Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Requiem

Except it's not and twitter isn't a source. There'd be articles you could look up. Do the work and find your evidence.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
The only cannon about Kylo Ren's lightsaber is that it is based off an ancient design and the crystal is cracked giving the blade it's unstable appearance.

W1LG3RtheCyan

I remember now. It was on a recent Co-optional podcast. "The Old Republic is canon but the choices that you make in the video games are not." I forget which one, but it was in the last few weeks and I'm 90% sure that Jesse explained it.

Requiem

Jesse explaining things isn't really all that promising to me and I love the guy. I wanna hear it from the horse's mouth, Disney or Abrams. For now, The Old Republic, as I found in literally a minute's worth of research, isn't canon. It's in a grey area since the game is currently ongoing, but the generally accepted fate of TOR is that it's not canon. Since it doesn't affect anything in the "present" time period of the franchise, it's all a moot point. For all intents and purposes, the two are separated. Jesse most likely only heard something in passing or misunderstood something that someone said.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Canon_policy

Kylo ren just has a shitty baby lightsaber because he doesn't know how to properly make one. It's possible that we'll learn all of the ins and outs of how he made his saber, but for the most part, all we really know is that his saber is imperfectly created, a cheap imitation of the real thing. He's not using parts from Revan's saber because why would any writer do that. Literally only fan boys want Revan to be more involved in the overall story of the franchise. Do I want him to be more of a central figure? Hell yeah, but the truth is that he's not and that's that. No movie writer will include a video game character in the script of the next movie. They just won't because it muddies the narrative needlessly.

Revan's awesome, but leave him in the Old Republic where he belongs.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Kylo ren just has a shitty baby lightsaber because he doesn't know how to properly make one.
"Whoa Kylo! Nice lightsaber dude!"

"Uh, thanks."

"I like how it looks all unstable, like it's more powerful than a refined lightsaber."

"Yeah...that's totally what I was going for..."

"And how did you get that sweet crossguard made out of mini-sabers. That's a sick design."

"Um...it's actually not supposed to do that."

"Oh."

"Please don't tell anyone. I can barely use this thing and Hux gives me shit about it all the time."

Requiem

Haha, fair enough. I mainly meant the blade part itself, since it is in fact meant to be unstable, but I like your version of things better.

Tag_Ross

I just watched the movie Thursday night, and I loved it, it wasn't the best Star wars movie, but it was great.

The last time I cried watching a movie was when I watched finding nemo the first time. That is until that *spoiler* scene that you know I'm talking about. I had to clear my head after the movie ended so I walked home in the rain instead of taking the bus.

The only real problems I had were
how easily Rey got used to using the force and kicked Kylo Ren's ass at the end.

I liked that Kylo was a bit of a bitch when it came to his abilities. It's a nice change of pace having the villain be the weak one.

Also Poe and Cpt. Phasma almost not being in the movie. Poe was great in every scene he was in, only that he was in about six scenes. Cpt. Phasma had about three scenes and did nothing, I almost think they did that just to make Boba Fett less stupid(in the films) her scenes consisted of telling Finn to put his helmet back on, telling kylo and the other guy that Finn hadn't shown any prior signs of defection, and getting captured and turning off the planet's shields without putting up a fight, then it's implied that Han stuffed her in the trash.

Finn was without a doubt the best character in my opinion, but he did have one scene that I thought was badly written. During the escape scene he just blast the shit out of all the Stormtroopers in the hangar so he can escape, but the reason he wants to escape is because he doesn't want to kill people, or something like that. It just didn't make that much sense to me.

Requiem

I think it's safe to not use spoiler tags now that we're three pages into the thread. That and it's been a month since the movie released. We should be okay by now.

I think Finn was okay with shooting stormtroopers, despite them being some sort of pseudo family for him, because they're not innocents. They killed innocent people and no amount of programming made Finn want to kill innocent people. He doesn't see the other stormtroopers as innocent.

As for Rey being gifted in the Force as quickly as she was, there's two schools of thought there. She wasn't really all that strong, she mind tricked one trooper and then collected herself/centered herself using the Force during her fight with Kylo. I wouldn't say she was showing a ton of mastery. A natural gift for it, certainly, but not a mastery. The other school of thought is that she's most likely been trained before, even if only slightly, and she was tapping into training she forgot. Or it could be that she's just very strong and that's all there is to it.

Agreed about Poe and Phasma though. They were underused. Poe was great, but he didn't really do much in the grand scheme of things. He blew up Starkiller base, but not much else in terms of plot or character development. Phasma just didn't get used at all. She didn't even shoot anyone unless we count the opening scene and I don't think she even shot anyone there. She's just sorta... around.

Colonel Thunder

Next film needs 150% more Phasma and Poe.

Also, Poe wasn't even going to be major character from what I remember reading. They were going to have him die for real in the TIE Fighter crash, but I think JJ or someone fell in love with Oscar Isaac as Poe and decided to keep him on board. Can't give you a good source on that though, it was in one of the dozens of articles I read after seeing the film, don't remember if it was a credible one. It makes sense to me though, since Poe's surprise survival seemed a little awkward.

It might make better story sense were Poe to stay dead, in terms of opening the new trilogy with "the actual hero died, now it's up to these nobodies", but I actually prefer him alive. Oscar Isaac did a fantastic job with the character, and both Poe himself and his survival were some of the brighter, more hopeful moments in an otherwise tragic film.

Requiem

Yeah, the movie needed Poe. Plus, with Poe there, we get the big three again, just in a new form. Rey is Luke, Poe is Leia, Finn is Han, but then they're also all mixes of the three. Rey is also Han, Poe is also Luke, Finn is also Leia. They share the key characteristics of the original big three, so without Poe, the cast would have felt empty.

Colonel Thunder

They share the key characteristics of the original big three, so without Poe, the cast would have felt empty.
Yeah, especially given the big spoiler...

On that note, I remember @Null Hypothesis mentioning that it would have been really interesting (though obviously incredibly bleak) if when Rey checked on Finn right after the fight with Kylo Ren, she found him dead. They've definitely cemented her as the primary protagonist, but wow, that would have done that as well and packed a hell of a punch.

13thforsworn

I had no problem with the amount of Poe and Phasma. Poe is obviously an important character, and I see him becoming more crucial to the storyline in the future, and thus more screen time, but I think for this movie his screen time was sufficient. Did what he had to do, and didn't overstay his welcome. As for Phasma, why the fuck would I care about her? She's some slightly more important stormtrooper. So what? I will say that the scene where they force her to turn off the shields is kinda lame, they're like "you better fucking turn those shields off OR ELSE", and she's like, "you're making a big mistake, you're gonna regret this!" Really? That's the best they could do? But that's a criticism of the quality of the scene, not her actual amount of screen time. Otherwise I don't give a fuck about Phasma.

Tag_Ross

We're mostly disappointed because they used a somewhat popular actor, Brienne of Tarth, and threw her at us every chance they got, despite knowing she did nothing worth being a named and designed character.

Chickenspleen

I highly doubt we've seen the last of Phasma. I'm holding out hope that she has a bigger part to play in the next two movies.

Top Bottom