Tales from Driftmoore [OOC]

Milamber

Donor III
Name: Richard Quin
Nickname: Richie or Rich

Appearance: Standing at 6ft. Richard is slightly taller than the average height for his year. Working out and exercising daily has improved Richards health immensely and toned his physique in the process. Despite being a healthy individual and eating well his pale white skin make him appear unwell. His long hazel hair remains naturally scruffy style despite being cut numerous times it always maintains its natural shape. In attempts to look professional Richard grooms himself well trimming his beard, yet this is undermined by a small cyst above his right eye makes him appear groggy.

Mostly seen in the typical “Coves Uniform” black shirt and dark trousers, Richard is very rarely seen outside of these clothes unless he’s working out or taking a formal day off.

Personality: Richard struggles with the idea of identity and the characteristics that make up his personality. Many people would dismiss his worries as simple indecisiveness but to Richard it feels like something more, describing it as an internal conflict of sorts. In many respects Richard feels like a phony putting on an act or a mask depending on the situation or setting. During work he could be calm, collective and reasonably sociable yet outside of work he can be very insecure and withdrawn.

Richard selects his friends very carefully, fearing he’ll be let down or hurt. The few friends he possesses see through his various facades, recognising that while he appears timid and lacks confidence, underneath Richard is a very compassionate individual taking the time to listen to other people’s problems and give them the best possible advice. Tearing through the mask reveals a stubborn streak and depending on his emotional state at the time can vary from confrontational or dry witted.

While he does possesses moments of joy and peace. There is an underlying melancholy to Richard’s personality that even he doesn’t fully understand.

Life History: As the youngest of three Richard Quinn has always been the baby of the family and while this had some perks, when he was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of four his mother and father did their best to take care of him but as he grew older Richard felt himself becoming sheltered and family becamoming overprotective. It was during this stage of his life he became closer with his older siblings his sister Katherine and eldest brother Darren. (Seven years difference between his brother and three years of his younger sister.)

Getting the disease under control with the right medication around the age of ten Richard began to lead a normal life. A good student, dedicated to his studies Richard enjoyed his journey through education and didn’t seem to have much problems. Darren wasn’t so fortunate and dropped out of school as soon he was old enough, causing great conflict at home eventually resulting in a split in the family. Darren left home relocating elsewhere within Driftmoore, his sister also left to start her own business and has been very distance within the family.

As struggles with finances became evident, Richard had to help his dad support the household getting a part time job at “The Coves Restaurant” unable to balance the job and his studies; Richard flunked school and was unable to attend university. His parents were furious and their relationship began to deteriorate over the years. Constantly being compared to his successful sister and being criticised for his failings, Richards mental state began to suffer. Unable to cope at home Richard took a full time position at “The Coves” in hopes to avoid the unsavoury atmosphere and build up enough cash to leave home.

This struggle still continues, as he will always have to go back. Finding refuge in his local church, Richard found a way to vent his frustrations and gain pastoral support. Hoping to take the next steps in his plans, he aims to relocate his brother and find out why he left home.

Memento: A gold pocket watch left to him by his brother Darren. Coming with a chain, Richard takes it everywhere with him, at his darkest times he will often read the inscriptions embedded on the outside and inside of the watch.

“All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.” JRR Tolkien

“Don’t mistake God’s patience for His absence. His timing is perfect and His presence is constant. He’s always with you!”

Misc: Working 6am - 3pm most days in a small restaurant “The Cove.” Richard spends his remaining time drawing, working out and trying out new hobbies or exploring Driftmoore itself. Maybe one day he’ll reunite with his brother again. Recently he has been strongly encouraged to seek counselling support from his pastor and close friends.

Greatest Fear: Despite having numerous fears, the greatest of them all is the fear of isolation and loneliness. Richard has awoken many nights in a cold sweat dreaming of various scenarios where everyone has either passed on or left him behind. His fear is that if this does come to pass he’ll not have the strength to carry on a perhaps cease to function.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Really nice character sheet Milamber. I've read a few books on epilepsy before, a few weeks ago in fact. What type of epilepsy is it?

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
I don't think that epilepsy or narcolepsy prevent you from living a happy life. That shit's ridiculous.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Ok well something more fatal, after I think about it most conditions can be overcome if you think about the way you do things differently.

Milamber

Donor III
Really nice character sheet Milamber. I've read a few books on epilepsy before, a few weeks ago in fact. What type of epilepsy is it?
I've defaulted to Secondary Generalized Seizures as it's the type I'm most familiar with. While controlled with medication and is currently a non issue for Richard, it acts as a catalyst for his parents behavior in terms of sheltering him and is a potential area of conflict. Epilepsy is one of those things that is really depends on the type that you have and how disruptive that can be for your life. I'm a tad worried that I've made my character too dark but I wanted to try something real and challenging.

That's a really good character... I love how realistic these characters are lol. Completely unlike mine, but then I'm hardly a realistic person...
I have no problems with Tolvans character per say, it reminds me of myself and several new starts in the "Soul Reaper RP" it's just the way you phrase your description and certain areas you could expand on. You could do that in the RP itself or your sheet. Eg. Why is your character so attached to your cloak? Why does Tolvan go between being a game designer and author? Why does a sense of Powerlessness make you afraid? Did the anime/manga of Full Metal Alchemist have a heavy impact on his life due to his appearance and pursuit for knowledge and learning to fight?

Tolvan

Campaign Killer
I have no problems with Tolvans character per say, it reminds me of myself and several new starts in the "Soul Reaper RP" it's just the way you phrase your description and certain areas you could expand on. You could do that in the RP itself or your sheet. Eg. Why is your character so attached to your cloak? Why does Tolvan go between being a game designer and author? Why does a sense of Powerlessness make you afraid? Did the anime/manga of Full Metal Alchemist have a heavy impact on his life due to his appearance and pursuit for knowledge and learning to fight?
Actually, you're completely right. I was planning on developing things in the RP itself. As for FMA, it's not exactly a factor, I just look kinda like Ed IRL. Recently, I have been watching it so that might play SOME part, but I could have gone with, say, Joshua from The World Ends With You and it would have had the same effect.

EDIT ONE: Okay, I actually do have something I need to add to my character sheet, now that I think about it.

EDIT TWO: There. I think my character is much better now.

Last edited:

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Why does a sense of Powerlessness make you afraid?
A sense of powerlessness makes just about everyone afraid. If you're powerful, you're used to power and being left without it is uncomfortable. If you're powerless, you do everything you can to escape your extremely-shitty position. In fighting the power, you fight for power.

Milamber

Donor III
A sense of powerlessness makes just about everyone afraid. If you're powerful, you're used to power and being left without it is uncomfortable. If you're powerless, you do everything you can to escape your extremely-shitty position. In fighting the power, you fight for power.
I understand why people fear being/feeling powerless. In terms of a 17 year old Tolvan, I'm struggling to relate to a tangible reason or scene which would justify a fear of powerlessness. I can think of a few examples eg. Parents divorcing, Forced to move, Awaiting exam results but none seem to relate to Tolvans character.

IRL Update: Spiders have been seen frequently in my house and are scurrying across the walls and floors, I can't throw them out because I hate scurrying things. First signs of invasion.

Tolvan

Campaign Killer
I understand why people fear being/feeling powerless. In terms of a 17 year old Tolvan, I'm struggling to relate to a tangible reason or scene which would justify a fear of powerlessness. I can think of a few examples eg. Parents divorcing, Forced to move, Awaiting exam results but none seem to relate to Tolvans character.

IRL Update: Spiders have been seen frequently in my house and are scurrying across the walls and floors, I can't throw them out because I hate scurrying things. First signs of invasion.
Just starting to realize how the world works, Tolvan feels impotent rage at all the terrible, stupid things going on. In addition, it's related to the whole fantasy thing, with the desire to be "the hero."

Milamber

Donor III
So what lobe of the brain does the seizure take place in?
When it was explained to me in layman terms, the activity was present in the left hemisphere of the brain. I'm not sure what lobe specifically as it's been a long time since I've had to receive an EEG but I assume it was temporal. The episode starts as a Focal Seizure but activity spreads to the other side of the brain, thus labeling it as a Secondary Generalized Seizure. You lose consciousness and begin convulsions. I was only a kid when I had active seizures but I did have a relapse on my 16th and I was able to remember the transition between Focal to Secondary Generalized as I felt a tingling sensation with a sense of dizziness before passing out an convulsing. You kind of wake up but are so drained it takes a lot of effort to regain your surroundings.

Chickenspleen

Geeze, you guys have made these three-dimensional characters with complex motivations, and my guy's pretty much a joke character. I guess I'm more used to writing the jokier characters, though.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Geeze, you guys have made these three-dimensional characters with complex motivations, and my guy's pretty much a joke character. I guess I'm more used to writing the jokier characters, though.
That's ok, we need a comic relief character anyways.

Top Bottom