2016 Election Clusterfun

Steal Thy Kill

The first district belongs to Paul Ryan. Hilariously, Trump is winning in Rock County, which contains the Speaker's hometown of Janesville. However, that doesn't mean he's likely to take the district (though so far it is contested). It contains a chunk of Waukesha County, which is a Milwaukee suburb county that Cruz is winning by 40 pts. Trump's lead in Kenosha is too narrow to help him out here. Cruz will pick up another three delegates here.

Steal Thy Kill

Bad news for Kasich. His only hope in Wisconsin was snagging the 2nd district, which includes Madison, but so far it's breaking against him, and in fact is leaning Cruz. This could suggest strategic voting is going on, or just another example of how Kasich is running a terrible campaign. His entire case for staying in the race is that he can help beat Trump in the more liberal Northeastern states. This isn't helping, though there could be strategic voting going on in Madison. He's been focusing pretty hard on New York though, so I think he was fully prepared to concede the state. Plus, Madison isn't exactly like the Northeast.

I'm not calling it for Cruz yet, but it sure as hell isn't going Kasich.

Steal Thy Kill

Oh, I forgot to mention it before, but Cruz is taking the 6th.

So far, Cruz is at 30/42 delegates. The 2nd, 3rd, 7th, and 8th districts are left.

Steal Thy Kill

Man. So here's the problem with the remaining districts. Aside from the 2nd, they're rural af. They're gonna take a while to fully report. So far, Cruz is edging Trump out in the 8th while Trump is doing the same in the 3rd and 7th, but so many precincts aren't reporting yet. I do think that Trump will take the 7th, because they're currently represented by a former MTV reality star and if they're willing to elect Sean Duffy from the Real World, why not Trump?

Steal Thy Kill

Checking back in with the Democrats, Bernie is, of course, still winning the state. He's currently at about the 55 he originally wanted, and could actually push his way up. So good news for Bernie fans, the polls were off again, and this time not in a caucus state. Next step is doing so in a closed primary, which is an issue because Bernie does much better with unaffiliated liberals than the card carrying ones. Young people are one of the groups that typically don't register for a political party (Trump also has this problem). Still, this is a breath of fresh air for his campaign.

Steal Thy Kill

Okay. Cruz won the 2nd. 4.5k lead in Dane County is something Trump probably can't come back from, especially with the rest of the district more or less done. And we can confirm strategic voting going on, as voters with postgrad degrees started going hard for Cruz (it's a Kasich demographic). We'll see if they turn back to Kasich in the northeast or not.

Right now it's 36-3, with the third district hanging in the balance.

For the Democrats, we'll have to wait for the exact delegate count in the morning. The Democrats are proportional, but sometimes it's proportional by district, and Wisconsin is one of those states.

Firedemon

So the Donald got that last district, ending it at 36-6 in delegates, with the popular vote at 48.2 - 35.1 - 14.1 for Republicans. Looks like for the Democrats there are still three delegates to be allocated, but the results until then are 47-36, with the popular vote at 56.6 - 43.1. So, not quite the 58 - 42 target Stealthy quoted. Those 3 delegates might go to Bernie, getting him to the target he needed, or they might go to Hillary, or they might get split, but we'll really just have to wait and see.

Or someone could look up the Wisconsin Democratic Party's rules on delegate allocation and find out if those are actually supposed to go a particular way based on the data we have.

Steal Thy Kill

I use a mix of NYT's county map with the estimated votes remaining tool left on, the AP district results page (I am gonna try and swap this one out if I can. For whatever reason last night it kept refusing to count anything out of Milwaukee. Which was fine because there were clear winners on both sides but still). I've got a decent idea of who does well with what demographics, and try and get a good map of each state accordingly. The 538 live chat is pretty useful for filling in the gaps, plus a few other good places.

Anyhow, final votes came in and it looks like Trump edged out Cruz in the 3rd, giving us a final total of 36-6. It gets pretty interesting if you dig into the exit polls. As I said earlier, Cruz's victories with highly educated voters indicates that they're jumping from their preferred candidate of Kasich to Cruz, who is more likely to stop Trump. But you see this even more with some of the exit questions. A fifth of Cruz voters say that they would be concerned if he were president. If we assume that they're all Kasich voters and transfer them accordingly, Cruz drops from 48% to 38%, while Kasich jumps from 15 to 25. Cruz still takes home the 18 delegate prize, but he's not gonna hold onto all six districts. 2nd drops out of his hands for sure, though possibly into Kasich's instead of Trump's.

And for people talking about how 20% of Bernie voters think they won't go for Clinton, the Wisconsin exit poll has 40% of all GOP voters saying they'll abandon the party if Trump is the nominee, and 35% if it's Cruz. All of these numbers (maybe not Trump's) are likely to drop when the time actually comes. Right now voters are comparing the rival candidate to their preferred one, while in November they'll have to compare the rival candidate to the enemy's. Lesser of two evils and all that. But considering that the nominee is prolly gonna be either Trump or Cruz, this'll be pretty significant.

For the Democrats, final shakedown is 47-36 Bernie, with three delegates still pending. The Democrats actually split their delegates like the GOP did with at-large and by-district portions, but they're all proportional while the GOP is winner-take-all for each group. Hence why we're waiting on three delegates, as we're basically looking at whether districts went 3-3 or 4-2. Overall this can lead to a difference between the share of the popular vote and share of delegates, but not as badly as the electoral college or GOP style systems do. By pure proportional vote, Bernie would get 48 or 49 delegates, and he is in that ballpark. Being a delegate off is something he can survive.

Overall, Hillary's won 57% of the popular vote so far, and 55% of the delegates. So the funky pseudo-proportional system does work decently enough, even if it still isn't perfect in really fine toothed close elections. Bernie looks like he successfully hit his original target, but may be a tiny bit short of his new target. We'll have to see what happened that made the polls underestimate him and Ted Cruz. Undecided voters breaking hard for Cruz makes sense. Not sure if it does for Bernie, but perhaps polls once again kinda fucked up on getting their minds around turnout in the open primary, even if it wasn't as bad as in Michigan.

The pessimistic angle to Bernie's win is that, looking at neighboring states and the demographics, Bernie did as well as you'd expect. He got 60% in Minnesota, and 50% in Michigan. Wisconsin would, reasonably, be somewhere in the middle. If Bernie had a better campaign (read: not outsourcing shit to reddit), I think he could've hit that 60%, but so be it. Massachusetts is still a threatening harbinger for what's to come. In WI, Bernie needed to beat the polls, but not the demographics. In the Northeast, that's not gonna be the case. Too many rich people and black people, plus a bunch of people who actually work in the industries that Bernie is railing against. Overall though, it was still a good night for Bernie and an especially good one Ted Cruz. Bad night for Trump. Maybe bad night for Kasich. And Clinton don't give a fuck.

And a preview of next week's coverage: Bernie wins. Nobody cares because Wyoming.

Whitetiger

Man I'm not sure if I'll be voting by the time it gets to PA. I can't stand Cruz or Trump and it's a closed primary so I can't vote against Hillary on the dem side. I don't think any of the 4 remaining candidates would be a good president (I'm not counting Kasich here). With how blatant it's been these past few months of how much Clinton owns the mainstream media, I don't think I could stand her being president. You'd have to watch Fox or TYT (which are both pretty shit) to get anything close to critical coverage of her administration.

Steal Thy Kill

Man I'm not sure if I'll be voting by the time it gets to PA. I can't stand Cruz or Trump and it's a closed primary so I can't vote against Hillary on the dem side. I don't think any of the 4 remaining candidates would be a good president (I'm not counting Kasich here). With how blatant it's been these past few months of how much Clinton owns the mainstream media, I don't think I could stand her being president. You'd have to watch Fox or TYT (which are both pretty shit) to get anything close to critical coverage of her administration.
I remember recently the rankings of candidates for news time went Trump (duh), Hillary, Bernie, Cruz, Kasich. Granted, Bernie and Hillary were having that "I'm sick of Bernie's campaign lying about me" spat, but still. Trump has been crushing the media way more than any other candidate ever.

Whitetiger

Well that's assuming you believe any coverage is good coverage, which it certainly appears to be for Trump. But still, while his coverage has been prevalent, it by no means has been positive in focus. It's just backfired considerably. I remember recently every media source was running away with the story of the protester being attacked by the Trump supporter, failing to mention that the supporter was black and the protester was wearing a KKK outfit. I think that kind of shit has largely worked in his favor but I doubt the media can be considered supportive of Trump. They've moreso shot themselves in the foot when they were aiming for him.

Whitetiger

My family is republican and I consider myself right of center and I've told my friends and family that I'll vote for anyone that isn't Trump or Hillary. And it it comes down to the two of them I'll probably not vote or just write in Optimus Prime or something.
I said this last month but I've been slowly warming to the idea of voting with anyone that runs against Hillary in the general. At this point I'm pretty much sold.

Requiem

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/717797172154998784

The idea of holding gun manufacturer's accountable for the use of a stolen gun is fucking nuts. Also using those deaths as a way to try and beat her opponent is scummy as shit.
Pretty much. Hillary's also been imploding a decent bit today. She appeared on I forget which news station and she was laughing up a storm, sounded a little drunk too, though that's debateable. It was weird.

Firedemon

My personal theory is that Hillary is frustrated that Bernie actually stands a notable (though still small) chance of taking the nomination from her. She was supposed to win in 2008, then Obama came out of nowhere and won. She was supposed to win this year, then Bernie came out of nowhere and won't give up. She's insecure, I guess.

Top Bottom