• Total voters

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Day 4 Continues

6 tributes remaining

Scene 1/7

--

Jeroth slowly climbs up a tree.

"C'mon," grumbles Jeroth, trying not to lose his grip on the thin bark. "I want those damn mangoes."

Jeroth hears a sound nearby, as if an electronic device is turning on.

"Hey Jeroth," says Coolpool, appearing out of a bush with his laser pistol pointed at Jeroth. "Getting some food?"

"Uh, yeah," smiles Jeroth. "Someone blew up all the food at the cornucopia. Just uh, just thought I'd grab some mangoes."

"Hm," says Coolpool.

Coolpool aims his pistol at a nearby tree and fires several times.

Bolts of lasers cut through the tree, causing it to collapse and light ablaze. The nearby area is green enough not to spread a wildfire.

"I thought Req would be there," says Coolpool. "That was the only good hiding spot around here."

"Yeah, uh, Req and I aren't a team anymore" says Jeroth, thinking whether he should jump and run, or jump and try to land on top of Coolpool. A third option came to mind. "The jerk found a laser pistol like the one you have, then tried to kill me. We had agreed not to betray each other until it was just us left. The bastard."

"I'd be surprised if there were two laser pistols in the game," says Coolpool. "Especially since I blew up the cornucopia, and I saw no such thing."

"Believe me or don't," says Jeroth, keeping a straight face. He had always been a good liar. "So are you going to shoot me or what?"

Coolpool thinks for a minute, then shoots Jeroth's tree several times. Jeroth ducks behind the tree for cover as best he can, but the bolts don't come near him.

Coolpool had just shot down the mangoes.

As Jeroth descends from the tree, Coolpool kicks over a mango to Jeroth.

"Uh, thanks," says Jeroth.

"I think you're lying," says Coolpool. "But if you're telling the truth, Req is actually a credible threat. Take me to where you saw him last."

"Sure, sure," says Jeroth, noting that Coolpool was slowly holstering his laser pistol. "Right this way."

--

So what'd he say?

The administrator thinks things will sort themselves out in the area. We might not have to worry about 14 for long.

A contingency plan?

Something like tha-oh, uh, stay tuned!

Colonel Thunder

Fun Fact: This series is now over 23,000 words long, which is just about 7,000 words shy of qualifying to be long enough to be a novel. I think.

Also, what team are you on?

I'd state mine, but that could be read as bias since I already know who wins..

EDIT: Wait a second, I can't make a poll in a thread that's not my own.

@Jeroth wanna make a poll in the OP?

Something like, "who do you want to win?"

#TeamDruby
#TeamEasy
#TeamTolvan
#TeamCoolpool
#TeamReq
#TeamJeroth

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
> Not being on Team Easy.

Colonel Thunder

Day 4 Continues

6 tributes remaining

Scene 2/7

--

Druby rolls to avoid some arrows that shoot out of a tree. He then ducks to avoid a swinging axe, and finds himself next to a treasure chest.

"Yike, that was a lot of traps!" says Druby. "I hope there's some good loot in here."

Druby opens the chest and finds a sniper rifle with multiple clips of ammo.

"Oh, well this is good I guess," says Druby. "I wish there was an instruction manual though."

Druby hears someone approaching. He grabs the equipment and hides behind a tree.

A moment later, Req walks by, taking careful notice of all the traps Druby had set off and miraculously dodged.

"Someone's been through here recently," says Req. "And they definitely don't know how to avoid setting off traps. I'd say this is Druby's or Tolvan's work. Well, not Druby. Otherwise I'd see his corpse by the first trap."

Druby grumbles quietly to himself.

"Darn, looks like somebody already got the loot here," says Req, inspecting the empty chest. "It's probably for the best. I hope the others find some decent gear, I at least want these games to be a challenge."

Req sits down for a moment. To Druby, he seems deep in thought.

"Man, this is weird," says Req. "I want to win the games, but I want others to have a decent shot too? Those are conflicting ideas."

Req thinks some more.

"Maybe I want people to have good gear so that I'll be on the defense or once," says Req. "I hate to admit it, but I straight-up murdered Shizno, and got TC killed as well. And part of me even...liked it."

Req shakes his head.

"Whatever, that's not important!" says Req. "It's too far gone, the only thing that matters now is winning. It's the only way any of us can go home."

Req begins walking away, still failing to notice Druby.

Druby carefully sets up the sniper rifle and train his sights on Req.

He has the back of Req's neck in his sights, but Druby hesitates.

Druby sighs, and remvoes his finger from the trigger. He slings the rifle over his back and heads the opposite direction as Req.

"Maybe there's another way..." says Druby.

--

This is pretty late in the game to be seeing pacifist behavior.

That'll probably get Druby killed. In fact, it's a miracle he's made it this far.

Wasn't he determined to have the least chance to succeed from the beginning?

No, that was Rondait - but you're not far off.

Let's see what the other tributes are up to.

Stay tuned!

Colonel Thunder

Day 4 Continues

6 tributes remaining

Scene 3/7

--

"I'm...I'm a robot?" says Tolvan, still inspecting his metal wound. "Is that why I can't remember growing up...is that why dad was so overprotective?"

Tolvan paces around, panicking.

"Oh my god, that's why I'm a really good shot! I-I must be some kind of war machine!"

Tolvan sits down and tries to calm his breathing.

"I killed Tirin...and Lotus and Whitetiger, without a second thought....and then Recon! I killed the leader of this community! What-what am I!?"

Tolvan looks at his pistol in horror and throws it into a nearby pond.

He holds his head and walks away, trying not to cry.

--

Tolvan is taking this pretty hard.

Hey, remember when 13th learned he was a robot?

That was probably the best thing to come out of Shadow's Reign.

Really? I liked all the musical numbers!

Stay tuned!

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
All I'm sayin' is, I've got better aim than he does without being a robot. I just ain't a little bitch baby about it.

Colonel Thunder

Day 4 Continues

6 tributes remaining

Scene 4/7

--

Easy fishes peacefully by a lake. As he casts his reel, he remembers fishing with 0corn in the olden days of Urealms. Easy dwells on these pleasant memories, and despite his best efforts, vividly recalls the day things went south.

"0corn, you see that blow up between Rob and Mael?" asks young Easy, walking into 0corn's workshop.

0corn is busy studying a couple circuits on his newest project.

"Happens more and more often now," mutters 0corn, several seconds later.

"Right," says Easy nervously. The admins hadn't been getting along recently. "So uh, want to drill me on forum policy when you're done? I think I finally have all those subsections down."

"I'd like to reschedule that if possible," says 0corn without looking up. "I'm working on a new project right now, something to help alleviate our internal concerns."

"Isn't that what a Defender's supposed to do?" asks Easy.

"To some degree," say 0corn. "But if there's anything the past few years at Urealms has taught me, it's that we can't rely on man to be wise or just or even remotely consistent. Eventually, everybody screws up. And when they do it's big."

"I don't know, I think you're reading a bit much into this," says Easy, fiddling with a ratchet. "I know times are rough, but c'mon. It's not like Urealms is shutting down. The way you say it, it's like you believe our best days are behind us."

"Perhaps more than that," says 0corn ominously. "Let me show you something. Tolvan, get up."

"Hi Dad!" says the robotic skeleton of Tolvan, now sitting upright on 0corn's workbench.

"Whoa, you're making a bot?" says Easy.

"What's a bot?" asks Tolvan.

"Do you remember that sentient spambot that came here not long ago?" asks 0corn.

"Yeah, the Ukrainian news bot," says Easy. "He was pretty funny, for a bot."

"Chocobo and I have taken him under our wring," says 0corn. "He's not a unique model - evidently he's the 13th in a series of unknown origin."

"You're repurposing a spambot?" asks Easy, trying not to laugh.

"He has great potential," says 0corn. "I plan on making him a moderator of this forum soon, he's done exceedingly well in tests thus far."

"A bot in charge of the forumers?" says Easy. "0corn, you're joking, that's absurd."

"It's not, just wait and see," says 0corn. "He's a tough machine - and with some slight reworking of his programming, he could be a godsend here."

Easy crosses his arms.

"He could be a perfect man, an unbeatable machine," says 0corn. "With none of the failings of the men who made him."

"This is sounding dangerous," says Easy, a little upset. "So, what, this Tolvan bot is supposed to be like a little kid version of your perfect man? He looks like a wimp."

"I'm basing his programming off of 13th's microchips, but altering them. He won't be as vigilant - he'll be wholly innocent. But he'll have a body with incredible power. There's nothing my son won't be able to defeat, no wrong he won't be capable of righting."

"Your...son?" says Easy.

"He's more than just a project to me," says 0corn. "If I do my job right, Tolvan will be the savior of this forum, and my magnum opus."

"Great," says Easy, stepping towards the door. "Well, maybe we'll do Defender training another time then."

"By the end of this week," promises 0corn.

Easy exits the workshop with his fists clenched.

---

Back in the present, Easy waits for a bite on the fishing pole to distract him from his thoughts. But the lake is still.

--

Great, Easy's brooding again.

Let's go back to Coolpool and Jeroth, maybe they're doing something interesting.

Stay tuned!

Colonel Thunder

Day 4 Continues

6 tributes remaining

Scene 5/7

--

"We've covered a lot of ground," says Coolpool, eyeing Jeroth cautiously. "I haven't seen any signs of Req."

"We're getting closer," lies Jeroth. "Hey, once you kill Req, can I have his laser pistol? Then maybe we go separate ways?"

Coolpool doesn't answer.

"Okay, sure," says Jeroth, walking down the trail more quickly.

Jeroth recalls seeing a snare trap somewhere on this path. Assuming it is a Chocobo trap, the results will be fatal.

Coolpool unholsters his laser pistol and marches in silence. Jeroth knows he's running out of time.

Jeroth breathes a silent sign of relief when he recognizes the trap in front of him. If it weren't for years of roleplaying, he'd have stepped right into the contraption.

Jeroth bolts just off the trail and takes cover behind a tree, his back to Coolpool.

"Hey!" says Coolpool, aiming his pistol at Jeroth. "What are you..."

Jeroth points at the horizon excitedly and mouths 'Req' over to Coolpool.

Coolpool quickly scans the horizon, but sees no sign of Req. Fearing an ambush, he bolts to the nearest cover - a large rock opposite Jeroth.

"Yes!" shouts Jeroth.

Coolpool is confused for an instant, then his head hits the ground and he is hoisted into the air by his left foot.

Coolpool's head is fuzzy, but he concentrates well enough to aim his pistol at the snare entangling him. Before he can shoot, two arrows shoot out of a nearby tree - a secondary trap triggered by the snare.

Both arrows strike Coolpool in the chest.

Coolpool gasps for air when the arrows hit and wiggles around mid-air. Some trail rations and Jeroth's hatchet fall out of his pack.

"Ha, you casual," mocks Jeroth as he retrieves the supplies. "Fell for a snare trap, middle of the path. You never were a good adventurer."

Coolpool weakly raises the pistol and aims at Jeroth.

"Uh oh," says Jeroth, dodging quickly as Coolpool fires two shots at him.

Jeroth dodges both shots, but the second's blastwave sends him backward and tumbling down a hill.

The hill becomes steeper and Jeroth can't stop rolling down. He uses his retrieved hatchet to press into the earth and slow him to a stop.

"Man, that just ruined the blade," says Jeroth, inspecting his worn hatchet. "But hey, I just killed Coolpool, so I'd call that a win."

Jeroth walks towards a nearby stream and takes a look at Coolpool's food supply.

"Oh sweet, he's got candy," says Jeroth. "Wait, what's this? Just Twizzlers? Ech, disgusting."

Jeroth throws the candy to the ground and continues walking.

--

Damn, looks like Coolpool's out of the game.

And I don't think anyone's complaining. The guy fed Artist to his friends.

Yeah, he was pretty anta-whoa, Druby is up to something!

Stay tuned!

Top Bottom