Ended Witch Hunt (Mafia) (Game End, Partial Town Victory)

Shadow

Banned
Well I accomplished nothing. I remember why I stopped playing mafia now.
What Req said. The only way you will get better is if you keep playing.

Speaking of which, sign up for my game. That goes for all of you fucks (unless you have already signed up, in which case, carry on)

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Can I just be a little non-humble for a second and say I'm so glad I held off on using my ability until the end? It was nice being the hammer on the game.
Why not use it on Day 2, though? Could have hammered Ro as soon as he roleclaimed, and then nightkilled Tolvan.
Can you explain what that whole thing was in the beginning of the game? "No lynch him, no don't lynch him, because mysterious reasons." You never really explained that much.
My own little slice of delicious. I was tempted to just go on keeping it a secret, both because I may need to make use of it again in the future and because I'd be privately amused whenever I imagined people trying and failing to figure it out for themselves. But, that'd probably just make me look like I didn't want to admit that I was BS'ing everybody. Besides, realistically, I'm pretty sure nobody would still be thinking about it a few days from now, anyway.

Now, some of this is going to look like the kind of stuff that's really easy to claim knowledge of after the fact - i.e., hindsight, like what that HBO show about super special awesome news reporters uses for plot. I'm not magic, though. Of course I knew damn well, at the time, that I could have been mistaken about any of this stuff, but it's like this:

Firstly, the goal of that play was to do what I could to try to direct the Town's attention away from TC, since I had a hunch that he had a power role. Of course, that was just a best-guess sort of suspicion, as per the disclaimer above, but I was willing to bet on it because of how he'd reacted to my roleclaim earlier. He called it out as a vanilla Townie claim as if he'd actually had to think about it, whereas an actual vanilla Townie, having himself just started a game after not receiving any role PM, should have recognized that as obvious enough to go without saying. Especially since, as it turned out, that info was even in the thread title all along.

Sound like a stretch? Actually, it's a safer bet than you'd probably think. Go back and look through the game, and you'll find that even among the more experienced players in this round, the ones who'd received a role PM tended to be notably less skeptical of the claim. No vanilla Townie reacted quite like TC did, though Req came pretty close. Things that you figure out yourself are more believable than things that are told to you directly, when you're not sure if you can trust the source.

Anyway: After Tag pointed out that that thing with the thread title, I was pretty sure that Chickenspleen was a vanilla Townie and that TC had a power role, (though Chickenspleen had been acting a little weird). Now, all of that is stuff that I could have said then and may seem pointless now, but bear with me.

You see, talking about all that then wouldn't have convinced anybody that TC was pro-Town. This is partly because you still couldn't be sure that I wasn't lying about everything at the time, and partly because I was pretty suspicious of TC myself. I was willing to bet the game that he had a power role, in fact, but he struck me as more likely scum than not. I knew I was Town, so I wouldn't have generally expected any scum players to be the first step forward and tell everybody how legitimate they thought my roleclaim was, but of course there's always the part where scum can do things just because they know people would expect scum not to, and then WIFOM kicks in. So, on the whole, I wasn't all that much less suspicious of him than anybody else was.

Now finally, with that context, The Point: Why Push To Lynch Chickenspleen Instead Of Thunderclaw? Like most of you, I thought TC was pretty likely to flip scum. Unlike most of you, I figured there was little chance of him being a vanilla Townie and a pretty fair chance that he had a Pro-Town power role. Chicken was really likely to flip vanilla and pretty unlikely to flip scum, but he was the second-best guess I had.

If TC was a scumboy, I had no idea who his scumbuddies could have been, and I was very certain that they weren't going to stick their necks out while the bandwagon was rolling on him like that. Even a scumkill on TC on Day 1 would have led to our going more or less blind into Day 2.

The plan was to try to make it look like we weren't really all that suspicious of him anymore, let Chickenspleen take the fall, and see who suddenly become a lot more supportive of TC once it became clear that he wasn't necessarily marked for death anyway. Chickenspleen was my next-best guess, and I was pretty sure he was a vanilla at the worst. TC might have had a pro-Town power role; if so, he'd at least have one night's work to show for when I (planned to have) brought the bandwagon back and forced a roleclaim on Day 2. (After all, scum probably wouldn't bother nightkilling such an easy lynch.)

I figured the only way we didn't learn a lot more from keeping TC alive another day was if both Chickenspleen came up vanilla, and TC's scumbuddies didn't ever buy that there was really still a chance of convincing people he was innocent. Of course, I couldn't just tell everybody that I thought TC was guilty, but that we should all agree to keep him alive for a bit to see who his friends were. Explaining it to the scum would have defeated the whole purpose.

Besides, I figured you'd all probably have preferred to go straight for the surer kill anyway. I could have bullshitted something else up, but the case against TC looked pretty solid, and I didn't think BS was going to cut it. So I just banked on my reputation to carry a vote, teased at maybe having some extra knowledge to make it look legitimate when I called attention away from TC, and hoped somebody would trust me.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
The thread was painful for me to read post-death.

Also, holy crap. If you're all putting even a quarter of the thought as Easy does into these games, we're a pretty bright bunch. I usually don't think more than a short-sighted minute or two before posting.

Good game, I'll second Req's sentiment on this breathing new life into Mafia.

Congrats, FD. You did a mafia game with a big twist in it, and pulled it off. I wasn't quite so fortunate with the turnout of Firefly Mafia.

You win on the "GMing Mafia" front.

Firedemon

Congrats, FD. You did a mafia game with a big twist in it, and pulled it off. I wasn't quite so fortunate with the turnout of Firefly Mafia.

You win on the "GMing Mafia" front.
"Guys, you never figured it out but I actually rigged the roles!"
"YOU SONUVABITCH LYNCH TC"
"But, guys, you didn't even notice..."
"NOPE LYNCH TC!"

"Guys, I fucking LIED TO ALL OF YOU THE ENTIRE GAME"
"This breathed new life into Mafia"

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
>make some of the smartest forumers the mafia
>I figure it out, and then die before getting the chance to tell anyone or do anything about it

that last part sounds prettymuch just like regular mafia though

Firedemon

By the way, while some of us are still floating about this carcass of a thread, do you guys feel that the full week and longer day phase time limits were beneficial to keeping the game afloat? I know mafia finally died in our community because games kept getting stalled out and not finishing, but I feel like putting in shorter time limits was actually detrimental to activity. A time limit is a deadline and deadlines are work, in a sense. I'm thinking any games I run in the future will continue with this strategy of long day phases because it seemed to work well in this game and the Family of Bad People game. Or, you know, we were getting sick of mafia in the past.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
I have no problem with week-long limits. One or two indecisive Townies can potentially allow a game to be stalled well beyond the point where other people get tired of not making any progress and don't want to play anymore, even if it looks like the game's picking up steam just because one or two people on either side of the bandwagon keep going back and forth about it.

Ro Ro Ro

I don't think time limits are necessary at all. It's really hurt this forum's perspective on what they're trying to accomplish in a single day. When people started talking about how "today's lynch can only these two specific players", it became apparent that the time limit in previous games caused their thoughts to go that way. If the time limit prevents people from saying who they're suspicious of, even if they're not part of the two, then I don't like it.

AndyM03

I liked the time limit, and I liked it's long length. It really allowed for a day to go in a complete other direction then what I thought it would go and kept the game interesting. That being said, I think it's up to the DM's discretion. We did have a lull in activity, and I think the deadline got us back in check, and then I think we extended the deadline? It's good to be flexible.

Top Bottom