they said the ironborn would be back in the next season, which means they'll probably be completely different from the books, what with Balon still alive (even though he should have died before Robb) and the Damphair was already written out of his season 2 scenes.

As for the missing characters, D&D decided to shaft Dorne, it's really hard not to talk about what they fucked up in Dorne without posting a huge wall, you're just better off reading the series to understand how disappointed the book readers are.

Great characters removed, entire arcs fucked, new characters that don't make sense, the inclusion of characters that were great in the books but having everything that made them great removed, and this is just Dorne.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Also, Easy, what do you mean about chapters on the web? Is he releasing them online?
GRRM has released chapters online from the POV's of Sansa (Alayne), Theon, Barristan the BAMF, and Arianne of Dorne. There may also be others that I've missed.

Bryaugh

Unknown
I did read the books, but it was last summer and the TV series story lines have pushed a lot of it out of my head since. I can remember most of what happened in Dorne (that's a HELL of a lot of story and characters sacrificed there), but I don't remember where Sansa's supposed to be right now (I thought she was still with Littlefinger?) and I really can't remember what Jaime ended up doing, aside from spending a lot of time trying to learn to fight with his left hand. Nearly time to read them again, I think. And awesome, I'm definitely going to hunt those new chapters down then.

But yeah, everything's fucked. Since they've been told how it ends I can only assume it's going to come back around to the right place, but at this point the story seems to be barely recognisable any more. Do you reckon Tyrion's missing river companions are still going to make an appearance somewhere? It'll be really weird if they don't.

Tag_Ross

At the end of book five she was where she was at in the first episode of season five.
Jaime went to stabilize the riverlands instead of going to Dorne.

Honestly, I really hope the show doesn't go back around to the book ending, same with the river boys. The story has already changed too much for it to make sense, plus I wouldn't want the book ending to be spoiled by this pile.

The Hound

Just Monika
So I just got done reading the first book, lots of random thoughts about it but yea I can't wait to continue reading them. One thing that I can't get out of my mind but holy fuck is the Eyrie retarded, I mean the design. Yea great nobody will ever take your castle but the amount of effort just to maintain a place up on top of a fucking mountain is just not worth it. The show didn't do it justice how ridiculous it is.

Last edited:

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I'm not sure I'd entirely agree. It would be another thing if the Eyrie could be infiltrated or besieged into submission, but since I understand that it's also got a warm-water port on the other side of the mountain from the only road of access, it seems to me that you need both a much badder army and a much badder navy to take on the Vale. Mind you, the Vale lords besieged it with no problem in the latest book/season, but if I recall correctly that's only because one of them (Duskwood?) also controlled the seaport.

Sure, it's a whole bunch of inconvenience to maintain... but arguably less inconvenient than going to war, or having your castle sacked, every now and then. So far in the War of Five Kings, the death toll has been minimal in the Vale and devastating everywhere else, mostly thanks to the build and strategic location of the Eyrie. My only other concern regarding the castle would be: How many peasants can it hold? If you can't shelter your subjects there, then I'd have to agree that a castle like that just isn't worth it. Army comes in by sea or land that's stronger than yours, you run back to your unassailable castle, they slaughter all your townsfolk... well congrats, you lose. Enjoy your next couple generations of financial decline and civil unrest, due to not having any people around to make money for you anymore (and/or being generally pissed off at you for what happened to the others).

The Hound

Just Monika
Your second paragraph was basically exactly what I was talking about, because you're right in a place like Westeros having a near impenetrable fortress is important since war is a near constant possibility but if it's so ridiculous it makes maintaining supply lines brutal I just see it being worth it. I mean there's literally no reason to try and scale the mountain, just slaughter all the villagers and then sit back and wait for the people on top to starve. Though it's hard to tell exactly how defended the people at the bottom are, I saw walls and I'm sure most of the army is stationed down there (especially since they've been completely not involved in anything).

All that being said one of my favorite additional tidbits that the book had that the show doesn't is the in depth discussion of the features and defenses of the castles. Like it was really interesting hearing how Riverrun can flood the area around the castle and basically turn it into an island.

13thforsworn

All that being said one of my favorite additional tidbits that the book had that the show doesn't is the in depth discussion of the features and defenses of the castles. Like it was really interesting hearing how Riverrun can flood the area around the castle and basically turn it into an island.
You've motivated me to pick up my copy of the first book and read it on the subway to work today.

The Hound

Just Monika
I just started the 5th book, absolutely loving it so much more than the show and now I'm at the point where I don't know what's going on because of the show veering off in its own direction. Let's just say I'm trying my best to pace myself until the next season comes up, but I'm doing a damn terrible job at it.

13thforsworn

So, @13thforsworn @The Hound have you gotten around to finishing any more books?

I liked 13th's Star Wars catch up thread, I'd like to hear your reactions for ASOIF
Never got around to reading the books, to be honest. Working night shifts during the summer made me a zombie. Always tired, never a lot of energy or concentration. Didn't even play Counter-Strike. Once school started up again, the only reading I did was from textbooks. I have so many books I've received as gifts and I don't think I've read any of them...

RECONmaster

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Like the meme but everybody makes nat 1 off to be that the character always dies.

As a DM I find it much more entertaining to horribly maime them and watch as he dies from their own newfound incompetence.

E.g: DM: Roll for perception.
PC: Nat 1
DM: You successfully notice the intensity of the sun and have fried your retinas for 10 turns. Oh and the bear your teammates noticed is now aiming for you. Too bad you can't see it.
:p

Maybe a little much but I revel in the misery of others.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Being brutal as fuck on natural 1s is dickish and stupid, doubly so if you're not similarly brutal toward the villains.

Also you can't critically fail skill checks.

The Hound

Just Monika
From my limited experience in playing those games nat 1's leading to death would defeat the purpose, since isn't it about having fun and light dicking over of the players because otherwise everyone would just say fuck it and not show up.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
It's still more like Oberyn got a nat 1 followed by the Mountain getting a nat 20, anyway.

The Hound

Just Monika
Just finished the 5th book, I have so much to say it's a bit overwhelming so I need more time to collect my thoughts I guess.

Top Bottom