Active The Maching Dead CYOA: Chapter 8 - B Team

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
Tell Muffin to wait. See if she can toss the rock to Artist and he can try the rock trick himself; if it works, then evidently the rock trick is a pretty good idea.

If not, well, obviously waiting was the play anyway.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Wait.

Walrus

Tell Muffin to wait. See if she can toss the rock to Artist and he can try the rock trick himself; if it works, then evidently the rock trick is a pretty good idea.

If not, well, obviously waiting was the play anyway.
By this logic - why not have Muffin try the rock trick on herself? Less risky than throwing it.

I don't think the rock trick will work, so I vote to simply wait. Would not be surprised if simply waiting was the way to get through the traps.

Walrus

Actually custom option - Wait while actively listening for patterns in the beeping. Might be a clue. Might be morse code.

In general - there's some kind of trick for dealing with any sort of Chocobo trap. If stealthy could figure it out, we can too. Purely relying on hearing a response from Stealthy is a mistake.

Additional theory: The killing field stopped being used after Stealthy got through not because of some kind of morale crisis about somebody vile making it across, but rather because Stealthy publicly "solving" the puzzle of the killing field thereby rendered further use of the field pointless (to prevent people just copying what stealthy did, a new field with a different puzzle would need to be designed). Therefore, anybody who watched Stealthy solve it should know how to get across. I am now questioning whether Easy or maybe even Walrus should therefore know how to get across.

Last edited:

Steal Thy Kill

Muffin and Artist's best chance is to wait.

There's no guarantee that the rock trick works. It's a fairly straightforward way of dealing with landmines, so a real Chocobo trap would probably safeguard against that and demand more creativity. While there's a chance that this is a double bluff, that's not guaranteed. The best chance for the rock trick working is because this is actually TC replicating a Chocobo trap, but that's just too meta for us to really go off of.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Therefore, anybody who watched Stealthy solve it should know how to get across. I am now questioning whether Easy or maybe even Walrus should therefore know how to get across.
I'm gonna say not. Chocobo and maybe 0corn were the only forumers that saw it happen. The others who saw it were mods and admins of other communities. Stealthy told Spiffy about it, who accidentally told Req about it, who told Anatron. Those are the only people in the community that know.

Steal Thy Kill

Would like to mention that if I told Spiffy (obviously), then Tirin would also know. Unless that hurts the story in which case fuck it.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Tell Muffin to wait for Stealthy's incoming advice: 5 (CP, Easy, Tim, Req, Stealthy)
Tell Muffin to wait, have Artist try the rock trick: 1 (Tirin)
__________________________________________________________________________________________

It takes Milamber some time to find Stealthy by the helicopters. He tells Stealthy what's happening and they rush back inside.

--

"Just hold on," says Easy. "Stealthy's almost here just - just look for a pattern in the beeping, observe everything you can."

"It's just a continuous beep now," says Muffin, tearing up.

"Easy!" says Artist. "If I don't make it out of this, tell Recon to use the Pretty Picture. Okay?"

"You're getting out of this," insists Easy. "I think I hear something, just stay where-"

"Easy," says Muffin. "Don't let him change you."

"What?" says Easy.

"A-and," stutters Muffin. "I al-"

The beeping stops.

Instead of a boom, it's a hiss.

The ground hisses, and little sprinklers spring up around Artist and Muffin. They lightly shower them in a clear liquid before retreating back into the ground.

Artist and Muffin scream and roll on the ground in agony as the acid burns through their skin, their flesh, and even their bones in a matter of seconds. Artist rolls onto some sort of trap that impales him with metal spikes. Muffin simply writhes until she succumbs to her wounds. It all takes less than ten seconds for Easy's two friends to be reduced to smoldering skeletons with thin layers of burnt flesh.

"Easy, I'm here. What's up?" says Stealthy over the radio.

Easy just stares at the corpses in front of him.

"Easy?"

--

Req wakes in a startle upon hearing Anatron screaming. At least a couple hours had passed, as it's partially light outside now.

Req gets up and sees Anatron wrestling with a Fuse clone. Req reaches for the pistol next to him but is assaulted by another Fuse clone.

Req falls to the ground with the clone on top of him. He holds it's head away from him with one arm while trying to reach for his pistol with the other.

Req abandons the pistol and holds back the clone's arm as it begins flailing at his face. Req can't think of a good way out of this, and the clone begins clawing at his good eye.

Tirin's ax decapitates the clone. Tirin doesn't waste any time in retrieving his ax. He throws it with great force at the clone assaulting Anatron, striking it in the side and throwing it off of him.

As Req gets up, Tirin sprints over to the fallen clone, now also recovering. It lunges at Tirin, still with an ax in its side. Surprisingly, Tirin is slow and it grabs hold of his shirt. Tirin easily shoves the clone to the ground, and it rips his shirt open, causing it to fall off Tirin. A moment passes before Tirin caves the clone's head in with his foot.

Tirin puts his hands on his knees and begins taking deep breaths. He looks sick. Req and Anatron make sure the area is safe, then walk towards Tirin.

"Tirin, you saved us!" says Anatron. "Th-thank you!"

"How are these things even getting this far up the mountain?" says Req, mostly to himself. "But yeah, uh, thanks."

Tirin backhands Anatron so hard he spins around twice before hitting the ground.

"You...fucking jamoke," says Tirin. "You fell asleep on watch."

"I-I didn't mean to!" retorts Anatron, scrambling away. "We've been hiking for so long, give me a break!"

"Could have gotten...us killed," says Tirin, taking slow angry steps towards Anatron.

"Tirin, slow down, you don't look good," says Req, following his friend.

"I'm...I'm gonna," says Tirin.

Tirin stops and falls to his knees. He vomits violently, and it's full of blood and green ooze.

"...Tirin?" says Req. He ignores Anatron and notices something on Tirin. "Is...is that a bite mark on your shoulder?"

It's true. There's a swollen, sickly bite injury on Tirin's shoulder.

"Yeah, so what?" says Tirin, standing up again. "So I'm a little sick, I'm fine."

"But, but you'll turn into one of those things!" says Anatron.

"You jag," says Tirin. "We don't know...if that's how it works. Nobody's seen shit!"

"Tirin, you're burning up," says Req, feeling Tirin's forehead.

"Fuck you guys," says Tirin, pushing Req aside and taking slow steps up the mountain. "Buncha fuckin' babies fearing the worst, 'fraid of their own goddamn shadow."

"Tirin, wait, you're acting irrational!" says Req.

"Yeah, you'd know something about that wouldn't you, one-eyed fuck-up of a leader" says Tirin. "See you jags at the Clubhouse. Smell ya la-"

Req hears two gunshots. Both bullets strike Tirin in the back.

He falls backwards. Before he or Req can react, Anatron walks forward holding Req's pistol and empties three more bullets into Tirin, one in the neck, two in his head.

Req feels something like sick.

"He was going to turn and kill us!" says Anatron, turning towards Req. "Imagine a Fuse clone with time manipulation! It could be unstoppable, we had to put him down!"

Req stares at Anatron.

"He was scum, he was going to be scum!" insists Anatron. "You see that, right? Right Req? He was becoming scum. Do you understand?"

Req lunges at Anatron.

Anatron yells and fires at Requiem, not realizing that his gun is now empty.

Req violently twists the gun out of Anatron's hand, breaking several of his fingers. Anatron screams in pain and tries shoving Req off of him, but Req holds him firm by the throat. Req uses the butt of the pistol to smash Anatron's mouth, breaking his jaw and knocking several teeth out.

Anatron tries to hold Req off, but only manages to pull the eyepatch off of him. Req shoves Anatron against a tree and holds him there. Req punches him in the face and knees him in the balls several times over. Anatron tries to kick him off, but Req grabs his foot and twists it hard, breaking his ankle. Req continues beating him. Anatron is still conscious, but not even trying to resist anymore. Just pleading for mercy.

Req grabs Anatron and throws him to the ground. He picks up his gun and looks at Tirin's corpse, which is now translucent, quickly fading away into the echoes of time.

Anatron coughs up blood. Req begins walking away, then hears another Fuse clone in the distance. It has a broken leg and is slowly moving towards them, about fifty meters out. Its eyes are fixed on Anatron.

"Req..." says Anatron, barely able to crawl towards him. "Req..."
________________________________________________________________________________________

-watch Anatron be torn to pieces
-leave
-kill Anatron, leave
-kill the Fuse clone, leave
-kill the Fuse clone, help Anatron and leave with him

Top Bottom