Forumer Chat Thread

The Hound

Just Monika
Yea I know I still have to look up to you forum veterans.

Or you meant in maturity and well... Yea probably.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
On the other hand, there goes the next several weeks of anybody talking about anything actually... well, big-picture sort of important.

Firedemon

On the other hand, there goes the next several weeks of anybody talking about anything actually... well, big-picture sort of important.
I think we'll be over it in two weeks tops. But either way, this will finally kill the same-sex marriage "debate" in the long run, which is probably the best thing to happen to politics ever.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Does anyone ever actually talk about anything?
On the forums, or in general? In general, yes.
I think we'll be over it in two weeks tops. But either way, this will finally kill the same-sex marriage "debate" in the long run, which is probably the best thing to happen to politics ever.
Not even close, though I can't deny I'm happy to see the end of the "holy shit why are we even still arguing about this, just give them what they want, it's not even a big deal" of it. Let's just keep in mind that a lot more people are getting fucked, in a purely figurative sense of course, by things like money being speech, and corporations being people, and drugs being outlawed, and prisons being for rent, and policemen being above the law, and so on.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
Why in all the articles about the removal of Confederate flags the photographs always depict the flag of General Robert E. Lee not the actual flag of the Confederate States?

Firedemon

Not even close, though I can't deny I'm happy to see the end of the "holy shit why are we even still arguing about this, just give them what they want, it's not even a big deal" of it. Let's just keep in mind that a lot more people are getting fucked, in a purely figurative sense of course, by things like money being speech, and corporations being people, and drugs being outlawed, and prisons being for rent, and policemen being above the law, and so on.
Let me rephrase that to use less hyperbole. "Best thing to happen to politics until now in a long time", given that nothing particularly good has happened to politics in quite a while. Still much more important things out there, but this has finally killed something that never should have been an issue that has been distracting us from much more important things, like everything you just mentioned.

Actually, no, I completely take this back. There will always be a dumb issue that people "argue" about and we'll have a new one by the time the grumbling over gay marriage finishes. But maybe the new one will be less dumb at least and actually have a slight validity to the other side.

Why in all the articles about the removal of Confederate flags the photographs always depict the flag of General Robert E. Lee not the actual flag of the Confederate States?
Because dumb. And possibly because that flag was used in the design of two of the three actual national flags of the Confederacy.

D

Deleted member 13

Unregsistered User
Why not remove all flags from government buildings?

Flags are manipulative symbols that are used almost exclusively for the purposes of stirring up strong emotional responses, facilitating mob mentality, and disintegrating rational conversation.

Dunsparce

I agree; and while we're at it, let's ban avatars.

Avatars are manipulative symbols that are used almost exclusively for the purposes of stirring up strong emotional responses, facilitating mob mentality, and disintegrating rational conversation.

D

Deleted member 13

Unregsistered User
I never said ban flags at the individual level (nor would I ever say that a private citizen shouldn't be allowed to own and display a piece of cloth), but even if I had, it still wouldn't be the same. An avatar expresses the individuality of a particular person, while a flag is associated with a greater cause, ideology, or movement.

lrn2logic

Edit: Nice avatar, but I maintain that my argument applies to 99% of cases and that this is still entirely irrelevant to my original point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunsparce

a flag is associated with a greater cause, ideology, or movement.

lrn2logic
The only time I can think of where that's true is with some Communist countries, where the symbol of Communism is on it (or the Nordic flags, which I think have crucifixes on them, but I'm not sure that's what they are). Otherwise the flag just symbolizes its country. The Star Spangled Banner isn't symbolic of anything but the United States. The only irrational emotions it creates are in the minds of patriots and dirty Communist Muslim terrorists, who would be irrational regardless. So I don't really see why we shouldn't have symbols representing the US on US buildings.

'Sides, the flags help distinguish government buildings, making them easier to find, so there's actually a benefit to putting them up.

Top Bottom