Ended Witch Hunt (Mafia) (Game End, Partial Town Victory)

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
As I thought about this, that would be genius. If the mafia was just reflavored and we're under the presumption that the town was normal townies. But what if that happened? The flavor of the "Witch Hunter" role is relatively innocuous. No one would bat an eye since we're all looking for the witch.
EDIT: Unless the twist is that we're all witches and the mafia is actually puritanical.

Firedemon

Some things I thought were funny.

Req and Tag are mafia. Neither of us will die (lel), because they want to frame us, and we still have enough numbers to outlynch them tomorrow, despite Req's ability. I am sure Tag's role is Witch Hunter, and I'm sure Req's role is Puritanical Priest. There are no witches.
We lynch Tag, then Req. I suspect Req has more of an ability than he's let on, so I'd rather not lynch him and give him the chance to use it.
  1. Tag: Oh, also, I'll probably throw you under the bus if I have to.
  2. Req: Eh, I'd say hold off on any bus throwing under, lol. I've done it before with a good mafia team and it can work flawlessly, but we're Town so we're gonna want to try and save each other as much as possible. If it means revealing our roles then so be it, but we shouldn't intentionally throw each other under the bus just to save the other, especially since we need to maintain numbers over the mafia.
  3. Tag: Of course, I'm not gonna their you under the bid if I can save you, but if I can theoretically win the game if I throw you under the bus you can bet I'm gonna do it.
  4. Req: We're town though, again, throwing either of us under the table statistically makes it harder for the town to win. There's very, very few situations where actually throwing either of us under the bus will help the town. If we were mafia that would be different, but we're not, so...
  5. Tag: I know that it's unlikely to be beneficial, all I'm saying is that if throwing you under the bus wins town the game I'm willing to do it, if it will win us the game.
  6. Req: Alright. It's still going to be unnecessary, but alright.
  7. Tag: Yo Req, you got any ideas on who to kill? I'm thinking maybe jeroth.
  8. Req: We're trying to kill Mafia, not Town. I don't get a scum vibe from him, I just think he's being lazy. There's always tomorrow night in case killing him makes sense.

As for who to kill, we can always just make the job for the town easier/harder by killing TC. They plan to kill him this round anyways, especially since Chicken turned up as Town. It'll lead to more discussion.
  9. Tag: I don't think killing TC is that great an idea, he's all but dead already, and if he is town the mafia will probably kill him to cause chaos on day 2.
  10. Req: Well if the Mafia kill him and we also kill him, that leaves more Town alive which is what we want. Again, we're not trying to kill people just because. By killing him now, we either get a mafia out of the way or we move onto the next discussion faster. People will argue over killing TC all of the next day and then when he gets lynched, we move onto the next person. We can skip that and just get it done now. If the mafia really want to kill TC and we also kill him, it works out for us.

We're trying to kill the witches, not Townies. I'd rather kill TC who was acting somewhat scummy and leave the other people the chance to either make themselves look more scummy or more like Town. There's no reason to kill anyone else unless you have a more scummy read on anyone else in the game up to this point.
  11. Tag: Alright, that makes sense, I'll go with it.

YO FIREDEMON, KILL TC
  12. Req: So, of course we can't say this with one hundred percent certainty, but:

THERE'S ONLY ONE NIGHT KILL AND WE'RE IT. OH SHIT.

We'll need another night in order to be absolutely certain that this is the case (and even then we won't be entirely certain), but this is important information nonetheless. You're absolutely required to nightkill someone, but if we're the only people nightkilling, we better make damn sure about people in the future. Discussion is the most important thing for our game.

Now, that all said, why would we be the only nightkill? Is it possible there's more roles than we know about? Did the mafia get blocked? Plenty of stuff could have happened, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
  13. Tag: MAYBE YOU'RE THE WITCH AND YOU'VE PUT ME UNDER YOUR SPELL? MAKING ME THINK I'M FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT WHEN IN ACTUALLY JUST DOING YOUR BIDDING, AND YOU'RE GONNA USE YOUR -1 VOTE TO LYNCH ON ME WHEN IT'S JUST YOU AND ME LEFT!!!!!!!!
I was gonna say something about pagans being basically witches, and re-lynch Tolvan as a joke, but fuck it. Gonna be serious.
If only you knew.

Wait a second.

Firedemon, you glorious son of a bitch. If there are no witches and the Req/Tag group are the evil ones without even knowing it, this game is going to go down as my favourite game of all time.
I was actually surprised how quickly you figured that out. Not horrendously surprised I guess, since four people role claimed on day 2...

Last edited:

Shadow

Banned
In other news, I will be running a role madness game if anybody wants to play.

Thread will go up tomorrow because I'm tired and lazy.

Requiem

I think this was a really cool variant. I'm glad we played it. Sucks that TC was the voice of reason and that we knocked him out pretty much immediately.

Like... Even though most of it was unintentional and there was no way for us to know we were doing it, we basically did everything we needed to do in order for me and Tag to be entirely victorious. TC was the only one who could have cleared up the situation between Ro, Tolvan, me, and Tag. Killing him kept things confusing. Then Ro's plan let us kill a random Townie, which let us nightkill one of the Pagans without any negative effect because we were out in the open by that point. In fact, if Ro hadn't roleclaimed, we might have lynched Tag. Who's to say?

I don't mean to sound like I'm gloating. I hope I'm not. A lot of this ended up being luck. Still, this was a neat variant.

Ro Ro Ro

So all other players other than the two mason groups and the voice of reason were Vanilla town?

It is such a simple design, but there were so many possibilities for what could happen. Roleclaiming made this game really easy though for Req. Like, Really REALLY easy. Easy, you shouldn't have roleclaimed, you nitwit.

Requiem

Yeah, I was so mad that you roleclaimed, Ro. One, for the first reason I mentioned, that the mafia could just target you. I didn't know if there really was any mafia, but if there were, they could have targeted you. And two, it made it easy for me to target you. I liked being able to win more easily, but I was hoping the game would have gone on a bit longer. Would have been harder and a lot more fun. If Tag died, I would have gotten his nightkill ability. It would have been interesting.

Simple, elegant set up. I wouldn't mind this being a surprise variant from time to time. This variant depends on surprise, which is fantastic. Breathed new life into mafia, IMHO.

Firedemon

When Tag mysteriously decided to kill Tolvan instead of you, Ro, I was actually really hoping you'd find a way to talk your way out of getting lynched. You honestly had a better case for it than Tolvan since you actually claimed first, not Tolvan, and the town was already buying a surprising amount of what you said. That kind of come back would have been amazing, but the town acted understandably quickly and Req capitalized on it.

Breathed new life into mafia, IMHO.
Vote Witch Hunt, Best Mafia Game 2016.

Requiem

Can I just be a little non-humble for a second and say I'm so glad I held off on using my ability until the end? It was nice being the hammer on the game.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
When Tag mysteriously decided to kill Tolvan instead of you, Ro, I was actually really hoping you'd find a way to talk your way out of getting lynched. You honestly had a better case for it than Tolvan since you actually claimed first, not Tolvan, and the town was already buying a surprising amount of what you said. That kind of come back would have been amazing, but the town acted understandably quickly and Req capitalized on it.
To be fair:

Ro and Tolvan already confirmed each other as a pairing. When I saw the red name, I lynched immediately. No hesitation since red is better dead.

AndyM03

Fuck all y'all man. Least it turned out well... sort of. This really did remind me of The Crucible, and our 'partial victory' makes me just as angry as the play did. Great game Firedemon.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Tolvan has been night killed! Tolvan was a Witch!
Knew it.
We're trying to kill the witches, not Townies. I'd rather kill TC who was acting somewhat scummy and leave the other people the chance to either make themselves look more scummy or more like Town. There's no reason to kill anyone else unless you have a more scummy read on anyone else in the game up to this point.
Goddammit Req. I wanted him alive for a reason, you big jerk.

(Not the right reason, turns out, but still.)
It is such a simple design, but there were so many possibilities for what could happen. Roleclaiming made this game really easy though for Req. Like, Really REALLY easy. Easy, you shouldn't have roleclaimed, you nitwit.
You're being facetious, I guess?

EDIT: Oh, I get it.

Last edited:

Requiem

Well I accomplished nothing. I remember why I stopped playing mafia now.
Okay no, don't you do that shit. You did fine. You were a Townie with no role in a game where you were either a normal townie or a witch. You couldn't control pretty much 90% of what happened in this game.

The game also only last 2 and a half rounds. That's a big deal. All things considered, this game was blindingly fast. You did great Coolpool and this is exactly why you should KEEP playing mafia.

The only reason you shouldn't play is if YOU aren't having fun with the game. If you had fun, keep playing. Trying to say that you accomplished nothing is contrary to the actual goal of any game, which is having fun. If you accomplished that, you accomplished everything you were supposed to. Don't give me that shit Coolpool.

Goddammit Req. I wanted him alive for a reason, you big jerk.
Can you explain what that whole thing was in the beginning of the game? "No lynch him, no don't lynch him, because mysterious reasons." You never really explained that much.

Req you bitch, I trusted you.
And we got the Witches exactly like we wanted to. You won. The Town got a partial victory through our complete victory.

Besides, if you had thrown me under the bus exactly like you suggested you would right when the game started, you would have lost the game for the Town by becoming the mafia and killing everyone.

Top Bottom