Ended Dawn Runners, a Choose Your Adventure

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Attempt diplomacy and reason with them. Let the bad guys know that if they choose to fight, that even if they manage to win, there won't be many of them alive to tell the tale afterwards.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
Ok well then the ambush plan is kind of out of the window. Unless there are places to hide.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
I still say we send a small group of our best people to say that we are peaceful while everyone else carefully prepares an ambush. If they catch us ambushing then we can bluff an excuse maybe.

Frilzer

Let a small number negotiate, hide the rest and prepare to attack if necessary (2)
Prepare forces and attempt intimidation (1)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far you have been silent. They keep bickering and trying to point out faults in the others plan. You decide that perhaps a mix of the ideas will reconcile them and get a plan in motion. You have to say something. You havent been in a real fight yet, but you definitely dont want to be in one where you get mowed down by Fellers, whoever they are, because your team cant make up their minds.

"Hey! What if we have a few out in the open and let them talk it out with the Fellers, and we hide the rest in the trees. If talking works, fantastic. If its not looking good, then we ambush them." You say with as much confidence as possible. It seems everyone looks at you a bit funny. A look that says "The new guy thinks he knows what he's doing."

"That makes sense to me." Fash says. You realize that he has been quiet the whole time. It was almost out of the ordinary. "If we hide the carts in the trees it might be fine with no temptation. They might be in a hurry and not want trouble and could ignore us. If a fight starts then we can surely hold our own against them. We can run our mounted guys out from the trees in a charge and shoot a number of arrows to cover our guys out negotiating until the rest of us make it here."

Laivric gets an unsettling look on his face. He says, "Fash, you dont have to make the new guy feel special, use your head."

"You guys can argue for a month about this, but we dont have that kind of time!" Fash exclaims. Most of the group seems to accept the decision with a number of muffled agreements. Laivric's face goes into a shock when we sees it.

Laivric looks at you with contempt. "Fine. Have a little chat. I'll get my bow ready to save your pretty faces from getting mutilated. So tell me, Tolcan, who should stay out to talk?"

Oh. Um.
------------------------------------------------------
Youll need at least a few out there...

-Yourself
-Teanna
-Fash
-Stach
-Vander
-Laivric (haha, you can try)
- Any number of other nameless, or rather, not yet named Runners.

Colonel Thunder

Renowned Blunderer & Dishonorary Czech
Tolvan should volunteer, thereby taking ownership and showing confidence in the idea. I'd also reruit whoever the two biggest, most scary looking people in our party are.

coolpool2

Savage AF
The Original Gangster
When you guys say "Big scary guy" do you mean one of the people we have on the list? You should probably specify.

Frilzer

Im willing to say that Vander is a bigger dude. You could probably find another not yet named one of decent size.

Frilzer

Tolvan, Vander, and Teanna (2)
Tolvan, Vander, and other Runner (1)
------------------------------------------------

You think for a moment, you reply, "Ill go. Ill take Vander with me, since there is a chance they saw him, and also Teanna, because she says she has managed to work with them in the past." Vander gulps and Teanna seems to get excited.

"I suppose it makes sense." Vander says.

Laivric looks as if he has a hundred things to say about your plan, but holds back. He says, "Fine. Im getting into position before they make it over the hill. Stay closer to forest. We'll be there and ready. Come on! Get what you need and move those carts into the trees! If you get yourself killed, dont blame me." He rides his horse toward the trees.

The Runners gather their armor and weapons. Many with a variety of gear. Shields, lances, swords. You take Teanna and Vander up the road a bit further, trying to make sure that you are as close to your comrade's position in the trees as possible. It is still a distance from the nearest hiding position though, it makes you uneasy.

Fash runs up to you. You see he wields a short war hammer and shield. "Hey, you dont have to do this you know. You are a little bit new at this you know?"

You feel his concern, but you are confident in your idea. Why else would you volunteer to be the negotiator? "I think we will be ok. Just be ready if things dont go as well as I hope."

Fash smiles, "Oh I will. I got Stach to agree to hide the the brush on the other side of the road with me. Its not much cover, but it should be enough for two and it puts us closer to you guys. Its not like we have horses anyway. And I need to give you a couple things. Laivric made a good point and told me to give you our syncronite ring. If you need to give the order, just call it into the ring. I doubt we will be able to hear your conversation through it, but we will be able to hear you if you talk directly into it." He hands you the ring. Its just like the one Teanna showed you earlier. You slip it on, its a little loose, but putting it on your largest finger keeps it in place. Its a little awkward though, but you dont think that would be a good reason for losing it.

Fash continues, "Sorry, we didnt bring a shield for you, we have some back at our place, at least we gave you the armor earlier. But these will really help keep you alive." He pulls out a couple tiny vials. The vials themselves are very dull and plain themselves, but the little amount of liquid inside is vibrant and bright. One holds a brilliant red liquid and the other a sleepy blue. Potions. You have seen these before, only had use a couple in your whole life before when you were little.

"Potions, a few drops can save a life, why didnt I think to bring any of those?" you say.

"Because they are expensive lifesaving drops. Remember, red for less lethal injuries. It can keep you going in a fight if you have to use it. Use blue for life threatening stuff. Just keep in mind it knocks you out for the day the moment you get it down your throat, so try not to use it anywhere still dangerous. Oh and dont drink two in one sitting! It'll heal you to death!" Fash exclaims with wide eyes.

"Heal me to death? What?" You never heard of such a thing, you think as he hands you the vials.

"You dont ever want to witness it..." Fash says. "Good luck though. Ill be close so dont freak out."

Everyone is in position. Numbers put it as 13 Runners in the forests, 2 in the brush, and 3 brave souls in the middle of the road. You hope this works. It feels like an eternity for the banner of the Fellers to appear over the hill, when in reality it had only been a minute, if that. You hear the cows mooing as if they are oblivious to the situation on hand. Probably because they are. Stupid cows. The Feller's banner is a dull grayish blue with an ax going diagonally across it. You hear... chanting? Singing?

Teanna speaks up, quietly though. "Uh oh. Thats not good."

You ask why. She says, "Well the Fellers usually only sing when they are drunk or about to get into a fight. Sometimes those are the same occasions, sometimes its when they mean business. Solaris, I pray this is an exception."

It doesnt sound promising. You see them make their way over the hill. Just as Vander had said. There are 25 of them with 4 on horses. Most of them are armored in chainmail and helmets. Some with gambeson and hard leather armor. Almost all of them appear to have a shield and an ax. Some look as if they were expecting some kind of fight at any moment. As they get closer you see many of them have beards. Some of a shorter length, and other very long. You know they have seen you now and there's no going back.

Teanna starts again, "Each Feller is shaved when he joins and never shaves after joining. Their beards length symbolizes their status in the band. Obviously they dont take women. Except ones that can grow beards." She jests and gives a cheesy smiles. How does she do that at a time like this?! "They worship Contentous, the god of this world, the earth we stand on. They start every friendly greeting with a personal insult, so that might be a good idea to reply with. That or they might just want to kill you. Honestly it depends on whether or not they like you. I'll say something if I feel I should. I truly feel we can get out of this talking. We just have to speak their language."

Vander, being a bigger fellow, struggles to stand straight and look casual and confident. He grips his large mace in reflex to his fear. You arent even sure how long he has been a Dawn Runner, but dont feel like you should ask now. Its probably not as long as you thought. You yourself are not sure if you should draw your sabre. You feel like it will be for the best to at least wield your Sword of Courage for the supposed effect it gives, because you are surely to be outnumbered. You draw it and hold it in a non-threatening way. You dont feel any different. You look to your left toward the forest, you dont see any of your fellow Runners and the carts are well hidden. You look to your right and see the few bushes with Fash and Stach hidden inside. If you looked really close you can make out something is there, but your presence should be distraction enough. You with Teanna and Vander stand firm to meet the Fellers.

The chanting gets louder and louder as they approach. It sounds like some kind of war chant. Sheesh, you swear its as loud as 80 men. Your armpits get annoyingly wet. As they get closer the chant falls apart and mixes into a conglomerate of mushed voices. They quiet down as one large man with a long full beard moves ahead of the group. He dismounts his horse. His beard and hair is a sea of black strains woven together. Obviously the leader. The rest fall awkwardly silent. The leader eyes you all up and down and mockingly chuckles.

He speaks, "I know that Dawn Runners go in threes, but two men Runners and a women Runner huh? Did your precious Solaris decide he needed more pawns so he lets the women go with the men now?"

He grins with far too much pleasure. All the Fellers roar with laughter. They are loud and make cries along the lines of wanting to join the Dawn Runners now with this new policy. You look over at Teanna and her face is red. Vander puts his hand over his face.

What to say?

--------------------------------------------------

- Greet him politely
- Insult him back
- Stay silent

Custom Dialogue is highly encouraged.

Last edited:
Top Bottom