Forumer Chat Thread

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I'll do a real mafia game if no one else is up to it. I'm not a big fan of playing myself anyways.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I know I said I'd do things before and then didn't do them, but as I'm not the Tirinnous type, know that it's not out of a lack of good-faith effort. It's just that I got a job as a quality-control chemist (basically) immediately after getting back from vacation, and it's one that since has required 1hr commutes and daily 12-hour shifts on my part. After cooking and eating food post-workday, I simply haven't had any time left over that wouldn't overlap with my sleep schedule.

Not that I haven't used any of said time for other things, (to varying degrees of regret, or lack of thereof), since then, but still.

Almost certainly gonna take a day off over the weekend, and then I'll... tour apartments nearby to my workplace, actually. And then I'll do stuff. Sociable-type stuff. Yeah. Probably.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
sacrafice
Apparently like sacrificing that "I"

I swear, if we can't do another mafia, I'm just gonna keep doing poop ones.
Do it.
I know I said I'd do things before and then didn't do them, but as I'm not the Tirinnous type, know that it's not out of a lack of good-faith effort. It's just that I got a job as a quality-control chemist (basically) immediately after getting back from vacation, and it's one that since has required 1hr commutes and daily 12-hour shifts on my part. After cooking and eating food post-workday, I simply haven't had any time left over that wouldn't overlap with my sleep schedule.
It's all good, man. I planned for more Enmity, but I've been working & vacationing. It also doesn't help that I met a cute girl who is just my type.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind

Not that I haven't used any of said time for other things, (to varying degrees of regret, or lack of thereof), since then, but still.
Yeah, yeah, when I've got an hour or two in a day to get shit done and it doesn't happen it's an indictment of my character, but when the situation's reversed it's 'cause there's no other way for it to be done. I see how it is, you Godforsaken gopnik fuck. This is like, the one time that I've got so much free time I can go hang out on weeknights even though I've got work in the morning. Of course, after looking at my new schedule it seems like the coming semester is gonna go prettymuch the same way; I finish my week on Thursday morning.

Congratulations to all you decent-job-havers out there, my time for the next four months is already effectively spent waiting for news on a grad school application that I made months ago and won't be able to start until 2018 at the earliest, if at all. I'm gonna spend that time improving my fitness further and learning economics and languages, so at least it's not a fuckin' waste.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Haha don't feel guilty at all. Congrats on the new job! Sounds intense yet rewarding I hope.
And by rewarding I mean $$$$$
Paid more per hour than a paramedic, less (I think) than a high-school teacher. Without the massive free time percentage of a paramedic or the comprehensive benefits package of a teacher, though. But at this rate, (if I (can) keep going at this rate), I'll be racking up overtime hours by the score for the next couple of weeks, and that's a lot of extra value.
It's all good, man. I planned for more Enmity, but I've been working & vacationing. It also doesn't help that I met a cute girl who is just my type.
Dammit, not again...
Yeah, yeah, when I've got an hour or two in a day to get shit done and it doesn't happen it's an indictment of my character, but when the situation's reversed it's 'cause there's no other way for it to be done. I see how it is, you Godforsaken gopnik fuck.
But I don't actually have an hour or two... 30m between waking up and leaving the house, for purposes of breakfasting/dressing/hygiene; 1hr even to get to work; 12hr, 30m to get out of work; 1hr even to get back home; 15hr total, 9hr remaining. If I wanna get a solid 8hr sleep before next shift, which I do, I've got 60m in which to cook, eat, shower, get to bed if we're assuming I'll immediately enter a deep and sound slumber the minute I've done so. (I won't.) Not exactly Mr. 'I Got Time For More EUIV Again, Though" over here.
Congratulations to all you decent-job-havers out there, my time for the next four months is already effectively spent waiting for news on a grad school application that I made months ago and won't be able to start until 2018 at the earliest, if at all. I'm gonna spend that time improving my fitness further and learning economics and languages, so at least it's not a fuckin' waste.
Neat. What languages?

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Being adults takes some getting used to. Only having an hour, maybe two a day to relax. Have a kid and you lose even that.

Heck, even I've all but abandoned forum projects in order to fulfill life responsibilities and try to pursue my dreams. You can't have it all.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
But I don't actually have an hour or two... 30m between waking up and leaving the house, for purposes of breakfasting/dressing/hygiene; 1hr even to get to work; 12hr, 30m to get out of work; 1hr even to get back home; 15hr total, 9hr remaining. If I wanna get a solid 8hr sleep before next shift, which I do, I've got 60m in which to cook, eat, shower, get to bed if we're assuming I'll immediately enter a deep and sound slumber the minute I've done so. (I won't.) Not exactly Mr. 'I Got Time For More EUIV Again, Though" over here.
Those things in bold are your problem. By rights you should be tactically bailing the fuck outta work once you're off the clock, and if you can't that pretty stupid and unreasonable on their end. And eight hours of sleep a night? I don't think I've averaged that much in years, aside from the occasional week where I'm off getting drunk for most of it.

Neat. What languages?
Currently doing French and Dutch through Duolingo, and I'm looking to study a few more Western European languages (I'm thinking German, Spanish, and Swedish) over the next year and a half; I've completed the Dutch language tree and could probably do well enough for myself to read some Dutch books without having to look up a lot of what's being discussed. After that I'd like to learn some Eastern European and Asian languages - probably Russian, Arabic, Mandarin, and Hindi, in no particular order. That said, I don't even wanna attempt to tackle that shit without a lot of practice in learning languages and better resources for doing so, since everything I've learned so far is pretty close to English.

Personally, I think learning a shitload of languages would be awesome, as well as an obviously useful skill for business, travel, and communication in general, but that's just me.

Being adults takes some getting used to. Only having an hour, maybe two a day to relax. Have a kid and you lose even that.

Heck, even I've all but abandoned forum projects in order to fulfill life responsibilities and try to pursue my dreams. You can't have it all.

Now, personally, I hope that the people here never reproduce don't have kids until they're ready for them, which seems on the whole to be nowhere remotely near the case, and until then you've always got free time 'cause you can make free time (by sacrificing other time).

And hey, at least I'll be here in the year, being super active. I haven't been as active as I'd hoped during the summer, but damn it, there's always still time.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Those things in bold are your problem. By rights you should be tactically bailing the fuck outta work once you're off the clock, and if you can't that pretty stupid and unreasonable on their end.
I'm off the clock after 12hr and 30m.
eight hours of sleep a night? I don't think I've averaged that much in years, aside from the occasional week where I'm off getting drunk for most of it.
Yeah, and - don't take this the wrong way, mate - but, you aren't exactly the picture of health. 'Course, neither am I these days - not since I hit upper-level chem courses, and traded out sleep and healthy activities for work/study and relaxing/stress-relieving activities.

Now that's done with, and I have a regular, consistent, manageable sort of life schedule again.

Getting a full night's sleep feels good, and working without one, (especially for long hours), feels awful. I'd rather not do it anymore, as I certainly no longer have to. It's not like anyone else is losing any sleep over the delay on my vacation pics/CYOA updates/what have you, so I won't prioritize such things over any sleeping time of my own. But I will prioritize them over any other regular pastimes I might engage in when next I've got the time to pass, just 'cause I've already told a bunch of long-time fellow internet personas and/or sentient memes that I'd get around to them when able.
Currently doing French and Dutch through Duolingo, and I'm looking to study a few more Western European languages (I'm thinking German, Spanish, and Swedish) over the next year and a half; I've completed the Dutch language tree and could probably do well enough for myself to read some Dutch books without having to look up a lot of what's being discussed. After that I'd like to learn some Eastern European and Asian languages - probably Russian, Arabic, Mandarin, and Hindi, in no particular order. That said, I don't even wanna attempt to tackle that shit without a lot of practice in learning languages and better resources for doing so, since everything I've learned so far is pretty close to English.
Russian's really not all that difficult - probably the single easiest Slavic language for a Westerner (or, in fact, Easterner) to learn.

You see, a few hundred years ago Peter the Great, realizing that the Mongoloid brains of his post-Golden Horde country's denizens were ill-adapted to the complexity of their traditional, (if not necessarily ancestral), Slavic tongue, went to great lengths to have the entire language simplified and standardized for the sake of greater widespread applicability within his borders. A more ambitious ruler might have also considered upgrading the alphabet to a Latinized version as well, for the extra international utility - but in all fairness to Peter, such an action would have seriously hindered his countrymen's ability to carve their letters into cave walls - the primary form of Russian literature, at the time.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I'm off the clock after 12hr and 30m.
Gross, but fair enough.

Yeah, and - don't take this the wrong way, mate - but, you aren't exactly the picture of health. 'Course, neither am I these days - not since I hit upper-level chem courses, and traded out sleep and healthy activities for work/study and relaxing/stress-relieving activities.

Now that's done with, and I have a regular, consistent, manageable sort of life schedule again.

Getting a full night's sleep feels good, and working without one, (especially for long hours), feels awful. I'd rather not do it anymore, as I certainly no longer have to. It's not like anyone else is losing any sleep over the delay on my vacation pics/CYOA updates/what have you, so I won't prioritize such things over any sleeping time of my own. But I will prioritize them over any other regular pastimes I might engage in when next I've got the time to pass, just 'cause I've already told a bunch of long-time fellow internet personas and/or sentient memes that I'd get around to them when able.
I also advocate as close to a full nights rest as possible. Everyone's different, but as for me my mood and work output are way better if I'm well rested.
Personally, I'm some kinda fucked-up sleep-hating pseudoinsomniac who functions well on six or seven hours of sleep daily and can do decently on four in a pinch (in fact, I aced a second-year physics exam after four hours of blackout drunk sleep). With any more than nine I usually find I'm about as bad off as I am on the lower end, unless I'm terribly exhausted (or intoxicated) when going to bed. An' fuck you, my health's improving noticeably, by both the judgment of myself and other people.

But fine, I get you. I'll just sit here and disparage your inferior genes, since they apparently lose out to mine on both alcohol tolerance and need for sleep.

Russian's really not all that difficult - probably the single easiest Slavic language for a Westerner (or, in fact, Easterner) to learn.
Good, 'cause it's the only one I see a lot of utility in learning - no offense, but Polish can hardly be called widely-spoken, and I've got too much self-respect to pick up anything else but Croatian (which I won't, for the same reason).

You see, a few hundred years ago Peter the Great, realizing that the Mongoloid brains of his post-Golden Horde country's denizens were ill-adapted to the complexity of their traditional, (if not necessarily ancestral), Slavic tongue, went to great lengths to have the entire language simplified and standardized for the sake of greater widespread applicability within his borders. A more ambitious ruler might have also considered upgrading the alphabet to a Latinized version as well, for the extra international utility - but in all fairness to Peter, such an action would have seriously hindered his countrymen's ability to carve their letters into cave walls - the primary form of Russian literature, at the time.
It must've felt real shitty to go be a Dutch shipbuilder for years and return to Russia, even if you're the absolute monarch. At least he did mad work and did a good enough job modernizing his shit that Russia didn't get torn apart by the Swedes.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
Dammit, not again...
Give it some time. Friends are headed back to Georgia. I have Oral Surgery next week and the week after I'm headed to the Poconos.

After then, my Fridays & Saturdays are open along with Tuesday and Thursday.

Unless my friend runs his D&D game on one of those days in which case, sorry famalam. I haven't played in ages and I'll prioritize that.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
But fine, I get you. I'll just sit here and disparage your inferior genes, since they apparently lose out to mine on both alcohol tolerance and need for sleep.
Nigga what, you can't out-drink me. Last I heard you keep trying, and always end up literally paying in blood for that overestimation of your metabolic ability.
Good, 'cause it's the only one I see a lot of utility in learning - no offense, but Polish can hardly be called widely-spoken, and I've got too much self-respect to pick up anything else but Croatian (which I won't, for the same reason).
No offense taken. Polish is a much better language than Russian for many important reasons, of course, but Russian really is much more generally useful on the international level (unless you're just about anything besides a top-tier programmer try'na take part in the very toppest tier of next-gen video game programming), and Russian really is the easiest Slavic-group language to learn, mostly due to reasons aforementioned.

Polish, while a very consistent and well-formulated language with a conveniently Latin-based alphabet, is far more complicated. Applying the new (Cyrillic) alphabet for Russian takes just a few days for an adult English native, while becoming competent in applying the several dozen extra conjugations used in Polish is a months-long process for the exceptionally talented.

Russians sound like rubes to us, especially those of us who spend some time going out of our way to learn their kind of word-speakage... but there's no denying the value of simplicity, to be honest. Phrases like "you give me ducat right fucking now, or I smashing head" may not sound very sophisticated, but can usually accomplish every bit as much as the more refined version of them can for a foreigner.

Point is... honest advice? If you're gonna learn a Slavic language, go Russian. Easiest to learn + greatest utility = best value, no contest. Russian will be even easier for you to learn than most Germanic or Romance languages, unless I miss my guess, and I'm not missing it by much either way. Once you've achieved basic competence in some Latin language and/or German, I'd begin to strongly suggest it's where you go next.
It must've felt real shitty to go be a Dutch shipbuilder for years and return to Russia, even if you're the absolute monarch. At least he did mad work and did a good enough job modernizing his shit that Russia didn't get torn apart by the Swedes.
Eh. Could by the same token say that he did a poor enough job that even with a second chance, Russia, almost got torn apart by the Swedes... but that wouldn't be fair. Ol' PTG did more than his fair share of work, all considered.
Give it some time. Friends are headed back to Georgia. I have Oral Surgery next week and the week after I'm headed to the Poconos.

After then, my Fridays & Saturdays are open along with Tuesday and Thursday.

Unless my friend runs his D&D game on one of those days in which case, sorry famalam. I haven't played in ages and I'll prioritize that.
I'm just giving you a hard time. It'll be at least another week before I'm able to commit to a timeslot myself, to be honest. I have been interested to hear updates on how we play in with your other party of buds, though - is this where that all gets dropped?

's a bummer, cause I was hella looking forward to the part where me 'n' Tirin just outplayed the shit outta those people.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
's a bummer, cause I was hella looking forward to the part where me 'n' Tirin just outplayed the shit outta those people.
Long story short, I had Joe (mostly) and a few others gripe about how I always ended it at the keep and it felt more like missions. Since then, I've been stricter on time and I'm making them go through the minimum 4-6 encounters per day. The party has been dropped 0 far more frequently and it's been 3 sessions since they were last at the keep.

On the one hand, they killed Khalavar the Foul. On the other hand, Roen is hype AF to find his son.

Requiem

Actual best thing, the guy who made the swinging for that game actually made it himself and was working on it as a side project, but when he was working on the game itself, he told them about his swinging mechanics that he was working on and they basically reshaped the whole game around this one guy's design. It's why Spiderman 2 is better than all of the other Spiderman games thus far.

Requiem

I'm not sure where I'd link you to for that. Could just Google Spiderman 2 swinging mechanics story.

Top Bottom