TV: Rick and Morty

Requiem

This is the first episode so far this season that's left me with an "eh" view of it. There's so much they could have done to satirize the superhero movie craze, but just didn't. There wasn't much character development either. We know Rick doesn't care about his family and now we technically know that black out drunk Rick also doesn't care about his family, but it seemed such a cheap tease to have them set up that eleborate game, only to have the end game be "Noob Noob is great and fuck you Morty."

I get that Noob Noob is technically the Morty of the Vindicators and that was the joke, plus Black Out Rick wanted to tell Morty something through Noob Noob; he shit himself before he could, but still, it felt like a weak ending.

Overall, pretty weak episode. There's more going on here, I can see that, but still a weaker episode than it should have been.

Like, why go with the idea of a saw based episode instead of just doing an actual superhero episode? Just seemed a waste of a potential set of gags and jokes.

The Hound

Just Monika
Definitely was a weaker episode and I called the Noob Noob twist the second Morty started getting smug about it, there was no way Morty's love was going to be validated even if Rick was black out drunk.

Didn't care about any of the superheroes and they weren't particularly interesting either even though the show went into a lot of background for them. It almost felt like they should have done a normal superhero story, like just show the first time they were with the Vindicators and show Rick being a dick and why they wouldn't want them back for Vindicators 2 and then this should have been a follow up episode down the line where Rick kills them off. We would have been more engaged and it would have had a lot more "Show don't tell" to it.

I still laughed a few times which goes to show even a meh episode of Rick & Morty is better than almost anything else on TV. My favorite part was probably Gearhead being back, again a character with some history leading me to actually care about what he's doing as apposed to the Vindicators.

AndyM03

Wow feel entirely the opposite, really loved this episode and thought it's been the best of the season.
Don't get me wrong, pickle rick tickles me in all the right ways, but something about this one felt really solid. The jetback bloke's corpse flying around for ages was hilarious, the idea of million ant man impregnating or having sex with anything was the most disgusting thing I could ever think of, Morty's adventure checklist, idk, Really liked the gag's. Regardless of characterisation and what not, it's a comedy show first and foremost I reckon, and the jokes landed.

Requiem

I don't know, I just didn't laugh. I don't know why, honestly. I can see why it'd be funny, but I guess I was expecting a little bit more is all.

Null Hypothesis

Donor III
Wasn't the worst episode, I got plenty of laughs from it, but there are other way better episodes for me. Adult Swim took their sweet time posting the episode though. I normally don't mind when new characters show up that already have an established history with Rick, the the superheros didn't seem as flushed out as they should have been for being so central to the plot.

Edit: also no B plot so that was a little weird.

Dunsparce

Okay, now I know you guys are fucking with me. Vindicators 3 was leagues ahead of Pickle Rick. No shit the super heroes were underdeveloped, the whole point of them is that they're generic and shitty, and get killed off in the end. And who the fuck cares about character development. I think we got enough of that already.

I still think the new season is vastly inferior to the previous two, but whatever.

The Hound

Just Monika
I think the fact that we can all feel differently about this episode shows how great Rick and Morty is, literally we're disagreeing on whether it made us laugh a few times or a bunch. Can't say that about many other shows.

Oh and Dunsparce I wasn't a huge Pickle Rick fan but I loved that episode for everything else, I like seeing Morty and Summer deal with shit, I like the depth Rick and Morty can have while also being hilarious, if you want just random shit with no character development go watch Family Guy. I'll stick with shows with a bit more depth.

Dunsparce

Wow, is this the TV equivalent of being told to go play Call of Duty because I didn't like Dear Esther? The amount of character depth in Rick and Morty is maybe one notch above Family Guy. If you're looking for deep and interesting characters, I highly recommend... literally any other show that has ever, or will ever exist.

Rick: House from House, but an inventor instead of a doctor.
Morty: Dumb but nice.
Beth: Slightly bitchy mom.
Jerry: Beta dad.
Summer: The one who's also there.

The characters are pretty much living tropes. The actual reason that people like the show isn't the characters, its the bizarre scenarios they get in to. You've seen them a thousand times in a thousand different shows, but I betcha never seen 'em fight giant heads from space by creating a new hit single!

There's also the fact that the show has actual jokes as opposed to shitty references like in Family Guy (although that's quickly ceasing to be the case).

Tirin

God-Emperor of Tealkind
The A plot of this one was spot-on.

Also whoa, Morty is developing some serious competence.
I'm not sure if I'd say Morty's necessarily developing mad competence, but at the very least he's grown enough backbone to really cut loose when people cross him or his family and has, after years of exposure, grown somewhat used to the supertech that Rick has always been using. This was also, of course, shown by how easily he dealt with the drunkenly-crafted neutrino bomb.

The main plot here was fuckin' great, and it helped us along with some character development from both Rick and Jerry and their relationship. It's pretty rare for Rick to admit he's done anything wrong, and even though he's largely correct about Jerry having been a little wimpsack pitybitch, that criticism making it to Jerry and his attitude changing to the point that he'd even risk his life to save Rick's was some good shit; there may be hope for him yet. Also, seeing Rick turned into a total dumbass was pretty funny.

Dunsparce

After the last episode, I think I'm ready to eat my words on this. I'm always right, but when I'm not right, I correct myself. Because I'm such a humble mother fucker, I'm always right in the end.

Rest and Ricklaxation is probably the best episode of the season, not counting the first one. It actually did have character development *gag* that I was actually marginally interested in.

Easy

Right Honorable Justice
Haven't seen S3E6 yet, but as far as character development goes, I wanna comment: am I the only person alive who remembers when Rick chose to heroic-sacrifice himself to save Morty from an uncertainty loop? Rick's turning out to not really give much of a shit about the rest of the gang in S3E1 felt like an asspull rather than a hilarious plot twist, if only because of that moment.

That said, I've been enjoying Season 3 pretty well. Mad Max least favorite so far, Pickle Rick or Ep1 most favorite so far.

Requiem

I think the fact that the writers are finally showing us that Rick both loves and hates his family is the strongest thing they could have shown us.

You're right in that it felt like an asspull, but with the writers having Rick continously, over. And. Over. And. Over. Again showing that he didn't love his family was getting draining, but seeing that it was leading up to a nice little reveal like this was nice. It didn't feel hamfisted and it helped show that Rick is constantly fighting between loving his family and hating them. Or at least hating how much he loves them.

Plus we got a look at Jessica and how she's possibly also interested in Morty.

Morty's hatred/apathy towards Rick was like a bubble that just needed to pop. I'm glad it did because Morty was getting a little too dark for my tastes. Hopefully this leads to a slightly more lighthearted set of episodes.

All in all, a fantastic episode.

Jeroth

Mach Ambassador
I think the fact that the writers are finally showing us that Rick both loves and hates his family is the strongest thing they could have shown us.
Yeah. It was wonderfully placed that his love for Morty is something that he considers "toxic" in that it's a weakness.

It also speaks volumes that Morty's conscience is something that he considers "toxic" and it seems like Rick rubbed off on him.

Plus we got a look at Jessica and how she's possibly also interested in Morty.
I really loved the interaction between Rick and Jessica. It was so jarring, but fit so well.

"When were you going to get another Morty?"
"That's because you kept drunk dialing me and crying!"

Requiem

I'd be down for Jessica becoming more of a real character. It'd be interesting to see more characters beyond just the family who can handle living the way that Rick and Morty do.

Top Bottom