2016 Election Clusterfun

Firedemon

I had the weirdest nightmare last night that it was the general election and the candidates were Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Hillary won, but it didn't really make me feel any better. Then I woke up and most signs were pointing to that happening in reality. I think I'm still stuck in the dream, someone help me.

I'm not even shitting you, I HAD THIS AS A DREAM LAST NIGHT. I knew it was just a weird dream because Texas went blue.

Whitetiger

Sanders and Cruz have little to no chance of winning so it's looking like Trump vs Hillary is going to be thing. I am looking forward to the debates (in which Trump rips her apart) but I won't be voting for either one. Not that it matters because with how long the FBI has been working on this investigation they will probably have a rock solid [insert rondait pic here] case against her by the time the general election gets into full swing.

The Hound

Just Monika
Did you guys see that Wikileaks released Hillary's email archives? I gave it a glance, some of them were of a personal nature so it will be interesting what people find after they sift through all 30k of them.

Requiem

Sanders still has plenty of chance to win the nomination. March 15th was the last if the states Clinton was guaranteed to win. It wasn't until June in 2008 that Obama won. We still have three months before we can say that Sanders literally has no chance.

Rondait

With Rubio dropping out I wouldn't quite count Cruz out. I don't like him, but to me he's better than the alternative. I just hope that I am right and most Rubio supporters jump to Cruz, because if not I bet we'll be seeing Hillary/Trump.

Firedemon

Cruz will probably eek out the nomination with Rubio out of the picture. Unless Kasich makes a pretty crazy surge, which I'm totally cool with if he does get the nomination instead of just accidentally handing it to Drumpf. And if Bernie gets the nomination... Huh.

I actually said months ago Bernie vs Cruz was the match up I wanted to see most. Not because I like Cruz, but because Bernie and Cruz are interestingly similar in their willingness to go all out to keep their promises. Gotta remember, Ted Cruz is partially/substantially/totally responsible for shutting down the fucking government in 2013 over Obamacare. Why? Because he promised to repeal it, and god dammit Ted Cruz is gonna keep that promise. Unlike all the candidates who said they would and clearly didn't mean it*.

Admittedly, Ted Cruz's record has been totally off my radar aside from that. Maybe I'm assuming way too much based off that incident and need to look more closely. But as much as I think he's ridiculous, I have to praise him for meaning what he says.

*Because fixing the problem means you can't bitch about it on the campaign trail. That's why nothing ever gets done. Potential inspiration here for a rant some time... Hm...

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Unfortunately, what he says is completely fucking insane.

Whitetiger

Sanders still has plenty of chance to win the nomination. March 15th was the last if the states Clinton was guaranteed to win. It wasn't until June in 2008 that Obama won. We still have three months before we can say that Sanders literally has no chance.
He is still ridiculously far behind Hillary after Super Tuesday and back in 08 I remember hearing constantly that Obama's rallies were filling to the brim while Hillary could barely get anyone. I don't think Sanders is necessarily less popular but Hillary has had 8 long years to blackmail and make friends and allies to make sure she's not embarrassed like that again. And it appears to be working because she's still beating the shit out of a man whose praise is being sung on every college campus, facebook page, and reddit thread. If this were 2008 I'm sure he could have beat her in Obama's place, but as of now, he doesn't appear to have much of a chance.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
He is still ridiculously far behind Hillary after Super Tuesday and back in 08 I remember hearing constantly that Obama's rallies were filling to the brim while Hillary could barely get anyone. I don't think Sanders is necessarily less popular but Hillary has had 8 long years to blackmail and make friends and allies to make sure she's not embarrassed like that again. And it appears to be working because she's still beating the shit out of a man whose praise is being sung on every college campus, facebook page, and reddit thread. If this were 2008 I'm sure he could have beat her in Obama's place, but as of now, he doesn't appear to have much of a chance.
http://usuncut.com/news/how-tonights-bernie-sanders-rally-compared-to-hillary-clintons/

As far as delegates go, Clinton's got 1147 to Bernie's 830. She's winning a lot harder when you count superdelegates, but those don't necessarily mean anything at all if Bernie can win out on regular delegates.

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
And it appears to be working because she's still beating the shit out of a man whose praise is being sung on every college campus, facebook page, and reddit thread.
Social media is so filled up with Bernie that mentioning him more does prettymuch nothing; it's effectively just extolling his virtues among a demographic that he's already insanely popular with. If Bernie's going to win, he'll almost certainly need to be talked about by more people, and a social media circlejerk no longer furthers that.

Requiem

http://usuncut.com/news/how-tonights-bernie-sanders-rally-compared-to-hillary-clintons/

As far as delegates go, Clinton's got 1147 to Bernie's 830. She's winning a lot harder when you count superdelegates, but those don't necessarily mean anything at all if Bernie can win out on regular delegates.
Pretty much this. Yeah, the media isn't covered Sanders and that hurts him, but everything else is essentially the same as 2008. Sanders rallies do fill up every venue they go to. Hillary as well, but not always to the same extent.

Like I mentioned, she's winning the way she is because we've hit all of the state's she was guaranteed to win. Now she's out of those states, the race to the nomination is still rather close. The superdelegate count really means nothing until they actually put their votes out.

Yeah, shit looks bad because the media isn't covering Sanders, but literally nothing has changed, that's been the same the entire race so far. Sanders isn't out until he's out and all of the information we have so far suggests that there's still an extremely viable chance for Sanders to win.

As for Obama getting coverage during his run against Hillary, well yeah. He was like Trump in that election. He was a spectacle and he was interesting. Young, black politician runs for president against a very likely female president, first of her kind. The ratings probably poured in for the media. On the other hand, we have an old white jew with a decent chance to win over a potential first female president. The media doesn't care to cover him because he's not entertaining and he doesn't bring the ratings. Just because they choose to not cover him and it's definitely bullshit, it doesn't mean he's out until he's actually out.

Steal Thy Kill

I mean, sure, it wasn't until June that Hillary dropped out, but Obama was considered to have won well before that. She just stuck around because why not. I expect Bernie to do the same.

And here's Bernie's situation in a nutshell. He lost the South by 50 points in multiple states. That's really really bad. Worse than expected. You can see on 538's delegate tracker just how badly he underperformed. He needs to make up not just losing the South, but the degree to which he lost it. He's losing by 300 pledged delegates, sure, but he's behind his benchmarks by 140. That number is a lot, and it's way harder to make up. It means he doesn't just need to win states, he needs to beat the demographics. And he hasn't been doing that for the most part. His strongholds are the pacific northwest, the northern bit of the Midwest, Colorado, and rural states. Hillary's got the South and Upper South. They're splitting the Rust Belt, though Pennsylvania still is due to have it's say. The Southwest is looking not great for Bernie because Hillary won Mexicans by 2:1 in Texas, and they make up some good portions of the vote down there. Again, because Bernie's margins with minorities are worse than expected, he could be due to underperform again. Which is bad.

But wait, what about the Northeast? Reliable bastion of the liberal elite and fairly white to boot. He's already taken three of the states and barely lost the fourth. Sounds like good Bernie territory, right? Wrong.

Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire are not demographically similar to Maryland, New York, and Connecticut even if they all vote blue (except New Hampshire but it's got the whole first in the nation thing messing with it). The difference? The first three states are rural. Bernie wins places that don't have people. But why was Massachusetts so close? It still has dicks for minorities, so where did Hillary make it up? With money. Not ad buys, but by people with money. Democrats who aren't poor aren't likely to vote Bernie. And in Massachusetts, the massive youth vote (Boston is basically a giant college town) couldn't beat out the fact that Massachusetts has a median income of 65k and those people either don't buy what Bernie's selling, or they don't want to pay for it. Which of those factors goes down in Rhode Island or Delaware? Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling big Hillary wins here (though she will take some more). But look at the tracker. The Northeast is not a Bernie stronghold. It was never a Bernie stronghold. The expectation was that they'd split it and it would be very contested. And if Bernie couldn't take Massachusetts by a comfortable margin when he's got such a strong youth vote to rely on, well, that doesn't bode well for elsewhere.

And that's Bernie's problem. He's got some naturally favorable territory ahead, but not in the places that matter.

D

Deleted member 13

Unregsistered User
...On the other hand, if Bernie miraculously pulls through and takes the nomination, it would be among the greatest upsets in American electoral history. Like, I'm talking on the same level as this:

Requiem

I'm just saying, don't count him out until he's actually out. Is it likely that he'll win? No, but hell, I'd rather give him the whole shot than just assume he literally can't win, especially when too many polls show Hillary absolutely losing to most of the Republican candidates and only just barely beating Trump.

Firedemon

So last night was a decent night for Bernie, he won 55 to Hillary's 20.

In other news, rather comically there's a petition out to allow open carry of firearms at the GOP national convention in Ohio. They have over 22,000 signatures. Considering the legitimate concerns/hopes of a brokered convention and Drumpf not getting the nomination as a result of that, and the violent nature of some of Drumpf's supporters recently... We may see a more literal death of the GOP than people, myself included, have been predicting.

13thforsworn

So last night was a decent night for Bernie, he won 55 to Hillary's 20.

In other news, rather comically there's a petition out to allow open carry of firearms at the GOP national convention in Ohio. They have over 22,000 signatures. Considering the legitimate concerns/hopes of a brokered convention and Drumpf not getting the nomination as a result of that, and the violent nature of some of Drumpf's supporters recently... We may see a more literal death of the GOP than people, myself included, have been predicting.
Insane Person or Troll said:
"We are all too familiar with the mass carnage that can occur when citizens are denied their basic God-given rights to carry handguns or assault weapons in public"
I can't even. I have lost the ability to can.

The Hound

Just Monika
Well if we want to shut down that terrible argument forever maybe we should let them have their guns, because whatever happens it's a win for everyone. At best nothing happens and guns aren't as big of a problem as people make them or there's a bloodbath and we have a few less Republicans and proof that guns don't make places safer.

Top Bottom